Professional Web Applications Themes

Need help with simple FMP 3 formula - Mac Programming

Ah, thank you, I'll go back and try that. I actually got another request after I made this script for the database users. They were wondering if the data that is found by this script could be divided by last name, one set being A-L and the other M-Z. In other words, what I'd probably do is have two buttons, one that used the script below and also found only last names beginning A-L, the other finding M-Z. I believe that's achievable too, any ideas? Thanks for all your help! In article <Ayl9c.3592$gnilink.net>, "Matt Wills" <end> wrote:   > work ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Need help with simple FMP 3 formula

    "Matt Wills" <end> wrote:

    > work for [/ref]
    > simple [/ref]
    > I'd [/ref]
    > records [/ref]
    > minus [/ref]
    > and [/ref][/ref]
    J. Guest

  2. #2

    Take the existing script as I suggested and add two steps (between the
    #------------- lines):

    Enter Find Mode[]
    Paste Result ["Inquiry Date", DateToText(Today - 14) & "..." &
    DateToText(Today)]
    #-------------
    New Record/Request
    Paste Result ["LastName", "<M"]
    #-------------
    Perform Find

    Duplicate the script, changing what is pasted into LastName to ">L"

    Assign your buttons accordingly.

    Matt

    "J. F. Sebastian" <jfsebastian*NOT*REAL*tyrell.com> wrote in message
    users.
    divided by
    found
    > > work for [/ref][/ref]
    message
    > > simple [/ref][/ref]
    Basically
    > > records [/ref][/ref]
    date [/ref][/ref]
    database [/ref][/ref]
    the [/ref][/ref]
    a [/ref][/ref]
    gets [/ref][/ref]

    Matt Guest

  3. #3

    OK, adding "Inquiry Date" to the Paste Result line worked like a champ.

    I had to remove the New/Record Request line to make the next part work, it was
    generating a new find request of the entire database, not the set found with the
    first two lines. After that it worked OK except for one peculiar problem.

    The found set for A-L also included some two word last names like St. August
    that should be sorted with the letter S, if the second part of the name was
    between A and L. However, a name like St. Pierre would not be found. Similarly
    true for M-Z, that script would find a last name like De Paul, but not Du Bois
    or St. August. Strange, huh? Any idea for a formula that would find based on
    the first letter of the last name, disregarding the second word?

    Thanks again for your help!

    In article <urwbc.4493$gnilink.net>,
    "Matt Wills" <end> wrote:

    > users.
    > divided by
    > found [/ref]
    > message [/ref]
    > Basically [/ref]
    > date [/ref]
    > database [/ref]
    > the [/ref]
    > a [/ref]
    > gets [/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]
    J. Guest

  4. #4

    Consider creating a calc field which uses nested Substitute functions to
    strip out extraneous characters (space, period, dash, whatever else there
    might be) from the last name. For instance:

    Starting with last names like St. Pierre, Du Bois, Coffin-Wills

    NameCalc = Substitute ( Substitute ( Substitute ( LastName, " ", ""), ".",
    ""), "-", "")

    would yield StPierre, DuBois, CoffinWills.

    Now use this new calc field to paste in your find value (instead of
    LastName, in the example below). Remember that this calc field has to be on
    the layout in order to paste into it. You could lay it under its counterpart
    LastName field on your existing layout, or create a new layout to which the
    script would go to perform the search, then flip back to the one you want to
    use for display.

    Matt

    "J. F. Sebastian" <jfsebastian*NOT*REAL*tyrell.com> wrote in message
    was
    with the
    August
    was