Professional Web Applications Themes

Need Help Removing Linux - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I tinkered around with installing Red Hat on my Win2000 machine (because the database software that I administer was just released for Linux) and it was working great, but something really bad happened to Win2000, and when I tried to reinstall Win2000, now all that comes up after a reboot is a grub prompt (before a Red Hat boot menu came up). I would like to remove Linux for now to get Win2k running so I can work (I work from home a lot). I have a lot of data on a FAT32 extended partition that I would like to ...

  1. #1

    Default Need Help Removing Linux

    I tinkered around with installing Red Hat on my Win2000 machine
    (because the database software that I administer was just released for
    Linux) and it was working great, but something really bad happened to
    Win2000, and when I tried to reinstall Win2000, now all that comes up
    after a reboot is a grub prompt (before a Red Hat boot menu came up).

    I would like to remove Linux for now to get Win2k running so I can
    work (I work from home a lot). I have a lot of data on a FAT32
    extended partition that I would like to preserve if possible. Win2000
    goes on the primary partition, and the three Linux partitions and two
    fat32 partitions are in the extended partition.

    I really need to get my Win2000 working (for work) very soon, and was
    going to use Partition Magic to delete the Linux partitions and
    reinstall Win again, but since I upgraded red hat, and it converted
    the partitions from EXT2 to EXT3, partition magic barfs.

    Would it be possible to delete/recreate the MBR so that I can
    reinstall Windows? (currently when I am trying to install Win2k, it
    reboots after copying files, and Grub comes up.. I don't know what to
    do with Grub to allow the Win2k setup to continue working).

    To delete the Linux partitions, would it be easy to convert the EXT3
    partitions back to EXT2 so that Partition Magic can do it's thing?
    I'm so green, I would almost need keystroke by keystroke help.

    Sorry for being such an idiot, I know that I jumped in way too deep,
    but now im getting desperate.

    By the way, why won't FDISK see the linux partitions.. is it because
    I'm using an old version (My startup disk is from Win98)?

    Thanks!

    Jeff McAhren
    Jeff Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Need Help Removing Linux

    from that windows flop, try fdisk \mbr
    That'll rewrite the MBR and boot from the active partition

    Eric
    Eric Guest

  3. #3

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 06:04:06 -0700, Jeff McAhren typed:

    <snip>

    Boot with the Windows 2000 CD and use the recovery mode. Once in the
    recovery console type; fixmbr

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;229716&Product=win2000

    You don't need Partition Magic to delete the Linux partitions. Boot with
    the Red Hat Linux CD and at the main menu screen type; linux rescue

    Then delete the linux partitions without deleting the partitions you want
    to keep. This is all explained in the Red Hat Linux doentation found
    here;

    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/install-guide/ch-x86-uninstall.html

    <snip>

    It's not your fault that you have been brainwashed by Microsoft.

    Because Microsoft does not want you to see them and does not know how to
    work with them. After all why use anything that does not come from or is
    approved by Microsoft.

    --
    SCO + RICO Act = Justice

    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Copy me to your .sig!

    Lenard Guest

  4. #4

    Jeff McAhren wrote:

    ..... visit the microsoft tech support website
    ..
    Democracy is a device that insures we shall be governed no better
    than we deserve. - George Bernard Shaw

    mjt Guest

  5. #5

    > > Would it be possible to delete/recreate the MBR so that I can [/ref]

    not in this newsgroup... you want comp.os.linux.shutdown

    --
    Copyright 2003 Angela Kahealani. All rights reserved without prejudice;
    UCC1-207. All information and transactions are non negotiable and are

  6. #6

    Jeff McAhren wrote:

    I would start the linux installation again and when you get to the
    manual auto partition option - manually delete the linux partitions
    and then abort the install process (shutdown).
    Reboot with a DOS "fdisk /mbr" to wipe grub.

    --
    faeychild.
    faeychild Guest