Professional Web Applications Themes

Need Help from Scratch - Coldfusion - Getting Started

Hello all! Currently, we have a couple of sites that we run that are CF. We currently farm out the work. How complex is it to do CF as opposed to managing a site via Dreamweaver? Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default Need Help from Scratch

    Hello all!

    Currently, we have a couple of sites that we run that are CF. We currently farm out the work. How complex is it to do CF as opposed to managing a site via Dreamweaver?

    Thanks
    Infinite Dominion Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Need Help from Scratch

    Have you done any programming before?

    The majority of CF sites are very simple, and would be pretty painless to pick
    up and be able to manage.

    If the sites in question go beyond Coldfusion, by using some of the underlying
    Java capabilities or pulling in some custom C tags, then that's a whole
    different story.

    Kronin555 Guest

  3. #3

    I believe they are mostly basic CF. I have done little programming. The site
    has been CF for about 3-4 years, so I know my way around the very basic of CF
    code. I basically think I can read what the language is saying, but can't write
    it.

    Does the program create the code for you like dreamweaver?

    Infinite Dominion Guest

  4. #4

    If there is a database involved anywhere, a rudimentary knowlege of data
    modelling is the most important thing. SQL is next, Cold Fusion is third.

    Originally posted by: Infinite Dominion
    I believe they are mostly basic CF. I have done little programming. The site
    has been CF for about 3-4 years, so I know my way around the very basic of CF
    code. I basically think I can read what the language is saying, but can't write
    it.

    Does the program create the code for you like dreamweaver?

    Dan Bracuk Guest

  5. #5

    Do I need to buy DreamerWeaver MX as well as Cold Fusion MX? I thought CF was a
    stand alone program. I may be thinking back to when there was a studio and
    server version. Please help explain.

    Thanks

    Infinite Dominion Guest

  6. #6

    Potentially, you don't have to buy anything. Not sure about the details, but I
    understand that Macromedia basically gives away a "developer's edition" of cold
    fusion that you can run on your own pc. When going to production, you can hire
    a hosting company to provide cold fusion for you.

    You can write your code with notepad or any other text editor if you want to.
    But it's easier with Dreamweaver.

  7. #7

    I would suggest writing your code in CFEclipse (see cfeclipse.org). This is a
    REALLY good IDE that rivals Dreamweaver and it isn't quite as bulky. Also, it
    really helps you out (well, helps you cheat) by auto-filling in the coldfusion
    tags and "guiding" you along.

    Don't waste money on dreamweaver. I think it is overly complicated for
    Coldfusion programming.

    aparsons Guest