Professional Web Applications Themes

Need help with database extension - Macromedia Exchange Dreamweaver Extensions

Hi all, I read the DW Help and couple articles on the Macromedia site, but I could not make sense of what is the relationship of Dreamweaver and Database. What I want is to be able to connect to a database (MS SQL or ACCESS) within a command extension and be able to do query, and manipulate the results. Is it possible? Do DW API has such functions? Are there example codes? Thank you very much, --yeudoi...

  1. #1

    Default Need help with database extension

    Hi all,

    I read the DW Help and couple articles on the Macromedia site, but I could not
    make sense of what is the relationship of Dreamweaver and Database. What I
    want is to be able to connect to a database (MS SQL or ACCESS) within a command
    extension and be able to do query, and manipulate the results. Is it possible?
    Do DW API has such functions? Are there example codes?

    Thank you very much,

    --yeudoi

    yeudoi Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Need help with database extension

    yeudoi wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I read the DW Help and couple articles on the Macromedia site, but I could not
    > make sense of what is the relationship of Dreamweaver and Database. What I
    > want is to be able to connect to a database (MS SQL or ACCESS) within a command
    > extension and be able to do query, and manipulate the results. Is it possible?
    > Do DW API has such functions? Are there example codes?
    The DW API does have some DB interaction calls using the MMDB object. However, the exposed call that can get you results from, DB MMDB.showResultset(), pops up a dialog with the results in it. The same dialog that is popped up when the user presses the Test button on the Recordset dialog. So, you don't actually get the results to be able to manipulate them.

    If the DB you have to access can be connected to via a remote server (could even be localhost), you can try to use the MMHttp object and have your server side pages run code that accesses the db and provides the results either as text, or as a file.

    --
    Danilo Celic
    | Extending Knowledge, Daily [url]http://CommunityMX.com/[/url]
    danilocelic *TMM* Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Danilo :
    yeudoi Guest

  4. #4

    Hi Danilo :

    Would you please point to some sample codes for DB connection and query?
    To connect to a database, does user has to create a ODBC DNS and open
    connection thru dialog?

    Thank you very much,

    --yeudoi

    yeudoi Guest

  5. #5

    yeudoi wrote:
    > Hi Danilo :
    >
    > Would you please point to some sample codes for DB connection and query?
    > To connect to a database, does user has to create a ODBC DNS and open
    > connection thru dialog?
    I don't have any code for using MMDB to pull query info, as I've not used it before specifically because you don't get the data yourwelf, it just pops up in its own dialog and you can' manipulate it. The connection to a db is is defined by a connections file (or by a datasource name in the case of a CF page I'd guess). I suppose that you could create your own connection file and work with that.

    As for working with MMHttp to hit a remote server, the only code I've seen is code that I wrote for a series of articles (commercial):
    [url]http://www.communitymx.com/search.cfm?searchbox=mmhttp[/url]

    Parts 3 and 4 may be most useful for what it seems like you're talking about.

    You can write me off list and we can talk more about what you want your extension to do.

    --
    Danilo Celic
    | Extending Knowledge Daily : [url]http://CommunityMX.com/[/url]
    | Team Macromedia for Dreamweaver : [url]http://macromedia.com/go/team/[/url]
    danilocelic *TMM* Guest

  6. #6

    Hi Danilo,

    Thank you very much for your suggestion. I use MMHttp objects, and it works.
    The articles help me a lot in understand the MMHttp API functions. Since the
    database, server files manipulation is done with server side scripting (ASP in
    my case), it simplifies the usage of DW Extension API.

    I have another question: is there a limit to the size of file, or text when
    using MMHttp?

    Thank you again,

    --yeudoi

    yeudoi Guest

  7. #7

    yeudoi wrote:
    > Thank you very much for your suggestion. I use MMHttp objects, and it works.
    > The articles help me a lot in understand the MMHttp API functions. Since the
    > database, server files manipulation is done with server side scripting (ASP in
    > my case), it simplifies the usage of DW Extension API.
    Glad that worked out for you.
    > I have another question: is there a limit to the size of file, or text when
    > using MMHttp?
    I've not run into any issue with file size or text size, however, I've
    not tried it with more than a couple of hunder lines of text in the file.

    If you anticipate a larger file/data, then you should probably look at
    this blog post about how to show a "busy" cursor to the user while they
    are waiting for DW to finish:
    [url]http://www.communitymx.com/blog/index.cfm?newsid=192[/url]

    Or you can use the getFileCallback() function to return operation to the
    user while your http call is going on.