I'm unfamiliar with the structure and complexity of your desktop app.. but I
think this is one of the absolute best resources (has been most helpful for
me.)

Developing Microsoft ASP.NET server controls and components

by Microsoft press. Tells u when to use each type of storage (session,
viewstate, context, etc.) Good info on object timing creation and event
handling. all it takes is one nugget of information and this book has paid
for itself.

Stan