Professional Web Applications Themes

Need help about PS CS, my images are deformed when i save and open again - Adobe Photoshop Mac CS, CS2 & CS3

I would like to know if someone can help me with this problem....I'm using Photoshop CS in a Mac G5 , 256 MB-RAM. When i'm working with large image files, seems everything normal, but when i close the file and open it again, most of images are deformed, as increased pixels, whit out any shape. I'm a recently user of PS CS, but i've been working whit Phososhop in older versions and it had never happens before. Please, i would like to know if is a memory problem or something else. Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default Need help about PS CS, my images are deformed when i save and open again

    roner@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Are you by any chance opening and/or saving files over a network or to and from removable media? (If you are, don't.)

    Any chance you will put more RAM in that machine soon?
    Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I don't think RAM is his problem, as I work with less RAM than this and never have this problem. But I'm still on PS7...

    Are you saving as a .psd file or something else? Are you receiving any warnings or dialogs when you save and close your files? Or when you open them?
    jonf@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    jonf,

    256MB of RAM in a G5 running Photoshop is a problem.

    Before getting a new machine, I was running Photoshop 7.0.1 in 9.2.2 and had assigned 650MB of RAM to it. I would have given it more if I had been able to, but the FrankensteinG4 was maxed out at 768MB.

    The new machine has 2GB of RAM (the max it'll take), and I'm giving a full 1GB to Photoshop 7.0.1 in Classic. I plan to install CS (in OS X of course) in the next couple of weeks. In OS X, Photoshop can use up to 2GB of RAM, and the G5 can take 8MB of RAM.

    256MB is really a paltry amount of RAM for that machine.
    Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Ann_Shelbourne@adobeforums.com Guest
    Moderated Post

  6. #6

    Ann,

    Well, the cat's still pretty menacing, I'm just getting a little bolder myself. :)

    Incidentally, I think I've figured out what caused the problems I had a few days ago with my mail preferences and other stuff. I had not realized that there was a crippled, trial version of MS Office X on the new computer, so Entourage X launched while I was doing something else in Entourage 2001 in the Classic environment. Then at one point the clock reset itself to a date in May (zapped the PRAM), I set it back, and the 30-day trial Office "expired", somehow deleting some files it had moved on its own.

    Fortunately I recovered all the old mail messages, contacts and preferences. I only permanently lost the mail messages (both incoming and sent) for about two and a half days, April 14-17.

    I've ordered CS directly from Adobe, so it should be here pretty soon if they ship from San Jose, which is about 110 miles SW from me. Hope that I have a better handle on Panther by then.

    I installed Photoshop 7.0.1 on the separate straight-9.x drive, and I've been running in Classic under the Classic installation on the boot drive, where OS X is. I think this is what's recommended if you want to keep both 8 and 7 running,
    Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    I have two copies of the same Photoshop 7 installed.
    Both are on the System HD.

    One is stored in "Applications (Mac OS 9)" and is set-up to open in Classic and can use all of my legacy plug-ins. (Any other applications that run in Classic are also installed in this location.)

    The other copy of Photoshop 7 is stored in "Applications" and is set-up to run in OS X -- in case I need it for anything.
    Photoshop 8 and all other OSX applications are stored in this folder too.

    This arrangement seems to work extremely well -- at least the cat purrs contentedly.
    Ann_Shelbourne@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Ann,

    Yes, I phrased that pretty clumsily. I did not intend to say that Phsh 7 had to be on a separate drive, but rather that if you're going to be running both 7 and 8, then 7 should run in Classic and not in OS X. In other words, I thought you couldn't have both 7 and 8 running in Panther simultaneously, or can you?

    I happen to have 7 on a separate drive anyway, but I didn't mean to imply that's necessary. I just didn't want to make all those as-of-yet-unused drives feel unwanted. :)
    Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Ann,

    Should I install 7 in the OS X folder and set it to open in Panther before I install 8 when it gets here?
    Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    I would install 7 in the OS X folder and set it to open in Panther before you install 8;
    but you may want to install a second copy (same serial number is OK) set to run in Classic if you have many legacy plug-ins.

    You CAN run 7 and 8 simultaneously but you need to launch 7 before launching CS.

    I prefer to keep all applications on my main System disk and keep the others for scratch and storage.
    Ann_Shelbourne@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Ann,

    Thanks for the tip on installing 7 in the OS X applications folder before 8.

    I prefer to keep all applications on my main System disk and keep the
    others for scratch and storage.

    Yes, but you're not booting straight into native 9.2.2 any more. ;)
    Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    True -- the G5s don't let you do that.

    But you can set Classic to launch at start-up and, once it has launched, it runs seamlessly.
    Ann_Shelbourne@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Sure, but then a few things don't like Classic. I bought LivePicture on your recommendation and those of others for the superior extract function, for instance. My $32,000+ TSS system hates Classic too.

    That's why I opted to go for the G4 instead of the G5, even though I would have gotten a huge discount (some $3,200 in savings) if I had bought a fully loaded G5 with 8MB of RAM from Apple.
    Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    LP runs perfectly well in Classic for me. You do need to give it plenty of RAM though.

    [I don't have the pleasure of being acquainted with a $32,000+ TSS system!]
    Ann_Shelbourne@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Ann,

    I had elaborated on the TSS system in response to a specific question by Welles Goodrich a long time ago. (Actually, it cost considerably more than $32,000 at the time, and it will never be available for OS X.) See post #165 in this old thread.

    Ramón G Castañeda "OS 9 holdouts vindicated" 5/22/03 9:18pm </cgi-bin/webx?13.1de91e2a/163>

    Those archived threads bring back memories of how I got trounced when I first visited this forum. My very first question was something like "what on Earth is this 'ImageReady' thing and can I safely delete it?". Then I asked how confident forum regulars were about Adobe's continuing commitment to the Mac platform, and all hell broke loose... :D
    Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    I'll try LP in Classic, then. Somehow I was under the (mistaken) impression that you planned to keep your G4 just to run things like LP.

    The TSS application does require a few other things like extensions that crash Classic on startup, probably because it's not prepared to find OS X in control of some of the computer's basic functions.
    Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    There are very few programs that I still need to use which will run only in stand-alone 9.2.2.

    UMAX's MagicScan (I can't abide VueScan unfortunately!) and Fontographer (which I only use rarely) are two of the few of the few -- everything else that I use regularly either runs in Classic or has now been updated for Panther.
    [It has been a very expensive year.]
    Ann_Shelbourne@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    I hadn't thought about Fontographer. I got an awful lot of mileage out of that application for years. The whole thing came in a single floppy, too.
    Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com Guest