Professional Web Applications Themes

Need Simple Answer to Simple Contribute/Firefox question - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

Hello all; I've tried the Adobe help in CS3, tech support, phone support, this forum, other forums, Mozilla, and nowhere can I get a straight answer so I am trying one last time before giving up on Adobe products. I have CS3 Web Premium. The whole suite is on the iMac and a MacBook Pro. I need to make updates to a Dreamweaver site while traveling with a MacBook Air. Please help me understand this. Contribute apparently has the ability to put a plug-in into Firefox so you can update sites remotely. It's not clear from any sources above if ...

  1. #1

    Default Need Simple Answer to Simple Contribute/Firefox question

    Hello all;

    I've tried the Adobe help in CS3, tech support, phone support, this forum,
    other forums, Mozilla, and nowhere can I get a straight answer so I am trying
    one last time before giving up on Adobe products.

    I have CS3 Web Premium. The whole suite is on the iMac and a MacBook Pro. I
    need to make updates to a Dreamweaver site while traveling with a MacBook Air.

    Please help me understand this.

    Contribute apparently has the ability to put a plug-in into Firefox so you can
    update sites remotely. It's not clear from any sources above if the Contribute
    module of the suite has to be on my MB Air, or if I can simply get the Firefox
    plug in for the MB Air, and set up the web site for remote editing using
    Contribute on the iMac.

    That would be the simplest: Use Ct on the iMac to open parts of the site for
    modification using Firefox from the MB Air. That sounds pretty simple to me but
    no one nor any info I can find can confirm or deny this is how it could work.

    Please, if anyone knows if this is how the thing works, save my sanity and
    convince me to stick with Adobe products by letting me know if I understand it
    right and how to get the Firefox plug in.

    Thank You!

    :sad;

    Adobe nickname Guest

  2. #2

    I don't know if I understand your question right, but the plugin you are
    talking about will only function if Contribute is also installed on the same
    computer. The plugins for the various browsers are a way to municate with
    contribute directly from other applications (office, IE, firefox), not complete
    CMS solutions. Contribute will still be the CMS you use.

    I would suggest you install the Web Premium application on your computers an
    use the functionality and plugins you want, to update your website(s).

    ThinkInk Guest

  3. #3

    Dear Think;

    Thanks for the reply, you are correct that it is that simple.

    I'm a bit baffled then about how it's a good solution, if you need to have Ct
    on your traveling machine, you would also more or less have to have Dw on there
    (if you're using the Web Premium package), so why would you also need a Firefox
    plug in?

    I have this huge and capable package on iMac and family laptop but am not
    allowed to use any of its capabilities, even the smallest, or a compatible
    plug-in, on a third machine. So away from home I need to either spend a bunch
    more money on another chunk of software for the few times of year I travel, or
    revert to raw html in a basic text editor and an ftp program. All I want to do
    is change one page daily with some new additions.

    Shaking head with frustration at Adobe.

    Adobe nickname Guest