Professional Web Applications Themes

Need Help with D-Link Router?Mac OS 9 - Mac Networking

I'd appreciate some help with changing some settings on a D-Link Router. Their service is responsive but each time I explain the problem they e-mail me the wrong answers. I'm on a Mac OS 9.2.1 G3 Beige desktop. Second system, on the home network is a PC (Win95). I was using WhatRoute as installed from the Mac 9.2.1 CD and Fetch 3.03 fine until I installed the DSL line and Router. These applications were working fine on dial-up and still do. Suddenly I cannot run a trace to a domain or IP address. Interestingly I can run the WHOIS and ...

  1. #1

    Default Need Help with D-Link Router?Mac OS 9

    I'd appreciate some help with changing some settings on a D-Link
    Router. Their service is responsive but each time I explain the
    problem they e-mail me the wrong answers.

    I'm on a Mac OS 9.2.1 G3 Beige desktop.

    Second system, on the home network is a PC (Win95).

    I was using WhatRoute as installed from the Mac 9.2.1 CD and Fetch
    3.03 fine until I installed the DSL line and Router. These
    applications were working fine on dial-up and still do.

    Suddenly I cannot run a trace to a domain or IP address.
    Interestingly I can run the WHOIS and PING but not the trace on
    WhatRoute.

    Second problem is I cannot reach my web server using Fetch. The web
    server I am seeking to reach is on a Win2000 box.

    The address for the web director is ftp.MyDomain.Com PortNumber

    ftp.mydomain.com(space)portnumber

    I get an invalid port error message and no connect.

    Oddly, when I use Anarchie 3.7, I set up the addressing the same way
    (with a space between the domain and port number) and it works OK from
    the Mac. It appears however to be inserting a colon when it sends the
    call which is what a PC does ie,

    ftp.mydomain.com:portnumber

    Of course, Fetch won't take that and gives yet other errors when I try.

    When I contacted my web host aboiut this they believe that the router
    is the culprit.

    What I need to do is change what ever settings I need on the router or
    in the Mac to give me the ability to run a trace from WhatRoute and
    use Fetch to access the web server with the port designations.

    I should note that Fetch 3.03 can still access AOL and a Unix server
    (no port designations on either) with no hassles. Its just the web
    server with theport designations that is giving a problem. I can also
    run a trace from the Windows system from the DOS window's "C" prompt
    as well.

    Any help will be appreciated. Its gotta be a setting - someplace.

    E-mail responses welcome.

    [email]dkirk999aol.com[/email]
    D. Kirkpatrick Guest