Professional Web Applications Themes

Need cheap dos terminal for sco ansi - SCO

I think I need DOS-based terminal software with sco ansi. I may also need some advice. (But I don't want these $450 jobs from Century software or James River or whatever.) I came into an office with one dumb terminal and one DOS PC connected via serial cables to a SCO Unix server running "Medical Manager". The DOS hard drive had been working fine with an unknown terminal software, then it was wiped. Now all there is a new install of DOS. I created a terminal with Procomm Plus for DOS and it successfully logs in with VT100 emulation at ...

  1. #1

    Default Need cheap dos terminal for sco ansi

    I think I need DOS-based terminal software with sco ansi. I may also need
    some advice. (But I don't want these $450 jobs from Century software or
    James River or whatever.)

    I came into an office with one dumb terminal and one DOS PC connected via
    serial cables to a SCO Unix server running "Medical Manager". The DOS hard
    drive had been working fine with an unknown terminal software, then it was
    wiped. Now all there is a new install of DOS.

    I created a terminal with Procomm Plus for DOS and it successfully logs in
    with VT100 emulation at 19200 8,N,1 but the resulting screens are
    mis-aligned. And there are some extraneous characters on the output.

    I tried many different configurations but that was the best I could do. Some
    of the terminal eulations gave the exact same 'almost there' results.
    Identical.

    Tech support dialed into the server and said the server port is configured
    for sco ansi.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks.

    Richard B.
    nospamr_brummel@att.net Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Need cheap dos terminal for sco ansi

    net writes:

    Have you tried including ANSI.SYS or ZANSI.SYS in your CONFIG.SYS file
    and then using KERMIT (everything I've mentioned was freeware when I
    downloaded it)?

    --Myron.
    --
    Five boxes preserve our freedoms: soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge
    PhD EE (retired). "Barbershop" tenor. CDL(PTX). W0PBV. (785) 539-4448

  3. #3

    :
    :>I created a terminal with Procomm Plus for DOS and it successfully logs in
    :>with VT100 emulation at 19200 8,N,1 but the resulting screens are
    :>mis-aligned. And there are some extraneous characters on the output.
    :>....[snip]....
    :
    : Have you tried including ANSI.SYS or ZANSI.SYS in your CONFIG.SYS file
    : and then using KERMIT (everything I've mentioned was freeware when I
    : downloaded it)?
    :
    MS-DOS Kermit is here:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/mskermit.html

    It doesn't need ANSI.SYS; it includes built-in ANSI (BBS) terminal emulation.
    But that's not quite the same as SCO ANSI.

    Kermit 95:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/k95.html

    on the other hand, does support SCO ANSI (including the full keymap) but
    requires Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP, or 2003 (or OS/2).

    - Frank
    Frank Guest

  4. #4

    Frank da Cruz <edu> wrote in message news:<cc.columbia.edu>...
    Forget the free MS-Kermit, the screen paint is fine but the KB will
    drive you crazy.
    If you have a dos version of Procomm configure the SCO port for wyse
    50
    and use Procomm wyse 50 emulation. You will need to do a little KB
    tweeking to get really comfortable use. Better find a really cheap
    copy of W95 or W98 and buy a copy of K95 Kermit. You will get perfect
    sco-ansi, no muss, no fuss.
    Regards...Dan.
    Dan Guest

  5. #5

    On Sun, Nov 02, 2003, Dan Skinner wrote:

    (below reformatted to fit 80 column screens).

    The last time I tried to use procomm, I decided against it because pressing
    the F1 key went into the procomm menu instead of sending the F1 keycodes.

    Wyse 50 emulations are horrible for anything at all sophisticated since
    they're one of the ``cookie'' terminals that require a space on the screen
    for attributes, and really only support one usable attribute without doing
    this. The Wyse 60 emulations are a little better in that attributes don't
    require a screen space, but they're still pretty lame since they don't use
    ANSI escape sequences (e.g the left arrow key sends the same code as the
    backspace so there's no way for a program to distinguish between them).

    One of the best general terminal modes is vt220, and there are plenty of
    terminal programs that do excellent vt220 emulations.

    I would only use scoansi if I absolutely wanted to use the SCO specific
    features such as colors. I use the SCO scoterm X client when running SCO's
    OpenDesktop systems to get a good scoansi emulation, but got away from that
    to just using standard xterms since moving to Linux desktops about six
    years ago.

    It's been years since I used a DOS terminal emulator, but when I did it was
    usually either kermit or telix when I needed its programming capabilities
    (I think that minicom is designed to look much like telix).

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    UUCP: camco!bill PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way

    ``The Income Tax has made more Liars out of American people than Golf has.''
    Will Rogers
    Bill Guest

  6. #6

    On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 03:29:35 GMT, Bill Campbell <com> wrote:

    Okay --

    Appreciate all the responses.

    1. I have no idea how to configure the port on the Unix computer; for Wyse 50
    or anything else. I don't know Unix.

    2. I don't think we can load 9x on the client without a real hassle. I am
    trying Win 3x and the client from dcsi.com.

    3. I did try some of the other terminals and they didn't work.

    Thanks for all the help.

    If it is EASY maybe I could work in Unix for this one task -- reconfiguring
    the port.

    Let me know!

    Thank you.

  7. #7

    <net> wrote in message
    50

    when logging in don't press enter for ansi, keyboard in 'wy50' or whatever
    terminal type you want. If it isn't asking then see the .profile for the
    user and/or the file /etc/ttytype. The emulator terminal type has to be
    the same as the unix side.

    Ron

    Ronald Guest

  8. #8

    I used a Win 3x terminal from dcsi.com and it worked great. Did need to
    reboot the server though after reconnecting the serial port -- even though
    the server-side connection is RJ-45.