Professional Web Applications Themes

Need Help, problem with OSX, MySQL, etc. - MySQL

Hi, I'm working on an eMac with OSX 10.3.9 and all updates. It already had Apache and Sendmail and I installed MySQL and phpMyAdmin. Apache sees MySQL and I can create a database via phpMyAdmin, but the install routine of the program I am trying to run says that the DB does not exist. When I started digging into possible reasons, my whole world becomes Unix-flavored and I'm a Windows guy. Any ideas where I should start to solve this? TIA....

  1. #1

    Default Need Help, problem with OSX, MySQL, etc.

    Hi, I'm working on an eMac with OSX 10.3.9 and all updates.

    It already had Apache and Sendmail and I installed MySQL and
    phpMyAdmin. Apache sees MySQL and I can create a database via
    phpMyAdmin, but the install routine of the program I am trying to run
    says that the DB does not exist. When I started digging into possible
    reasons, my whole world becomes Unix-flavored and I'm a Windows guy.

    Any ideas where I should start to solve this? TIA.
    Jerry McEwen Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Need Help, problem with OSX, MySQL, etc.

    Jerry McEwen wrote:
    > Hi, I'm working on an eMac with OSX 10.3.9 and all updates.
    >
    > It already had Apache and Sendmail and I installed MySQL and
    > phpMyAdmin. Apache sees MySQL and I can create a database via
    > phpMyAdmin, but the install routine of the program I am trying to run
    > says that the DB does not exist. When I started digging into possible
    > reasons, my whole world becomes Unix-flavored and I'm a Windows guy.
    >
    > Any ideas where I should start to solve this? TIA.
    My first check would be to find out what MySQL user & password is being
    used by the installer for that program. Then try connecting to the
    database you created, using that same user & password. It's possible
    you need to use GRANT to set up that user with privileges on that database.

    Regards,
    Bill K.
    Bill Karwin Guest

  3. #3

    On Wed, 10 May 2006 19:34:52 -0700, Bill Karwin <billkarwin.com>
    wrote:
    >Jerry McEwen wrote:
    >> Hi, I'm working on an eMac with OSX 10.3.9 and all updates.
    >>
    >> It already had Apache and Sendmail and I installed MySQL and
    >> phpMyAdmin. Apache sees MySQL and I can create a database via
    >> phpMyAdmin, but the install routine of the program I am trying to run
    >> says that the DB does not exist. When I started digging into possible
    >> reasons, my whole world becomes Unix-flavored and I'm a Windows guy.
    >>
    >> Any ideas where I should start to solve this? TIA.
    >
    >My first check would be to find out what MySQL user & password is being
    >used by the installer for that program. Then try connecting to the
    >database you created, using that same user & password. It's possible
    >you need to use GRANT to set up that user with privileges on that database.
    >
    >Regards,
    >Bill K.
    Thanks, Bill, would that be as mentioned at
    [url]http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/grant.html[/url] or is it something I
    need to do in Terminal? Thanks!

    Jerry McEwen Guest

  4. #4

    Jerry McEwen wrote:
    >>you need to use GRANT to set up that user with privileges on that database.
    >
    > Thanks, Bill, would that be as mentioned at
    > [url]http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/grant.html[/url] or is it something I
    > need to do in Terminal? Thanks!
    Yes, you got it, it's the GRANT statement doented at the URL you
    reference. There are a several different environments in which you can
    use that statement. One of them is the 'mysql' command-line interface
    which you can run in Terminal. You can also do it in phpmyadmin (the
    free web interface), MySQL Administrator GUI tool, write a SQL script, etc.

    Regards,
    Bill K.
    Bill Karwin Guest

  5. #5

    On Wed, 10 May 2006 22:48:41 -0700, Bill Karwin <billkarwin.com>
    wrote:
    >Yes, you got it, it's the GRANT statement doented at the URL you
    >reference. There are a several different environments in which you can
    >use that statement. One of them is the 'mysql' command-line interface
    >which you can run in Terminal. You can also do it in phpmyadmin (the
    >free web interface), MySQL Administrator GUI tool, write a SQL script, etc.
    >
    >Regards,
    >Bill K.
    Bill, thanks, you saved me by recommending the MySQL Administrator GUI
    tool. I was logged in as admin and knew the password, but when I tried
    to connect via the GUI tool, I realized that I had to type the login
    name a little differently than I had guessed. THANKS!!!
    Jerry McEwen Guest