Professional Web Applications Themes

Need Query Help - Microsoft SQL / MS SQL Server

Using the following schema is it possible to write a query that will return this data in a single row? TABLE SCHEMA: CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Items] ( [ItemID] [int] IDENTITY (1, 1) NOT NULL, [Name] [varchar] (32) ) ON [PRIMARY] GO CREATE TABLE [dbo].[ItemAttributes] ( [ItemID] [int] NOT NULL, [AttributeID] [int] NOT NULL ) ON [PRIMARY] GO CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Attributes] ( [AttributeID] [int] IDENTITY (1, 1) NOT NULL, [Name] [varchar] (32), [Type] [varchar] (16) ) ON [PRIMARY] GO CREATE TABLE [dbo].[AttributeValue] ( [AttributeID] [int] NOT NULL, [ValueID] [int] NOT NULL ) ON [PRIMARY] GO CREATE TABLE [dbo].[AttributeValues] ( [ValueID] [int] IDENTITY ...

  1. #1

    Default Need Query Help

[...]

    [ValueID] [int] IDENTITY (1, 1) NOT NULL,
    [DecimalValue] [decimal] (9,2),
    [StringValue] [varchar] (32)
    ) ON [PRIMARY]
    GO

    TABLE DATA:

    Items
    ItemID Name
    1 Item1

    ItemAttributes
    ItemID AttributeID
    1 1
    1 2
    1 3

    Attributes
    AttributeID Name Type
    1 Width Decimal
    2 Material String
    3 Image String

    AttributeValue
    AttributeID ValueID
    1 1
    2 2
    3 3

    AttributeValues
    ValueID DecimalValue StringValue
    1 26.40 NULL
    2 NULL Aluminum
    3 NULL image.jpg

    The following query returns all the data for an item and its attributes
    and values. What I would like to to write a query that will format this
    data into columns so that I only have one row returned.

    SELECT I.ItemID, I.Name, A.Name, AV1.DecimalValue, AV1.StringValue
    FROM Attributes A
    INNER JOIN ItemAttributes IA ON A.AttributeID = IA.AttributeID
    INNER JOIN Items I ON IA.ItemID = I.ItemID
    INNER JOIN AttributeValue AV ON AV.AttributeID = A.AttributeID
    INNER JOIN AttributeValues AV1 ON AV.ValueID = AV1.ValueID

    Data Returned from query.

    ItemID Name Name DecimalValue StringValue
    1 Item1 Width 26.40 NULL
    1 Item1 Material NULL Aluminum
    1 Item1 Image NULL image.jpg

    What I would like this to look like is this.

    ItemID Name Width Material Image
    1 Item1 26.4 Aluminum image.jpg

    I assume that I will have to use the query I have above to get the data
    and then somehow format it into a temp table or table variable to get
    the results I want. Does anyone know how this might be accomplished?

    Regards,

    Aaron

    Aaron Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Need Query Help

    SELECT I.itemid, MIN(i.[name]) AS [name],
    MIN(CASE A.[name] WHEN 'width' THEN av1.decimalvalue END) AS width,
    MIN(CASE A.[name] WHEN 'material' THEN av1.stringvalue END) AS material,
    MIN(CASE A.[name] WHEN 'image' THEN av1.stringvalue END) AS [image]
    FROM Attributes A
    INNER JOIN ItemAttributes IA ON A.AttributeID = IA.AttributeID
    INNER JOIN Items I ON IA.ItemID = I.ItemID
    INNER JOIN AttributeValue AV ON AV.AttributeID = A.AttributeID
    INNER JOIN AttributeValues AV1 ON AV.ValueID = AV1.ValueID
    GROUP BY I.ItemID

    Use this query to transform your data into a proper normalised table is my
    advice. The kind of pseudo object/property tables you posted are extremely
    problematic in an RDBMS. You didn't post any PKs or constraints but even if
    you have them it's very difficult to prevent update anomalies and guarantee
    RI in your schema.

    --
    David Portas
    ------------

    David Portas Guest

  3. #3

    Try:

    select itemid,name,
    (select DecimalValue from AttributeValues AV1 inner join attributevalue AV
    on AV1.valueid = AV.ValueID
    inner join attributes A ON AV.AttributeID = A.AttributeID
    inner JOIN ItemAttributes IA ON A.AttributeID = IA.AttributeID
    where ia.itemid = AA.ItemID and DecimalValue is not null
    )'width',
    (select stringvalue from AttributeValues AV1 inner join attributevalue AV on
    AV1.valueid = AV.ValueID
    inner join attributes A ON AV.AttributeID = A.AttributeID
    inner JOIN ItemAttributes IA ON A.AttributeID = IA.AttributeID
    where ia.itemid = AA.ItemID and a.name='material'
    )'material',
    (select stringvalue from AttributeValues AV1 inner join attributevalue AV on
    AV1.valueid = AV.ValueID
    inner join attributes A ON AV.AttributeID = A.AttributeID
    inner JOIN ItemAttributes IA ON A.AttributeID = IA.AttributeID
    where ia.itemid = AA.ItemID and a.name='image'
    )'image'
    from (select itemid,name from items
    group by itemid,name ) AA

    --
    --Vishal

> [...]
    >
    > SELECT I.ItemID, I.Name, A.Name, AV1.DecimalValue, AV1.StringValue
    > FROM Attributes A
    > INNER JOIN ItemAttributes IA ON A.AttributeID = IA.AttributeID
    > INNER JOIN Items I ON IA.ItemID = I.ItemID
    > INNER JOIN AttributeValue AV ON AV.AttributeID = A.AttributeID
    > INNER JOIN AttributeValues AV1 ON AV.ValueID = AV1.ValueID
    >
    > Data Returned from query.
    >
    > ItemID Name Name DecimalValue StringValue
    > 1 Item1 Width 26.40 NULL
    > 1 Item1 Material NULL Aluminum
    > 1 Item1 Image NULL image.jpg
    >
    > What I would like this to look like is this.
    >
    > ItemID Name Width Material Image
    > 1 Item1 26.4 Aluminum image.jpg
    >
    > I assume that I will have to use the query I have above to get the data
    > and then somehow format it into a temp table or table variable to get
    > the results I want. Does anyone know how this might be accomplished?

    Vishal Parkar Guest

  4. #4

    1. As posted there are no primary or foreign keys so even my relatively
    simple query cannot guarantee to make sense of the data. What's to prevent a
    single ItemID having more than one "Width" attribute for example?

    2. The table AttributeValues is not in First Normal Form because the
    DecimalValue and StringValue columns apparently represent multiple
    attributes. This means you can't place check constraints, FK constraints or
    unique constraints on these attributes. No validation, no RI.

    3. Your schema takes five tables to represent a single entity. A simple
    selection on this relation is very difficult to optimise. Indexing on the
    attribute value columns doesn't work well because the attribute rows are
    (presumably) optional for each entity and anyway are non-atomic.

    4. ...or, if your scheme requires a row for every attribute then you have to
    re-populate the AttributeValues and ItemAttributes tables whenever you want
    to add a new attribute.

    > is so that the structure of the db is not directly tied to the code. I
    would

    Not sure I follow. To get anything useful from your data your application
    has to be able to query named tables and columns. That applies equally to a
    column named DecimalValue as to a column named Width.

    To get the most out of SQL use it the way it was designed to be used.
    Something like:

    CREATE TABLE Sometable (itemid INTEGER PRIMARY KEY, [name] VARCHAR(32) NOT
    NULL UNIQUE, width DECIMAL(9,2) NOT NULL CHECK (width>0), material
    VARCHAR(32) NOT NULL REFERENCES Materials (material), [image] VARCHAR(32)
    NOT NULL)

    Doesn't that seem simpler? :-)

    --
    David Portas
    ------------

  5. #5

    I think I understand everything your saying here. The problem I'm trying to
    solve is that I have multiple entities that share the same attribute and value.
    Each entity also has attributes that are different from the other entities. I
    would like to make a table that stores the attributes that are the same for all
    entities in one table and then use the Attributes tables to store the attributes
    that are specific to each type of entity. What I don't want to do is create a
    table for each entity. One of the primary reasons for this is that I wan't to be
    able to add entities without making schema changes. One example of what I would
    like to do is write a query that gets me all the different entities that share a
    specific attribute/value.

    How I can share attributes and values among the entities without duplicating the
    data, which is what happens with the flat table design you show below. I can't
    normal the entity attributes into seperate tables because there are simply too
    many attributes for an entity. I might end up with a table that had columns like
    Attribute1, Attribute2, Attribute3, Attribute4... and so on until I ran out of
    columns. I've always read that when there are multiple instances of the same
    attribute in a table that it should be moved into a seperate table as rows. This
    is what I was trying to do with the Attributes tables.

    Aaron

    David Portas wrote:
    > 1. As posted there are no primary or foreign keys so even my relatively
    > simple query cannot guarantee to make sense of the data. What's to prevent a
    > single ItemID having more than one "Width" attribute for example?
    >
    > 2. The table AttributeValues is not in First Normal Form because the
    > DecimalValue and StringValue columns apparently represent multiple
    > attributes. This means you can't place check constraints, FK constraints or
    > unique constraints on these attributes. No validation, no RI.
    >
    > 3. Your schema takes five tables to represent a single entity. A simple
    > selection on this relation is very difficult to optimise. Indexing on the
    > attribute value columns doesn't work well because the attribute rows are
    > (presumably) optional for each entity and anyway are non-atomic.
    >
    > 4. ...or, if your scheme requires a row for every attribute then you have to
    > re-populate the AttributeValues and ItemAttributes tables whenever you want
    > to add a new attribute.
    >
    > > is so that the structure of the db is not directly tied to the code. I
    > would
    >
    > Not sure I follow. To get anything useful from your data your application
    > has to be able to query named tables and columns. That applies equally to a
    > column named DecimalValue as to a column named Width.
    >
    > To get the most out of SQL use it the way it was designed to be used.
    > Something like:
    >
    > CREATE TABLE Sometable (itemid INTEGER PRIMARY KEY, [name] VARCHAR(32) NOT
    > NULL UNIQUE, width DECIMAL(9,2) NOT NULL CHECK (width>0), material
    > VARCHAR(32) NOT NULL REFERENCES Materials (material), [image] VARCHAR(32)
    > NOT NULL)
    >
    > Doesn't that seem simpler? :-)
    >
    > --
    > David Portas
    > ------------
    > Please reply only to the newsgroup
    > --
    Aaron Guest

  6. #6

    To add to the points David made:

    This kind of kludge falls apart in about one year. Every typo becomes a
    new attribute ("color" and "colour", as a simple example). Orphans fill
    the schema and choke it. Values are forced into the wrong datatypes or
    the number of tables grows. You don't dare remove anything since
    someone else might be using it. You never know if a NULL is actually
    part of the data or just the results of an OUTER JOIN, etc. You can hit
    a "catastrophe point" with the storage bloat and the query complexity -
    one day, the whole damn thing just hangs for hours. If you have a code
    generator, you are still doomed -- the generated code is either safe or
    insanely slow or it is a bit faster and produces erroneous code.

    But you never know about all the crap until you try to do a full
    year-end audit or report.

    I worked for a company where the DB newbies did this all the time. We
    had a database for a sales commission program that was to service 15,000
    salesmen. One of the 60+ tables bloated to 12 million rows in a year.

    Do it right the first time, so you don't have to hire someone like me
    later; DB consultantcy clean up crews are not cheap ($1000 to $2000 per
    day).

    --CELKO--
    ===========================
    schema are.

    Joe Celko Guest

  7. #7

    Hey Joe,

    Would you please read my last reply to david and let me know if you have any
    advice. I get the point that what I was thinking is not a good idea, but
    I've not seen or heard any other ideas. My last post to david I think
    explains what I am trying to do fairly well.

    thanks for your time

    Aaron

    Joe Celko wrote:
    > To add to the points David made:
    >
    > This kind of kludge falls apart in about one year. Every typo becomes a
    > new attribute ("color" and "colour", as a simple example). Orphans fill
    > the schema and choke it. Values are forced into the wrong datatypes or
    > the number of tables grows. You don't dare remove anything since
    > someone else might be using it. You never know if a NULL is actually
    > part of the data or just the results of an OUTER JOIN, etc. You can hit
    > a "catastrophe point" with the storage bloat and the query complexity -
    > one day, the whole damn thing just hangs for hours. If you have a code
    > generator, you are still doomed -- the generated code is either safe or
    > insanely slow or it is a bit faster and produces erroneous code.
    >
    > But you never know about all the crap until you try to do a full
    > year-end audit or report.
    >
    > I worked for a company where the DB newbies did this all the time. We
    > had a database for a sales commission program that was to service 15,000
    > salesmen. One of the 60+ tables bloated to 12 million rows in a year.
    >
    > Do it right the first time, so you don't have to hire someone like me
    > later; DB consultantcy clean up crews are not cheap ($1000 to $2000 per
    > day).
    >
    > --CELKO--
    > ===========================
    > Please post DDL, so that people do not have to guess what the keys,
    > constraints, Declarative Referential Integrity, datatypes, etc. in your
    > schema are.
    >
    > *** Sent via Developersdex [url]http://www.developersdex.com[/url] ***
    Aaron Guest

  8. #8

    >> let me know if you have any advice. I get the point that what I was
    thinking is not a good idea, <<

    I like what Dave posted for specialized sub-categories of an inventory.
    However, if you really do you have an inventory of totally unique items,
    then you might want to use free-text. The only time I have seen
    something close to that was in an art gallery. The descriptive
    attributes were "media", "size" and a few others I have forgotten.

    It was good enough, but a 'Huge Statue' (3D) is not not the same thing
    as a 'Huge Painting'(2D) and what the heck is 'Huge' anyway? Length?
    Width? Volume? Weight? The real description people used for a decision
    was the photograph in the DB and the attributes were a "fuzzy logic"
    description.

    --CELKO--
    ===========================
    schema are.

    Joe Celko Guest

  9. #9

    I have an orders table, an order_details table and a
    customers table.
    In the orders table, I have the orderID (primary key) and
    customer_id
    (foreign key).
    In the order_details table, I have the orderDetailID
    (primary key), the
    orderID (foreign Key) and the itemsreturned field, which
    reflects the number
    of information items (products) that were returned to the
    customer in that
    order. This is an integer value.
    In the customers table, I have the customerID (primary
    key) and te
    customerName.

    I need a query that will return a recordset with the
    customerID,
    customerName, the number of orders each customer has
    placed and the number
    of those orders that have a positive integer in
    the 'itemsreturned' field.
    I will then use the resulting recordset in an HTML table
    via scripting.

    I'm afraid I'm a bit of a rookie, when it comes to more
    than a basic query.
    Is this a candidate for some kind of view?

    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    John

    John Guest

  10. #10

    Hi John,

    (untested):

    SELECT c.CustomerID, c.customerName, COUNT(o.OrderID), COUNT(od.OrderID)
    FROM customers c
    INNER JOIN orders o
    ON c.customerID = o.CustomerID
    LEFT OUTER JOIN
    (SELECT DISTINCT orderID FROM orderdetails WHERE itemsreturned > 0) AS od
    ON o.orderID = od.ORDERID

    --
    Jacco Schalkwijk MCDBA, MCSD, MCSE
    Database Administrator

    "John" <com> wrote in message

    Jacco Guest

  11. #11

    This is great. I was hoping to get at least a hint. Instead, I get great
    help. I'm impressed.

    Jacco, I ran the query and I get an aggregate return. I had to add in a
    GROUP BY clause due to the count() aggragate functions you used. It's close,
    but not quite. I have listed the query, as actually used, below. You will
    notice some small name changes. I used ficticiuos table and column names in
    my previous post to get the point across. Maybe you can take a look, when
    you get a minute. Thanks

    SELECT a.affiliateID, a.affiliateName, COUNT(o.OrderID), COUNT(od.OrderID)

    FROM tbl_affiliateinfo a

    INNER JOIN tbl_orders o

    ON a.affiliateID = a.affiliateID

    LEFT OUTER JOIN

    (SELECT DISTINCT orderID FROM tbl_orderdetails od WHERE od.recordsreturned >
    0) AS od

    ON o.orderID = od.ORDERID

    Group By a.affiliateID, a.affiliateName

    RESULT SET:

    affiliateID affiliateName

    ------------- --------------------------------------- ----------- ----------
    -

    1 A Test Company 54 41

    2 Another Test Company 54 41

    (2 row(s) affected)

    1. Each of the customers (affiliates) return the total aggregate for both
    customers, combined.

    2. "A Test Company" actually has 49 records, with 36 of them having
    recordsreturned > 0.

    3. "Another Test Company" actually has 5 records, with 5 of them having
    recordsreturned > 0.

    I really appreciate the help. I'm a web scripter, not a dtabase guru, by any
    means. You're really bailing me out.

    Thanks again,

    John

    "Jacco Schalkwijk" <co.uk> wrote in message

    >[/ref]

    CF Guest

  12. #12

    Hi John,

    sorry about forgetting the GROUP BY, I was in a bit of a rush to go home.

    You have a tiny mistake in your code, change

    ON a.affiliateID = a.affiliateID

    ON a.affiliateID = O.affiliateID

    and it's should work as intended.

    If not, please follow the instructions on how to post a script in
    http://www.aspfaq.com/5006 and I will have another look.

    Jacco

    "CF Gunny" <com> wrote in message
    close,