Professional Web Applications Themes

Need Help - Airport Extreme Base Station Needs Daily Restarts - Mac Applications & Software

I'm having an odd problem that just showed up for the first time a week ago but won't go away. My Airport Extreme base station loses the WAN side overnight. Using the Airport Admin Utility to restart the unit then restores communications to the outside world. I've tried most of the traditional maintenance and have even gone so far as to reinitialize the base station and rebuild my system from scratch, but to no avail. Any thoughts would be welcomed. I'm not looking forward to an Apple support call where it's "buy AppleCare" and "pay $49 to talk to me" ...

  1. #1

    Default Need Help - Airport Extreme Base Station Needs Daily Restarts

    I'm having an odd problem that just showed up for the first time a week ago
    but won't go away. My Airport Extreme base station loses the WAN side
    overnight. Using the Airport Admin Utility to restart the unit then restores
    communications to the outside world.

    I've tried most of the traditional maintenance and have even gone so far as
    to reinitialize the base station and rebuild my system from scratch, but to
    no avail.

    Any thoughts would be welcomed. I'm not looking forward to an Apple support
    call where it's "buy AppleCare" and "pay $49 to talk to me" on a four month
    old device.

    Many thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.
    Bruce.

    Bruce Guest

  2. #2

    In article <supernews.com>, Bruce
    Stewart <com> wrote:

    I had a similar problem of frequent restarts with my non-Apple wireless
    router. In my case it was caused by momentary power glitches that you
    hardly notice. Apparently, as explained to me, when the cable modem
    went back on line it had a new DHCP lease, which is why the router had
    to be reset. Putting it and the cable modem on a UPS solved the
    problem.

    --
    Charles
    Charles Guest

  3. #3

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 7:42:26 -0700, Bruce Stewart wrote:

    I have been seeing a similar problem lately with my Airport Extreme base
    station. It was working fine up until about two weeks ago with my ADSL
    line. Suddenly it began dropping the connection on the WAN side, often
    overnight, but increasingly at other times. One time I had to restart it
    three times within an hour.

    I'm pretty sure there is more to it than just the base station. I tried
    substituting an older graphite station for the extreme, with similar
    results.

    I have found, though, that I can keep the connection alive longer if I
    keep a "ping" active. I run it with a 30-second delay and this seems to
    help. It's not foolproof, but my connection tends to stay alive for
    hours or days rather than minutes.

    I also tried running without the base station and using "Sharing
    Preferences" to share the connection via Airport. That at least partly
    works -- I wasn't getting disconnects, but I was seeing unacceptable
    packet losses at times. At least with the base station I don't see the
    packet losses.

    --
    Dave Seaman
    Judge Yohn's mistakes revealed in Mumia Abu-Jamal ruling.

  4. #4

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 11:09:48 -0700, Dave Seaman wrote
    (in message <bitdlc$qaq$cc.purdue.edu>):

    [snip]
    [snip]

    Many thanks for the suggestions to date. In searching the Apple Discussion
    Forums it seems there have been a slew of these problems, all with Airport
    Extreme boxes, since the 3.1.1/5.1.1 update for Airport and the base station
    code came out in August.

    Two of the comments given there were to set the Airport Extreme to 802.11b
    mode only, and to fix a channel (don't say automatic). I can tell you the
    network still drops with those settings!

    Bruce

    Bruce Guest

  5. #5

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 8:24:27 -0700, Charles wrote
    (in message <310820031124276813%com.remove.invalid>):

    Charles, that makes some sense, although the power seems rock solid here (I
    have a very touchy phone that loses its date/time on any power wavering and
    it hasn't so much as hiccoughed all month). Still a UPS is a good idea
    anyway, and for some of the other equipment in the house, too. Thanks.

    Bruce Guest