Professional Web Applications Themes

Need some advice - Developing Integration Module - MySQL

Hello All, I need some advice on how to proceed. First off some background. I work as a Sales Engineer for a Software Company that has developed a product to monitor VoIP passively. They have asked me to develop a Integration Module for a product from a company that I previously worked for. Lets call my current companies product A and my previous companies software B. What I proposed was that from B we perform a DBI connection, via a Perl script, into A to gather the data to import into B. God I hope I am making sense! This ...

  1. #1

    Default Need some advice - Developing Integration Module

    Hello All,

    I need some advice on how to proceed. First off some background. I
    work as a Sales Engineer for a Software Company that has developed a
    product to monitor VoIP passively. They have asked me to develop a
    Integration Module for a product from a company that I previously
    worked for. Lets call my current companies product A and my previous
    companies software B. What I proposed was that from B we perform a DBI
    connection, via a Perl script, into A to gather the data to import
    into B. God I hope I am making sense! This would be the most efficient
    way to import the data into B. Otherwise we would need to remote over
    to A from B execute the sql queries and spit the data out into flat
    files for B to ftp over to itself then import. Yuk!

    So here is the question, Company A is concerned that if we perform the
    SQL commands from B then we would be eliminating our Value Add and
    opening up our DB and loose the control. Is this true?

    I don't see where they are coming from, I have been working with NMS
    type software for 10 years and exporting of data is by no means a
    taboo act.

    What's your opinions?

    Thanks again,

    Joe

    joseph.madi@gmail.com Guest

  2. #2

    com wrote:
    Well "companies" shoule be "company's" for a start!

    Paul Guest

  3. #3

    Paul Lautman wrote:
    And shoule should be should!

    Paul Guest

  4. #4

    On Jan 29, 3:05 pm, "Paul Lautman" <com>
    wrote:

    > And shoule should be should![/ref]

    Well you are off to a great start correcting my grammar. Any relevant
    insight to my situation?

    To all of you that have sent me direct responses, thank you so much
    for your attention and assistance.

    Joe Guest

  5. #5

    Joe wrote:
    >> And shoule should be should![/ref]
    >
    > Well you are off to a great start correcting my grammar. Any relevant
    > insight to my situation?[/ref]

    You need access to a system full of data the company doesn't
    want to give access to.
    Your problem is not a technical one.

    To solve it, you came up with several wildly complex file
    transfer strategies - none of which will get around the access
    problem.

    You've got a problem with no solution, and a solution with no
    problem.
    And you posted both as an off-topic message in a technical group.

    What did you expect?
    Sanders Guest

  6. #6

    On Jan 30, 12:55 pm, Sanders Kaufman <net> wrote: [/ref]

    > You need access to a system full of data the company doesn't
    > want to give access to.
    > Your problem is not a technical one.
    >
    > To solve it, you came up with several wildly complex file
    > transfer strategies - none of which will get around the access
    > problem.
    >
    > You've got a problem with no solution, and a solution with no
    > problem.
    > And you posted both as an off-topic message in a technical group.
    >
    > What did you expect?[/ref]

    Thank you for your response. I intended to ask professional developers
    who were accustomed to working for major/minor software companies of
    their experience dealing with this sort of issue. I disagree that even
    though my question did not request help with a sql statement, it was a
    technical one in that, was the DBI solution not a proper interface for
    capturing data. I have received advice from people working for HP, CA,
    SUN and others. So my post was taken with professional courtesy as I
    had hoped.

    Again thank you for your opinion andI hope that you do not feel that
    technical forums are restricted to only programming help, but rather a
    community of professionals, in this case MySQL experts and novices
    that can seek advice directly from each other.

    Take care,

    Joe Guest