Professional Web Applications Themes

Need help with driver installation please! - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi can I please get some assistance with installing an acx100 driver to enable my dwl-650+ pc card to work with Mandrake 9.1 I am having serious problems with one particular spot regarding creating a subdirectory in the installation directory (I am new to linux and NOT sure what it means by installation directory). Having problems with the paragraph with the "**********" around it. Thanks in advance! Has anybody done this before? The instructions are as follows: Background: ----------- There are currently various 802.11b+ cards on the market which provide enhanced 802.11b performance of 22Mbs. All of the well known ...

  1. #1

    Default Need help with driver installation please!

    -----------

    There are currently various 802.11b+ cards on the market which provide
    enhanced
    802.11b performance of 22Mbs. All of the well known cards are based on the
    Texas
    Instruments acx100 chipset, (e.g. D-Link DWL-650+, USR, Pheenet),
    unfortunately
    thus far the manufactures of these cards have not released public Linux
    drivers
    and TI has not released technical specs to enable the development of open
    source
    drivers. However, a set of binary drivers compiled against a small selection
    of
    Linux kernels is currently available (see the Links section), the intention
    of
    this doent is to explain briefly how to get them installed on different
    Linux
    distributions and what tweaks are needed to get them running.

    This is by no means a replacement for the development of open source drivers
    which are well under way (see [url]http://acx100.sourceforge.net[/url]) but hopefully
    will
    provide a temporary solution to those people who want to try to get these
    cards
    working.

    Also, I hope that with more people using these drivers at an early stage,
    there
    will be feedback generated of potential problems, pitfalls and workarounds
    which
    may well be beneficial to the open source driver development.

    Introduction:
    -------------

    This doent is intended to explain the steps necessary to get the binary
    releases of the acx100 drivers up and running on distributions other than
    those
    directly listed in the binary driver package.

    The following table shows the available binary modules in the current binary
    driver package (acx100_bin_20030503.tgz), the linux distribution they were
    built
    with and the version of GCC that was used to compile them.

    Module Distro GCC
    2.4.18-14 RedHat 8.0 3.2
    2.4.18-6mdk Mandrake 8.2 2.96
    2.4.18-6mdk3 Mandrake 8.2 3.0.4
    2.4.18-686 Debian 2.95.4
    2.4.19-16mdk Mandrake 9.0 3.0.4
    2.4.20-8 RedHat 9.0 3.2.2
    2.4.21-0.13mdk Mandrake 9.1 3.2.2

    Installation
    ------------

    Make sure you have a recent enough version of wireless tools installed, the
    binary drivers are built with wireless tools version 15.

    Obtain and extract the binary driver package:
    "tar -xvzf acx100_bin_20030503.tgz"

    If you happen to be running a stock distribution that matches one of the
    supplied binaries, then you should be able to simply run the installation
    script
    "InstallAcx100" and skip straight to the Configuration section, lucky you.

    Relabelling the module
    ----------------------

    If your distribution doesn't match, or you are using a custom Linux system
    then
    all is not lost, as long as your kernel is compatible with one of the
    binaries
    you should be o.k.

    The first step is to determine what you are running if you don't already
    know.
    The kernel version can be obtained using "uname -r", you should also know
    what
    version of gcc your kernel was compiled with. If you are using a
    distribution
    and didn't compile it yourself then "gcc -v" will display the version of the
    gcc
    compiler you have installed, which should match the compiler used to build
    the
    kernel.

    # TODO Perhaps add a list of popular distributions and their GCC versions?

    The table above shows the names of the modules which match the kernel
    versions,
    and the version of gcc that they are built with. You need to choose a module
    that matches your kernel version and gcc version. Tip: If you are using a
    'stock' 2.4.21 or 2.4.19 kernel, then you will probably find that the 2.4.20
    and
    2.4.18 kernels respectively are a closer match than the Mandrake kernels of
    the
    same version number.

    **************I REALLY HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THIS PARAGRAPH (I dont know
    what it means by the installation directory... :

    Next create a subdirectory in the installation directory that matches your
    "uname -r" value and make a copy of the driver for your chosen kernel. The
    kernel file should be renamed "acx100sta-"uname -r".o. (Clearly you don't
    'need' to make a copy of the file in a subdirectory named as such if you
    install the module by hand, but it might be handy to keep the installation
    all
    together)

    Then enter the new directory and relabel the kernel info on this file with
    the
    following commands: echo -ne "kernel_version="`uname -r`"\0" > version
    objcopy --remove-section=.modinfo --add-section=.modinfo=version
    acx100sta-*.o

    Try to install using the install script to see if this works for you. If so,
    just skip to the configuration section.************************

    If the module fails to initialise then you'll most likely have unresolved
    symbols problems. To see a list of the failed symbols, type: depmod -ae
    If the dependency problem is with version information on symbol names you
    will
    see a series of unresolved symbols ending in "_R" followed by a hex number
    e.g. "__ioremap_R9eac042a".

    If the missing symbols are due to mismatches between symbol name suffixes,
    then
    running the "fixscript" script on the module may solve the problem. Then try
    installing again.

    If there are still missing symbols but they appear to be just for debugging
    /
    logging, you may be able to get away with writing a small C app that creates
    small stub function and then using "ld -r" to link the object file into the
    module.

    Configuration
    -------------

    If the module loads without problems, (you will get a warning that loading
    the
    module taints your kernel, its safe to ignore this warning) and the card
    springs
    into life then you're ready for the next step....

    Firstly add to /etc/modules.conf
    alias eth1 acx100sta

    Either write a start script to initialise your card, or modify your
    distributions scripts to work around some of the problems with the binary
    driver. It appears that it is necessary to repeat the iwconfig commands for
    the
    card to associate correctly with an AP with a short delay in between.

    Not me Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Need help with driver installation please!

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 Not me wrote:
    >Hi can I please get some assistance with installing an acx100 driver
    >to enable my dwl-650+ pc card to work with Mandrake 9.1
    Sure. What do you want?
    >I am having serious problems with one particular spot regarding
    >creating a subdirectory in the installation directory...
    mkdir <dirname>

    man mkdir.
    >(I am new to linux and NOT sure what it means by installation
    >directory).
    Tell what you want to do?
    >Having problems with the paragraph with the "**********" around it.
    Can't locate it. Can you just paste ONLY that pls? Can't you even format
    it well so that one can take pain to read it painlessly?

    V.

    Vwakes Guest

  3. #3

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 20:41:52 -0400, Not me wrote:
    > I am having serious problems with one particular spot regarding creating a
    > subdirectory in the installation directory (I am new to linux and NOT sure
    > what it means by installation directory). Having problems with the
    > paragraph with the "**********" around it.
    [snip]
    > Obtain and extract the binary driver package:
    > "tar -xvzf acx100_bin_20030503.tgz"
    [snip]
    > **************I REALLY HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THIS PARAGRAPH (I dont know
    > what it means by the installation directory... :
    Let's say the acx100_bin_20030503.tgz file is in your home directory.

    mkdir ~/acx100_install
    cd ~/acx100_install
    tar -xvzf ~/acx100_bin_20030503.tgz

    The installation directory is ~/acx100_install

    If you still don't understand, then you need to learn more about some
    basic Unix/Linux concepts. Is there a user group in your area, or (in
    general) someone who can sit down with you in person and teach you
    such things?
    > Next create a subdirectory in the installation directory that matches your
    > "uname -r" value and make a copy of the driver for your chosen kernel. The
    > kernel file should be renamed "acx100sta-"uname -r".o. (Clearly you don't
    > 'need' to make a copy of the file in a subdirectory named as such if you
    > install the module by hand, but it might be handy to keep the installation
    > all
    > together)
    >
    > Then enter the new directory and relabel the kernel info on this file with
    > the
    > following commands: echo -ne "kernel_version="`uname -r`"\0" > version
    > objcopy --remove-section=.modinfo --add-section=.modinfo=version
    > acx100sta-*.o
    >
    > Try to install using the install script to see if this works for you. If so,
    > just skip to the configuration section.************************
    Ed Murphy Guest

  4. #4

    Hi, I think by installation directory it just means the directory where you
    unpacked the files, i.e. the directory where the instruction file is
    probably located.

    Christoph Guest

  5. #5

    [snip]

    When you are starting out, some words do get confusing. Especially if
    english is not your first language.

    You, may want to read up on some things:

    [url]http://www.jonstorm.com/glossary/[/url]
    Xyerp Guest