Professional Web Applications Themes

Need Help on creating ad - Macromedia Freehand

Excuse me for this elementary post, but I got myself into a pickle. I promised a web client I would design a newspaper ad for him as a favor. I'm a technician, not an artist, and try to stay as far away from illustration as I can. I thought this would be a simple matter of doing a jpeg and emailing it to the paper, but the newspaper requirements are for a pdf. Could someone walk me through doing this in Freehand and exporting to Acrobat to make a pdf? The ad consists of an image and type. Thanks in ...

  1. #1

    Default Need Help on creating ad

    Excuse me for this elementary post, but I got myself into a pickle. I promised
    a web client I would design a newspaper ad for him as a favor. I'm a
    technician, not an artist, and try to stay as far away from illustration as I
    can. I thought this would be a simple matter of doing a jpeg and emailing it to
    the paper, but the newspaper requirements are for a pdf. Could someone walk me
    through doing this in Freehand and exporting to Acrobat to make a pdf? The ad
    consists of an image and type. Thanks in advance.

    dreamweeper Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Need Help on creating ad

    In article <d1qa60$3cc$macromedia.com>,
    com says...

    When you're finished in Freehand, export the file as an EPS
    (File|Export, then select one of the EPS formats under "Save as type" -
    I find that "EPS with TIFF Preview" works well). Then, you can open the
    EPS file in Acrobat Distiller & make a PDF from it. Do NOT try to use
    the PDFMaker function in Acrobat, or the Export to PDF function in
    Freehand -- it will only end in tears!

    You should check with the newspaper to determine their output
    requirements. Often this information is available somewhere on their
    web site. Many newspapers have a downloadable Distiller Job Option file
    available that contains all the required settings. If not, they should
    be able to tell you what settings they require, which you'll have to
    configure manually in a new Job Option file. Save this Job Option file
    (ideally with the name of the newspaper in the file name) for future
    use. This is particularly useful if you submit work to different
    newspapers.

    Make sure you give the newspaper sufficient time to test your PDF before
    the ad is supposed to run. Generally, if they've worked with you before
    this doesn't take very long, but can be as long as a week if you
    haven't.

    I hope this helps somewhat.

    --
    CHRISTOPHER J. MOOREHEAD
    Toronto, Canada

  3. #3

    dreamweeper wrote:

    You can export a Freehand file as a PDF (file/export; choose PDF as the
    format) but to do it better is a bit more involved. What OS are you using?
    Wes Guest