Professional Web Applications Themes

Need programmer for USB project - Mac Programming

I need a programmer familiar with USB IO and InterfaceBuilder in OS X to help me with a worthy cause. I'm trying to read an ultrasonic distance sensor that streams data into a USB port. The sensor is hand-held. I will use it to measure the "edge" of the magnetic field around a person. (A person's magnetic field is directly measurable by a SQUID instrument, which is too expensive for my use. The body's magnetic field is centered on the heart. In a state of meditation, one's hand is very sensitive to magnetic fields and senses a magnetic contour around ...

  1. #1

    Default Need programmer for USB project

    I need a programmer familiar with USB IO and InterfaceBuilder in OS X
    to help me with a worthy cause.

    I'm trying to read an ultrasonic distance sensor that streams data
    into a USB port. The sensor is hand-held. I will use it to measure the
    "edge" of the magnetic field around a person.

    (A person's magnetic field is directly measurable by a SQUID
    instrument, which is too expensive for my use. The body's magnetic
    field is centered on the heart. In a state of meditation, one's hand
    is very sensitive to magnetic fields and senses a magnetic contour
    around another person's body. The distance of this contour to the body
    corresponds to the field strength at various angles from the heart.
    The shape of the magnetic field contour, or "magnetic body", shows the
    dimensions of the heart and reveals the characteristic emotional
    strengths of the person. For more information, see our website,
    www.applied-meditation.org/The_Heart/emotional.shtml )

    I am a programmer myself, but I need coaching or code to learn this
    software technology. Would you be willing to help me out?

    With my thanks,
    Puran Bair
    Puran Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Need programmer for USB project

    In article <google.com>,
    org (Puran Bair) wrote:

    My guess is that you don't really need to learn much about USB. Read
    "Introduction to Accessing Hardware From Applications":

    <http://developer.apple.com/doentation/DeviceDrivers/Conceptual/Access
    ingHardware/index.html>

    Also read "About Kernel Extensions: When To Create a KEXT":

    <http://developer.apple.com/doentation/Darwin/Conceptual/howto/kext_tu
    torials/about_kext/about_kext.html>

    If you need to write a kernel driver, that doent links to tutorial
    code.

    Reinder
    Reinder Guest

  3. #3

    Puran Bair <org> wrote:

    What Physics testbook do you use? Ultrasonic distance sensors measure
    the transit time of an ultrasonic pulse echoed from a reflective
    surface. This time is proportional to the distance and is also affected
    by atmospheric conditions, like temperature & humidity. Magnetic fields
    would have no effect on the acoustic pulse propogation and certainly
    would not reflect the pulse.

    I am a big proponent of the benefits of meditation, but I do not like
    using pseudo-science to explain the process or its effects. The
    magnetic field generated by the heart is miniscule, but measurable, and
    is the effect of an electrical source in a conductive medium. Its
    magnitude would be influenced by things that increase the voltages
    generated by the heart (so it would be higher with cardiomegaly and
    lower with many cardiomyopathies). The magnitude field varies as the
    heart voltage, and would vary as the EKG. This field would have no
    boundaries per se, but would drop off with the cube of the distance.
    The field would not be affected by emotional factors unless they also
    affected the amplitude of the EKG (much more easily measured by standard
    electrocariography).
    ward Guest