Professional Web Applications Themes

Need help creating Linux boot disk - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I have installed Suse 9 on the D hard drive inside my PC. In order to avoid problems with the C drive, that runs Windows XP, I did not install a boot loader on my C drive. Instead, I wanted to set up a floppy boot disk that would start the process. But when I use the boot disk I created with YaST, it boots the C drive, not the D drive. How can I tell it to boot the D drive? Thanks....

  1. #1

    Default Need help creating Linux boot disk

    I have installed Suse 9 on the D hard drive inside my PC. In order to avoid
    problems with the C drive, that runs Windows XP, I did not install a boot
    loader on my C drive. Instead, I wanted to set up a floppy boot disk that
    would start the process. But when I use the boot disk I created with YaST,
    it boots the C drive, not the D drive. How can I tell it to boot the D
    drive? Thanks.

    Hiawatha Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Need help creating Linux boot disk

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.help.]
    On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 03:46:33 GMT, Hiawatha Bray
    <com> wrote:
    man lilo
    man grub

    By the way, in Linux there is no "C drive" or "D drive". What Windoze
    refers to as C: and D: could be separate drives, or partitions on one
    drive, and Windoze won't give letters to drives or partitions that
    contain file systems other than FAT or NTFS.

    --
    Absurd Procrustean Egghead Cornstarch Variant Bill Mar
    Bill Guest

  3. #3

    "Hiawatha Bray" <com> wrote in message news:<tw1Pb.544$gnilink.net>...

    I am not familiar with YaST, but in general the other (more rude)
    reply mentions that disks are labeled a bit differently in Linux than
    in windows. Here's a small primer which you will need to tell it how
    to boot.

    Each disk in the machine is lettered starting with "a", and each disk
    is broken into partitions which are each numbered starting with "1".
    Your first hard disk - I'm assuming it's IDE - is going to be
    /dev/hda
    and will have some partitions on it:
    /dev/hda1 - first partition, first hard drive
    /dev/hda2 - second partition, first drive, and so on.
    I'm betting the second disk is
    /dev/hdb
    and the first partition on the second disk is
    /dev/hdb1

    It would seem to me, not knowing your disk geometry (partition map,
    any funky disk remappings in bios, etc.) that you want to tell your
    boot disk to boot fom the /dev/hdb1 partition.

    To do that, you probably want to wait for the "boot:" prompt, then
    enter something like

    boot: linux root=/dev/hdb1

    Read over this if that didn't do it:
    http://www.ibiblio.org/mdw/HOWTO/BootPrompt-HOWTO-2.html

    Where you want to fuss with lilo and grub is if you want to
    permanently tell your boot loader to boot linux from /dev/hdb1 - in
    that case, it involves tweaking a configuration file (/etc/lilo.conf
    or /boot/grub/grub.conf), telling it that "if I type 'linux' at the
    boot prompt, I want you to boot from such and such disk and partition"
    - and then installing that configuration data on your boot floppy.

    If you are feeling more adventurous, read the Grub pages and attempt
    to install grub to your master boot record (MBR) on your first drive.
    I believe this works without messing up windows as long as the
    chainloader line is present. Don't quote me on it, because I haven't
    tried it, and I would caution anyone attempting this that tampering
    with the MBR can get you in more trouble than Michael Jackson at a
    preschool pajama party. [I have gotten grub installed on my MBR,
    *then* installed windows which I think stomped the MBR, and then
    reinstalled grub and it was able to boot windows perfectly. I'm an
    old-time lilo user and I recommend grub forever and always going
    forward.]

    Some info on Grub (tersely written):
    http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/
    Russ Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks for all the assistance. I've taken my own approach to the question,
    largely because I can't find any way of entering the commands you suggested.
    Trouble is, my way isn't working either.

    I'd earlier tried to solve the problem by creating a boot floppy and booting
    from that. But every attempt to create such a floppy failed. Then I found
    the reason.. Buried in the manuals was a casual mention that later versions
    of SuSE can't be booted from a floppy, because the necessary files need more
    space.

    I rooted around in the Suse manual and found instructions on how to create a
    boot CD that'd see the D drive and boot from it. Yes, I know, it's called
    /dev/hdb1/. I called it that in the file I created. Using the instructions
    in the guide, I created an ISO file, then used a Linux CD burning utility to
    convert this into a bootable disk. But when I booted it, things went wrong
    at this point:

    sh-2021: reiserfs_read_super: can not find reiserfs on ide0(3,65)

    It's annoying because right up to that point, it looked like Mission
    Accomplished. Any ideas what could be causing this?

    Thanks!

    "Russ Fink" <com> wrote in message
    news:<tw1Pb.544$gnilink.net>... [/ref]
    avoid [/ref]
    boot [/ref]
    that [/ref]
    YaST,

    > I am not familiar with YaST, but in general the other (more rude)
    > reply mentions that disks are labeled a bit differently in Linux than
    > in windows. Here's a small primer which you will need to tell it how
    > to boot.
    >
    > Each disk in the machine is lettered starting with "a", and each disk
    > is broken into partitions which are each numbered starting with "1".
    > Your first hard disk - I'm assuming it's IDE - is going to be
    > /dev/hda
    > and will have some partitions on it:
    > /dev/hda1 - first partition, first hard drive
    > /dev/hda2 - second partition, first drive, and so on.
    > I'm betting the second disk is
    > /dev/hdb
    > and the first partition on the second disk is
    > /dev/hdb1
    >
    > It would seem to me, not knowing your disk geometry (partition map,
    > any funky disk remappings in bios, etc.) that you want to tell your
    > boot disk to boot fom the /dev/hdb1 partition.
    >
    > To do that, you probably want to wait for the "boot:" prompt, then
    > enter something like
    >
    > boot: linux root=/dev/hdb1
    >
    > Read over this if that didn't do it:
    > http://www.ibiblio.org/mdw/HOWTO/BootPrompt-HOWTO-2.html
    >
    > Where you want to fuss with lilo and grub is if you want to
    > permanently tell your boot loader to boot linux from /dev/hdb1 - in
    > that case, it involves tweaking a configuration file (/etc/lilo.conf
    > or /boot/grub/grub.conf), telling it that "if I type 'linux' at the
    > boot prompt, I want you to boot from such and such disk and partition"
    > - and then installing that configuration data on your boot floppy.
    >
    > If you are feeling more adventurous, read the Grub pages and attempt
    > to install grub to your master boot record (MBR) on your first drive.
    > I believe this works without messing up windows as long as the
    > chainloader line is present. Don't quote me on it, because I haven't
    > tried it, and I would caution anyone attempting this that tampering
    > with the MBR can get you in more trouble than Michael Jackson at a
    > preschool pajama party. [I have gotten grub installed on my MBR,
    > *then* installed windows which I think stomped the MBR, and then
    > reinstalled grub and it was able to boot windows perfectly. I'm an
    > old-time lilo user and I recommend grub forever and always going
    > forward.]
    >
    > Some info on Grub (tersely written):
    > http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/[/ref]

    Hiawatha Guest

  5. #5

    In comp.os.linux.help Hiawatha Bray <com> wrote:

    You are wrong.

    Sure - the reiserfs driver says there is no resierfs on hdb1 (major 3,
    minor 65, or hex 0x341). Therefore you are wrong when you state that
    there is a resiserfs on hdb1, since the reiser filesystem driver of
    course is the ultimate arbiter of what is a reiserfs or not, and your
    ideas are merely opinions in comparison.

    The statistics of human programming errors suggests that you have made
    the semantic error of confusing hdb1, the first partition on disk hdb,
    with the first *linux* partition on disk hdb. But we have no data apart
    from the statistics to work with here. If you could send us the
    somaprobe results, that would be great. Ta.

    Peter

    P.T. Guest

  6. #6

    Much as I appreciate the offer of help, you've just confused me more.

    Sure - the reiserfs driver says there is no resierfs on hdb1 (major 3,

    What are you talking about? I never said there was a resiserfs on hdb 1.
    How could I? I don't know what a resiserfs is, for pete's sake. I said it
    wouldn't boot. Any ideas as to why it won't, and what I can do to make it
    boot, would be greatly appreciated.

    What's a somaprobe? And if the kernel's panicking, how do I find it?

    Thanks.

    "P.T. Breuer" <it.uc3m.es> wrote in message
    news:it.uc3m.es... [/ref]
    create a [/ref]
    called [/ref]
    instructions [/ref]
    utility to [/ref]
    wrong

    > Sure - the reiserfs driver says there is no resierfs on hdb1 (major 3,
    > minor 65, or hex 0x341). Therefore you are wrong when you state that
    > there is a resiserfs on hdb1, since the reiser filesystem driver of
    > course is the ultimate arbiter of what is a reiserfs or not, and your
    > ideas are merely opinions in comparison.
    >
    > The statistics of human programming errors suggests that you have made
    > the semantic error of confusing hdb1, the first partition on disk hdb,
    > with the first *linux* partition on disk hdb. But we have no data apart
    > from the statistics to work with here. If you could send us the
    > somaprobe results, that would be great. Ta.
    >
    > Peter
    >[/ref]

    Hiawatha Guest

  7. #7

    Hiawatha Bray wrote:

    Lol, made my day!

    --
    Ben M.

    ----------------
    What are Software Patents for?

    What do Software Patents do?
    big legal departments as they:
    years of harassment).

    before its too late.

    ----------------

    Ben Guest

  8. #8

    In comp.os.linux.help Hiawatha Bray <com> wrote:

    Why? Is your optical circuit malfunctioning?

    > What are you talking about? I never said there was a resiserfs on hdb 1.[/ref]

    Then why are you trying to boot one?

    (Whooooo! You *typed* that!)

    sh-2021: reiserfs_read_super: can not find reiserfs on ide0(3,65)

    Are you saying that the fs is not a reiserfs? Well, whatever it is, why
    don't you include a driver for it in your kernel, then? And if it is
    not a reiserfs, why *did* you include a driver for a reiserfs in your
    kernel?

    Would you mind explaining your inference engine backtrace? I am unable
    to detect the deduction laws you are applying, given your announced
    objectives and the corresponding observations.

    WHy do you want to know? And why don't you? (not that I am interested -
    I merely wonder what stops you looking it up).

    It won't boot because there is no appropriate filesystem for the kernel
    you have created at the point where you have told the kernel to expect
    one. The kernel is only logical. It does not know how to second-guess
    your intentions from your actions (indeed, I am having trouble myself).
    It merely does what it is told to. You told it to boot from hdb1, but
    there is no filesystem there that it can boot from.

    So either you are wrong about where the filesystem is, or you have
    created a kernel without the appropriate file system driver. EIther
    way, the knowledge of what you have done and what your intentions are
    are locked within your own neural mass, and I am afrraid we will have
    to extract it ...

    You can fix one of the two possible human errors noted above.

    A somaprobe is a full-body probe to trace your neural pathways and
    corporal interactions, with the aim of back-mapping your virtual logical
    structure. The aim is for us to be able to understand what you know and
    what you are doing, and why. The treatment is usually only applied to
    patients who are unable or unwilling to speak for themselves.

    Find what?

    Peter
    P.T. Guest