Professional Web Applications Themes

Need help with anti-spam Thoth filtering - Mac Networking

It's not obvious, but there's got to be a way to filter posts that have been cross-posted to...say...more than 5 news groups...right? Also, many spammers seem to like using repeating characters in the titles, like; Buy this now, because I'm an !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is there a way to filter ANY repeating characters ? Are there any other good filter methods that I can use in Thoth to filter out spam ?? tia...

  1. #1

    Default Need help with anti-spam Thoth filtering

    Dave@UltimatePix Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Need help with anti-spam Thoth filtering

    In article <290620031135076584%Davenot.valid>, <"DaveUltimatePix">
    wrote:
    > It's not obvious, but there's got to be a way to filter posts that have
    > been cross-posted to...say...more than 5 news groups...right?
    >
    > Also, many spammers seem to like using repeating characters in the
    > titles, like;
    >
    > Buy this now, because I'm an !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >
    > Is there a way to filter ANY repeating characters ?
    >
    > Are there any other good filter methods that I can use in Thoth to
    > filter out spam ??
    >
    > tia
    I just searched the User Guide but couldn't find it either...
    Placebo Jones Guest

  4. #4

  5. #5

    In article <040720030043366217%plsperrysc.rr.com>, Paul Sperry
    <plsperrysc.rr.com> wrote:

    Kill
    if Xref contains
    The Regular Expression
    [^:]*\:[^:]*\:[^:]*\:[^:]*\:

    Will kill any article cross posted to four or more groups. Repeat
    [^:]*\: as many times as the minimum number of cross posts which you
    want to kill.

    Paul, thanks.

    How would you verify that it doesn't kill anything else?

    --
    "C'mon, you sons of es, you want to live forever?"
    -Sergeant Major Dan Daly

  6. #6

    In article <040720030043366217%plsperrysc.rr.com>, Paul Sperry
    <plsperrysc.rr.com> wrote:

    Kill
    if Xref contains
    The Regular Expression
    [^:]*\:[^:]*\:[^:]*\:[^:]*\:

  7. #7

    In article <be38k3$brl$8216.39.146.232>, Jammer Six
    <jammerinvalid.oz.net> wrote:
    > In article <040720030043366217%plsperrysc.rr.com>, Paul Sperry
    > <plsperrysc.rr.com> wrote:
    >
    > Kill
    > if Xref contains
    > The Regular Expression
    > [^:]*\:[^:]*\:[^:]*\:[^:]*\:
    >
    > Will kill any article cross posted to four or more groups. Repeat
    > [^:]*\: as many times as the minimum number of cross posts which you
    > want to kill.
    >
    > Paul, thanks.
    >
    > How would you verify that it doesn't kill anything else?
    "Junk" it instead of "kill" it (at least for a while). Then, you can
    still see what it catches...

    Thanks, Paul.
    Placebo Jones Guest

  8. #8

  9. #9

    > In article <290620031135076584%Davenot.valid>, <"DaveUltimatePix">
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > It's not obvious, but there's got to be a way to filter posts that have
    > > > been cross-posted to...say...more than 5 news groups...right?
    > > >
    > > > Are there any other good filter methods that I can use in Thoth to
    > > > filter out spam ??
    > > >
    > > > tia
    > >
    > > I just searched the User Guide but couldn't find it either...
    >
    > Kill
    > if Xref contains
    > The Regular Expression
    > [^:]*\:[^:]*\:[^:]*\:[^:]*\:
    >
    > Will kill any article cross posted to four or more groups. Repeat
    > [^:]*\: as many times as the minimum number of cross posts which you
    > want to kill.
    No expert here, but I also got very irritated by the spammers recently.
    Following hints by others I did this and it worked for me to kill cross
    posts:

    selected the offending post
    chose KILL THIS SUBJECT
    then under SHOW FILTERS LIST
    find and select the filter killing your subject
    changed the FILTER GROUP to NAME IS and just a "." Just the period,
    nothing else
    if desired, double click open the selected filter
    modify it by editing the subject

    I found that by just editing the subject contains the string to just a
    few key words you'd like Thoth to filter posts with this in the subject
    (like an anatomy term or TV scramble)
    it works reliably to remove the offending posts from all news groups.

    Works for me. I had to make just a few such filters to make the worse
    offenders posts go away. I am a much happier camper now.

    Can't say I did anything like the Xref comments made by others and in
    my ignorance don't really understand what they did with them..

    G'Day
    Morenuf

    --
    [email]Morenufnobodyhome.com.inva[/email]lid
    Morenuf Guest

  10. #10

  11. #11

    In article <040720030304469203%PJspam.sux>, Placebo Jones
    <PJspam.sux> wrote:

    "Junk" it instead of "kill" it (at least for a while). Then, you can
    still see what it catches...

    Ah! Of course!

    Thanks, Paul!

    --
    "We're going to rush the hijackers."

    -Jeremy Glick, aboard United Airlines flight 93, September 11, 2001
    Jammer Six Guest

  13. #13

    In article <040720031451575807%emaildomain.com.invalid>,
    Morenuf <emaildomain.com.invalid> wrote:

    > > > I just searched the User Guide but couldn't find it either...
    > >
    > > Kill
    > > if Xref contains
    > > The Regular Expression
    > > [^:]*\:[^:]*\:[^:]*\:[^:]*\:
    > >
    > > Will kill any article cross posted to four or more groups. Repeat
    > > [^:]*\: as many times as the minimum number of cross posts which you
    > > want to kill.
    >
    > No expert here, but I also got very irritated by the spammers recently.
    > Following hints by others I did this and it worked for me to kill cross
    > posts:
    >
    > selected the offending post
    > chose KILL THIS SUBJECT
    > then under SHOW FILTERS LIST
    > find and select the filter killing your subject
    > changed the FILTER GROUP to NAME IS and just a "." Just the period,
    > nothing else
    > if desired, double click open the selected filter
    > modify it by editing the subject
    >
    > I found that by just editing the subject contains the string to just a
    > few key words you'd like Thoth to filter posts with this in the subject
    > (like an anatomy term or TV scramble)
    > it works reliably to remove the offending posts from all news groups.
    >

    > Works for me. I had to make just a few such filters to make the worse
    > offenders posts go away. I am a much happier camper now.
    >
    > Can't say I did anything like the Xref comments made by others and in
    > my ignorance don't really understand what they did with them..
    >
    > G'Day
    > Morenuf
    FWIW there's a decent explanation of regular expressions and how to
    construct filters for repeating characters at
    [url]http://www.smfr.org/mtnw/docs/[/url]
    Its for MT-NewsWatcher so only indirectly relevant, but perhaps useful
    to the OP or other spammees.
    TakeOutGarbage&Trash Guest

  14. #14