Professional Web Applications Themes

Need Bryce 5 for Mac - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I had planned to study Bryce this winter, and after hearing that Corel discontinued it for Mac, I rushed out to buy it. Too doggone late! I just missed it. I need to somehow get "Corel Bryce 5 Full Win and Mac" Trying on eBay now. Hoping someone here will have a Bryce 5 for Mac that I could buy. (I already have the book.) Thank you, Jane...

  1. #1

    Default Need Bryce 5 for Mac

    I had planned to study Bryce this winter, and after hearing that Corel discontinued it for Mac, I rushed out to buy it. Too doggone late! I just missed it.
    I need to somehow get "Corel Bryce 5 Full Win and Mac"
    Trying on eBay now. Hoping someone here will have a Bryce 5 for Mac that I could buy. (I already have the book.)
    Thank you, Jane
    Jane Carter Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Need Bryce 5 for Mac

    Somebody is ebaying it. I copied what you'd written above (Corel Bryce 5 etc.), dropped it in a Google search window and got several hits, including an ebay page. Right now, there's a copy with a current price of $39. I have no idea what this software is, but you might want to wander on over to ebay and see what you can find. Good luck!
    Beth Haney Guest

  3. #3

    Jane,

    Look no further :
    [url]http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/924/wo/ZIzwz1SCRjcRJhbUyO/1.4.0.5.10.11.0.1?60,26[/url]

    How, look deep, deep and deeper into your pocket :)

    It's on the Apple UK site.

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  4. #4

    I'm just curious - are there complications to a U S resident ordering from the UK store?
    Beth Haney Guest

  5. #5

    Beth, they won't let you, just as you can't order from the education store if you don't qualify. You can put things in your shopping cart, but when you go to check out, it will know where you live and that's the end of it.
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  6. #6

    Ah ha! I didn't think so, but I didn't want to make a statement like that until somebody else had verified it.

    Jane, looks to me like it's back to ebay! Or at least some other option besides the UK Apple Store.
    Beth Haney Guest

  7. #7

    'Fraid so. If you could order from any country, everyone would order macs directly from the US and avoid the special fees, duty, etc. in their home countries.

    So for once, Jane, I'm afraid the US is on the short end of the stick. Sorry.
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  8. #8

    Hi All, That is what I ordered from my academic supplier and they sent me the PC one.
    The cross platform CD has been pulled from the stores. The UK one is PC too.
    I probably should keep it, as all my kids have PCs, $55 is almost not worth sending it back. I WILL keep it, for Christmas next winter.
    But it is the thought behind all of this; why do these companies pull their Mac versions off the market? They are losing a large school and student presence, I would think that young students are the trend of the future market, and these companies are losing them because they are concerned with immediate money as their bottom line.
    I have been bidding on eBay but don't really like to do business that way.
    But if I have to purchase in that manner, so be it.
    Jane
    Jane Carter Guest

  9. #9

    Jane,

    Is there a university where you live? Or a college? You could try to call
    their shops (I don't know the exact expression for this in English, students
    shop..?) Since there is more Mac in school, you may be lucky and find a
    copy there. And if you don't intend to make money out of this software, the
    academic version might be a good alternative!

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  10. #10

    Thanks Barbara and Ray, Yes, my son-in-law works at MIT, but most of their stuff is for PC. My husband works at WHOI and gets the academic versions on most everything but their supplier is out of the Mac Bryce.
    I have looked at some of the Bryce alternatives, and that is a good way to deal with this. But I am bidding on one on eBay at the moment.
    Thanks for the suggestions, I really want to get the Bryce 5, as I have a course lined up for me to take this winter after I get a bit better with PSE.
    This sure is fun, and I am going to have a winter of goodies to learn. Even if I can't get the Bryce, I won't worry. I did get the Corel KPT Collection of Photoshop plugins.
    Jane
    Jane Carter Guest

  11. #11

    I really want to get the Bryce 5, as I have a course lined up for me to
    take this winter after I get a bit better with PSE....I did get the Corel
    KPT Collection of Photoshop plugins.

    Um, Jane, forgive me here, but do you really want to spend so much time/money/effort on software that is out of date and won't even run on your new computer?

    This would be like me taking a course to get better at Pagemaker...there's a point where things have to move on, whether you like or it or not. I personally like Pagemaker better than InDesign--it does all the limited things I need, but I would never even consider buying it now.
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  12. #12

    Hi Barbara, I sort of have to start somewhere, and have found classes for Bryce. Have seen some of the great art by Bryce users. I thought that I should start at the bottom, as I don't know much about this. I love PSE and I think that KPT Collection are plug ins for PSE and Photoshop. Then when I get the basics of Bryce, I can move on to others, newer and better. This Bryce 5 version is supposed to be OK for OS X.
    I have been able mostly to get things with the academic discounts, so the money hasn't been much of an issue.
    I just immensly enjoy PSE and love the learning process, and have just recently retired, so have plenty of time in the winter to 'play'.
    Jane
    Jane Carter Guest

  13. #13

    > Um, Jane, forgive me here, but do you really want to spend so much
    time/money/effort on software that is out of date and maybe won't even run
    on your new computer?

    Barbara, just because something is outdated doesn't necessarily mean it's a
    bad thing to buy it, or use it. Untill I switched to Windows XP, I was
    still running an astronomy software that was dated 1994, designed for
    Windows 3.11 :-)

    And Bryce can really do wonders. Corel retiring it has nothing to do with
    the quality of the software, believe me. In a matter of minutes (10 at
    best), I was able to a two mountains / sky / body of water drawing that
    looked fabulous!

    Digging the net, I found dozens of groups of loyal Bryce supporters. And
    now that Corel is liquidating it at 50% or so, it's one more good reason to
    go get a version of this software. Have a look at this link :
    [url]http://www.metasynth.com/BRYCEART/classics/bryceClassics.html[/url]

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  14. #14

    Hi Ray, I am glad that I did find the Bryce 5 for Mac. On their forum I found that it will work on OS X too.
    What incredible pictures those guys produce!

    That's a great link! Neat mouse-over too, what a way to do a slide show. I am too tired tonight to even look at how Erik did that,,,,,,,

    Hi Barbara, Yes, I sure will look at the new stuff, but I have to get some of the basics into my brain first. You know, I am not young,,,,, I took on far too much this summer, got way behind in my learning. We have a short swimming and boating season here, just 8 or 10 weeks of the really nice hot weather, so that cut the computer/indoor time way down. Lots of cool and chilly weather coming up, and our activity outdoors becomes much less, so more time with PSE! I just wish there were more hours in a day.
    Jane
    Jane Carter Guest

  15. #15

    And if you have the time, Jane, look at all the other artists :
    [url]http://www.metasynth.com/BRYCEART/PAGES/galleryBryce.html[/url]

    Incredibly stunning!

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  16. #16

    And one very, very talented artist : [url]http://www.aztekgraphics.com/[/url]
    This is really worth viewing, I'm telling you, you'll be mesmerized !

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  17. #17

    Hi, Jane. Yes, right now the top-end emac is more powerful than the top-end imac. That will probably change again when its the imac's turn to be updated, but the emac is a very good buy, no question.

    I'm happy it wasn't available when I got my imac, because I would have felt that I couldn't justify getting the imac if the emac were an alternative, but I sure do enjoy my imac more than I would an emac. But that's just a personal taste thing. If you are strictly logical about it, dollar for dollar the emac is the best deal right now. It just lacks coolness and the adjustable screen (which IMHO is worth the whole price of the computer, especially if your eyesight isn't fabulous.)
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  18. #18

    Hi Barbara, I am not getting any younger, and the eyesight is getting to be worse, so the adjustable screen would probably be great for me.
    And the eMac is at least 50 pounds, and quite bulky to carry. I have wanted to bring my brother's one over here, but I don't want to tote the thing up and down stairs.
    I am hoping the iMacs catch up with power, as you say.
    I love my G4, but have actually wondered if I really need something that big this time. Why wouldn't a nice iMac be just right, and I assume I can stuff it full of memory as I did for my husband's older iMac.
    I haven't gone to our local Mac store to see how I like the new flat LCD screens compared with my lovely big old CRT monitor. I know I don't like the older powerbook screens.

    I love shopping for Macs and computer stuff(I hate food and clothing shopping), so this will be fun this November.
    Oh, almost forgot this; Do the new iMacs have fans, or they nice and silent? We live in a quiet area, and I would rather have a silent computer. Our bird feeders are right outside my window, and I love to hear them.
    Every time I visit any of my favourite forums(this one especially) I get another jolt of inspiration for new toys and goodies!
    Thanks, Jane
    Jane Carter Guest

  19. #19

    Barbara,

    Yes, right now the top-end emac is more powerful than the top-end imac

    I went on the Apple store site and both computers have identical processor (Power PC G4 1Ghz).

    When you say "iMac", you mean the dome like computer? And the eMac is one that has the same shape as the former "flavored" iMac?

    If it's the case, is there something else to look at, asside from processor power, when shopping for a Mac ?

    Ray
    Raymond Robillard Guest

  20. #20

    No, Ray, Beth meant that the grammars are interchangeable. Macs, especially the consumer macs, are not designed to be monkeyed with the way pcs are. As a matter of fact, if you do any work on your new imac besides installing ram in the user-accessible slot or putting in an airport card, you will void your warranty completely. (HFS+ is the usual mac format, btw. One thing to watch out for as unix person is that you don't want to format for UFS or none of your mac apps will run.)

    And congrats on the imac. (My head knows the emac is sensible, but I just can't get past the fact that it looks like a 50 lb egg.)
    Barbara Brundage Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast