Professional Web Applications Themes

Need Help Using Dreamweaver AND Visual Studio.NET - Dreamweaver AppDev

We are a web shop currently standardized on Dreamweaver MX 2004 and ASP 3.0. Currently, our graphics folks create each web site in Dreamweaver and put placeholders in for dynamic stuff. Then our programmers manually (using notepad) insert ASP (VBScript). This is usually a problem when the design changes and the graphics people have to work their magic (and mess up the ASP code in the process). We want to convert our ASP projects to ASP.net to take advantage of code behind, form validation and lots of other stuff. It is my understanding that we will need Visual Studio.NET to ...

  1. #1

    Default Need Help Using Dreamweaver AND Visual Studio.NET

    We are a web shop currently standardized on Dreamweaver MX 2004 and ASP 3.0.
    Currently, our graphics folks create each web site in Dreamweaver and put
    placeholders in for dynamic stuff. Then our programmers manually (using
    notepad) insert ASP (VBScript). This is usually a problem when the design
    changes and the graphics people have to work their magic (and mess up the ASP
    code in the process). We want to convert our ASP projects to ASP.net to take
    advantage of code behind, form validation and lots of other stuff. It is my
    understanding that we will need Visual Studio.NET to accomplish this. However,
    giving up Dreamweaver is just not an option. We use its site-building features,
    templates, stylesheets, etc. to create extremely flexible HTML that our
    end-users can even maintain themselves. So I need to be able to let my graphic
    folks continue to use Dreamweaver to build the visual portions of our web sites
    and let our programmers use Visual Studio.net to take care of dynamic page
    elements, database access, etc. In a perfect world these two groups could use
    their chosen tools and pass the projects back and forth between the tools but
    I'm not sure how to accomplish this. Is anyone doing this or do you know how
    we can integrate these two tools for a complete solution? Many thanks in
    advance.

    snorky Guest

  2. #2

    You won't have any problems doing your HTML/CSS in DW and then pulling it
    into a VS project to do your .NET code. I do it every day. DW is hands-down
    the best design tool out there, and is great for hand-coding VB Script, but
    not so good at .NET. VS kicks the crap out of DW for code, but the design
    tools flat out stink.

    So, I use both to build apps until either Macromedia makes it's own version
    of VS or Microsoft incorporates DW into VS. We'll just have to see!

    Regards,
    bT

    "snorky" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > We are a web shop currently standardized on Dreamweaver MX 2004 and ASP
    > 3.0.
    > Currently, our graphics folks create each web site in Dreamweaver and put
    > placeholders in for dynamic stuff. Then our programmers manually (using
    > notepad) insert ASP (VBScript). This is usually a problem when the design
    > changes and the graphics people have to work their magic (and mess up the
    > ASP
    > code in the process). We want to convert our ASP projects to ASP.net to
    > take
    > advantage of code behind, form validation and lots of other stuff. It is
    > my
    > understanding that we will need Visual Studio.NET to accomplish this.
    > However,
    > giving up Dreamweaver is just not an option. We use its site-building
    > features,
    > templates, stylesheets, etc. to create extremely flexible HTML that our
    > end-users can even maintain themselves. So I need to be able to let my
    > graphic
    > folks continue to use Dreamweaver to build the visual portions of our web
    > sites
    > and let our programmers use Visual Studio.net to take care of dynamic page
    > elements, database access, etc. In a perfect world these two groups could
    > use
    > their chosen tools and pass the projects back and forth between the tools
    > but
    > I'm not sure how to accomplish this. Is anyone doing this or do you know
    > how
    > we can integrate these two tools for a complete solution? Many thanks in
    > advance.

    Brandon Taylor Guest

  3. #3

    Originally posted by: Newsgroup User You won't have any problems doing your
    HTML/CSS in DW and then pulling it into a VS project to do your .NET code. I
    do it every day. DW is hands-down the best design tool out there, and is great
    for hand-coding VB Script, but not so good at .NET. VS kicks the crap out of
    DW for code, but the design tools flat out stink. So, I use both to build
    apps until either Macromedia makes it's own version of VS or Microsoft
    incorporates DW into VS. We'll just have to see! Regards, bT 'snorky'
    <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    news:D37ss7$fd9$1forums.macromedia.com... > We are a web shop currently
[...]
    complete solution? Many thanks in > advance. > Thanks very much for the
    reply. Do you ever have to go round-trip? That is, DW to VS.net, back to DW and
    then back to VS.net, etc.? My concern is that stuff my designers do as well as
    stuff my coders do will not survive during this round-trips. I understand how
    this would work well for a single user but any ideas on how this works with
    separate designers and coders?

    snorky Guest

  4. #4

    I also want to allow both designers and coders work on the same apps. Any steps on how to do this would be appreciated.
    FSchmitthammer Guest

  5. #5

    Keep designers out of code-behind files (.aspx only).
    Provide some instruction on being careful with the code and testing after
    each incremental change to detect problems early and provide for easy
    recovery.
    Ensure that all modified files are thoroughly unit tested in the local site
    before check-in.
    Do all check-in/out with VS.Net, rather than DW.

    "FSchmitthammer" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    >I also want to allow both designers and coders work on the same apps. Any
    >steps on how to do this would be appreciated.

    Les Matthews Guest

  6. #6

    Originally posted by: Newsgroup User Keep designers out of code-behind files
    (.aspx only). Provide some instruction on being careful with the code and
    testing after each incremental change to detect problems early and provide for
    easy recovery. Ensure that all modified files are thoroughly unit tested in
    the local site before check-in. Do all check-in/out with VS.Net, rather than
    DW. so you're suggesting that everyone on our team, designers and coders
    alike, must have VS even if they're only using it for check-in/out?

    snorky Guest

  7. #7

    That's how I do it. I'm sure you can develop a safe check-in/out process
    without it - just make sure you involve a VS team rep when outlining the
    process.

  8. #8

    The problem is if you check out only the .aspx and not the code-behind files
    and you don't have VS, then you will not be able to compile in your local
    working folder. The pages will likely error because you do not have all the
    code, thereby, preventing you from testing your changes.

  9. #9

    Someboday has it 'bass ackwards'

    You do not want to keep the designers out of the code. You want to keep the
    coders out of the design. The reason for this is because Visual Studio.NET
    (VSN) is FUBAR and will mangle and delete the HTML source when the page is
    opened in the so-called VSN 'Designer' and its been that way for the last
    two releases.

    It happens when coders open the page in the VSN Designer and then boom-boom
    out go the lights when they leave the Designer or attempt to return to the
    Designer.

    So two copies of the presentation layer must be kept and managed. One which
    is never given to coders preventing them from loading the file(s) in VSN and
    the other redundant copy of files the coders can use and load within VSN2.

    Microsoft guys speaking at events claim VSN 2005 does not mangle or delete
    HTML source but then again they said that for what?

    * FrontPage 97 (mangle and deleted source, Microsoft said "will be resolved
    in next release")
    * FrontPage 98 (proven lie)
    * FrontPage 2000 (proven lie)
    * FrontPage 2002 (proven lie)
    * FrontPage 2003 (resolved)

    --
    <%= Clinton Gallagher
    METROmilwaukee "Regional Information Services"

    > The problem is if you check out only the .aspx and not the code-behind
    > files
    > and you don't have VS, then you will not be able to compile in your local
    > working folder. The pages will likely error because you do not have all
    > the
    > code, thereby, preventing you from testing your changes.
    >
    > "Les Matthews" <LesAMatthews> wrote in message
    >> That's how I do it. I'm sure you can develop a safe check-in/out process
    >> without it - just make sure you involve a VS team rep when outlining the
    >> process.
    >>
    >> "snorky" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    >>> Originally posted by: Newsgroup User Keep designers out of code-behind
    >>> files
    >>> (.aspx only). Provide some instruction on being careful with the code
    >>> and
    >>> testing after each incremental change to detect problems early and
    >>> provide for
    >>> easy recovery. Ensure that all modified files are thoroughly unit
    >>> tested in
    >>> the local site before check-in. Do all check-in/out with VS.Net, rather
    >>> than
    >>> DW. so you're suggesting that everyone on our team, designers and
    >>> coders
    >>> alike, must have VS even if they're only using it for check-in/out?

    clintonG Guest

  10. #10

    "clintonG" <csgallagherREMOVETHISTEXTmetromilwaukee.com> wrote in message
    > Someboday has it 'bass ackwards'
    >
    > You do not want to keep the designers out of the code. You want to keep
    > the coders out of the design. The reason for this is because Visual
    > Studio.NET (VSN) is FUBAR and will mangle and delete the HTML source when
    > the page is opened in the so-called VSN 'Designer' and its been that way
    > for the last two releases.
    Well, I guess you want both.

    You can, however, prevent much of the VSN designer mangling by adjusting the
    designer options. The default configuration provides for automatic
    formatting when switching to design view or when saving a doent - these
    (and other related options) can be turned off though.

    Les Matthews Guest