Professional Web Applications Themes

Need disk for Help? - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

Is it normal for PS 6.0.1 to require the install disk whenever a user wants to access the help file? Whenever I click on Help/Contents I get an error message entitled "Adobe Photoshop (or "DDE Server Window"): Photoshop.exe - No Disk. There is no disk in the drive. Please insert disk in to drive E." The choices are "Cancel," "Try Again," or "Continue". If I click "continue," the help file opens a browser window and functions normally. Clark...

  1. #1

    Default Need disk for Help?

    Is it normal for PS 6.0.1 to require the install disk whenever a user wants to access the help file? Whenever I click on Help/Contents I get an error message entitled "Adobe Photoshop (or "DDE Server Window"): Photoshop.exe - No Disk. There is no disk in the drive. Please insert disk in to drive E." The choices are "Cancel," "Try Again," or "Continue". If I click "continue," the help file opens a browser window and functions normally.
    Clark
    Clark Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Need disk for Help?

    reinstall photoshop install. take custom. select all (including the help files.)

    what operating system. sounds like win 9x/me. a reinstall there may be in order if reinstalling photoshop doesn't work.
    dave_milbut@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    It's Windows XP Home. I uninstalled PS then reinstalled using the Custom option (Help was already selected). No change. Still wanrts the disk to show the help files (but will show them without). Not a big problem, still annoying. Thanks.
    Clark
    Clark Guest

  4. #4

    did you upgrade over a previous os (win 9x/me)? that can carry problems forward into the new os. xp likes to be installed clean (even the upgrade. you format then it'll ask you for a previous os disk for upgradability verification).
    dave_milbut@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    >you format then it'll ask you for a previous os disk for upgradability
    verification).

    It's even easier than that. Just boot to your CD drive with XP CD
    inserted and you can delete any partition and have the installer take
    care of the formatting for you.

    I've installed every Windows system since 3.0 and XP is the easiest with
    Win2K a close second.

    Bob

    Robert_Levine@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    No, it's a factory installed OS. I'm thinking maybe there's some setting in IE that's causing the problem.
    Clark
    Clark Guest

  7. #7

    I'm thinking maybe there's some setting in IE that's causing the problem.

    Why do you think so?
    YrbkMgr@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    you can always go into add/remove programs, select it. then select "Repair" when the intall screen comes up to see if that fixes your problem.
    dave_milbut@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Are you on a network by any chance? If so, you may have to log on as the administrator because some older versions of Adobe apps were finicky. I know I had a fit getting LiveMotion installed at my work place and had to get the administrator to load it.

    Otherwise, as Dave suggests, doing a 'repair' should do the trick.

    You might also check the Adobe FAQs and also see if there is an update for your version.

    Jake
    Jake_Hannam@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Clark,

    I know you said you have 6.01 but I wonder if the CD you have is 6.0. The 6.0.1 update was posted as a patch and one of the fixes was (from the downloads page):

    Adobe Photoshop 6.0.1 Update

    - Online help is accessible for more Web browser configurations.

    Make sure you run the patch after you install from the CD. That may solve your problem.

  11. #11

    I downloaded the patch and installed it. No change. I assume you mean repair IE in Add/Remove programs. There's no entry for IE, just for the IE patch 818529. I ran sfc/scannow and apparently found no problems. I decided to uninstall 818529. That's when the problem got fixed and PS Help opened up without the error message. A little detective work revealed this statement from Microsoft's KB article on 818529 (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];818529#Issues):

    As with the previous Internet Explorer ulative patches that were released with bulletins MS03-004 (810847) and MS02-015 (813489), this ulative patch causes the window.showHelp method to stop functioning if you have not applied the HTML Help update. If you have installed the updated HTML Help control from Microsoft Knowledge Base article 811630, you can still use HTML Help functionality after you apply this update.

    This isn't the first time MS patches have caused me trouble. I suppose I could install the latest ulative patch for IE, but then what will stop working? Thanks for your ideas.
    Clark
    Clark Guest

  12. #12

    Glad you were able to solve it, Clark.