Professional Web Applications Themes

need specific advice on methods to get email and syncaddressbook/calendar/etc. between several machines - Mac Networking

Hi all - I'm looking for advice on how to stay connected to my email, addressbook, appointment calendar, and bookmarks. I'm new to OSX and the options available there, and am now all confused about the different software and possible mechanisms out there for sync'ing, etc. (what's Entourage? How's it compare to Outlook, Eudora, etc.? What's .MAC? is it relevant? etc.) I have the following setup. At work, we have a Microsoft Exchange server handling email sent to my main office email address. I have a desktop Mac (older G4, w/ OS9, but could be upgraded to OSX if needed) ...

  1. #1

    Default need specific advice on methods to get email and syncaddressbook/calendar/etc. between several machines

    Hi all -

    I'm looking for advice on how to stay connected to my email,
    addressbook, appointment calendar, and bookmarks. I'm new to OSX and the
    options available there, and am now all confused about the different
    software and possible mechanisms out there for sync'ing, etc. (what's
    Entourage? How's it compare to Outlook, Eudora, etc.? What's .MAC? is it
    relevant? etc.) I have the following setup. At work, we have a Microsoft
    Exchange server handling email sent to my main office email address. I have
    a desktop Mac (older G4, w/ OS9, but could be upgraded to OSX if needed)
    running Outlook (not Outlook Express, the full Outlook) in my office, and a
    laptop at home (soon to be an OSX powerbook). Sometime soon I also hope to
    get a PDA of some sort (probably a PDA/cell phone combo). I'd like people's
    advice on software/structure suggestions for the following two problems:

    1) I can get my email at work with Outlook, which connects up to our
    Exchange server. I cannot use it to get POP3 email from other email
    services, because the Microsoft Outlook client for Mac does not have a POP3
    module! Also, I cannot use Outlook at home because (according to my
    sysadmin) they have the network set up so that the LDAP (whatever the hell
    that is) is inaccessible from outside our internal firewall. Is there
    anything that can be done? I am able to check it using this web-based
    interface, but that's not convenient at all... And, is there any solution
    which would let me run the same, decent email client on both machines? That
    way, at least at work I could get both POP3 email and my Exchange server
    email. Does Entourage do that? How does Entourage compare with Outlook - is
    it a similar product? It would be great if the email client also let me read
    newsgroups. By the way, I'm on Comcast cablemodem at home; is there any way
    to get the newsgroups from a machine outside my home? Last time I tried it,
    I think the Comcast news server refused connections which were not from one
    of "their" machines. Any way around that?

    2) What I'd like to do is to set it up such that I have access to *one*
    calendar, contacts, and hopefully bookmark database. Whether it be through a
    separate server or by sinc'ing to one of the machines, I'd like to be able
    to make changes to any of these on any one of the machines (PDA, laptop, or
    office Mac), and have the updated info be available to the others. Right
    now, my calendar is on Outlook in my office, and is not visible from
    anywhere since it's stored on my local machine. Same for the addressbook.
    What's the best solution for keeping a single place for all this stuff that
    can then be accessed remotely? Outlook is a pain anyhow, since the calendar
    reminders won't pop up unless I run Outlook and click on the calendar thing,
    so I wouldn't mind changing to another software.

    So, thanks in advance for any suggestions for a decent way to keep connected
    to my info, as seamlessly as possible!

    Mike Levin

    Mike Guest

  2. #2

    On 10/11/03 11:17 AM, in article BBADA569.181C1%net, "Mike
    Levin" <net> wrote:

    It's an e-mail program with high-end Personal Information Manager
    capabilities. Entourage X (the OS X version) can connect to the Exchange
    Server. Entourage 2001 can only retrieve Exchange mail.

    It's similar to Outlook for Windows. It's different than Outlook for Mac
    because it can access regular POP and IMAP e-mail accounts. It's different
    than Eudora because it has calendar, tasks, and notes, and can connect to
    the Exchange Server.

    That's an optional service from Apple, and with it you get an iDisk, web
    space, e-mail account, etc. You can learn about it in detail here:
    <http://www.mac.com/>

    Yes, Entourage can retrieve mail from Exchange and POP accounts.

    Entourage has support for POP and IMAP accounts. However, Entourage does
    not have some of the advanced Exchange features. You can learn some more
    here:
    <http://www.microsoft.com/mac/support.aspx?pid=exchange>

    If you are using an Exchange Server version older than 2000, you can only
    access mail, and cannot take advantage of the new Exchange functionality in
    Entourage X.

    I doubt it. A lot of news servers don't allow you to access them outside
    the network. Others allow you to with authentication. Contact Comcast to
    see if they allow it or not.

    I think the best thing for you to do would be to buy a copy of Entourage X
    for both computers, and update the work computer to OS X. Entourage X works
    with Exchange Server 2000 and up. That way, your calendar entries and
    contacts would be saved to the Exchange Server, and you'd see the same data
    at home and at work. And you'd be able to access both your Comcast mail and
    Exchange mail at home and at work.

    Entourage includes a Palm conduit you can use. There's also a 3rd party
    solution for synchronizing with Sony Ericsson phones.
    <http://homepage.mac.com/jonassalling/Shareware/MobileSync/>

    The only thing that wouldn't synchronize would be your Safari bookmarks.
    For that, you'd need to use iSync with a .Mac account, which might be
    somewhat pricey if you're only going to use it to transfer bookmarks.

    --
    Mickey Stevens (Microsoft MVP for Office:mac)
    PowerPoint FAQ featuring PowerPoint:mac: <http://www.pptfaq.com/>

    Mickey Guest

  3. #3

    Mike Levin <net> writes:

    Entourage is effectively, Microsoft's Mac OS X version of Outlook.

    Can't say how it compares because I've never used it.

    ..Mac is an Apple service that provides an "iDisk" (internet-hosted
    file storage), web pages, e-mail address, and a few other things.

    Do you have to use Outlook?

    I use Mozilla at home and at work. It talks POP3 and IMAP. (I use
    IMAP to access mailboxes on an Exchange server. Works fine.)

    LDAP is a standard for network-wide directories (such as your company
    addressbook.)

    In general, accessing an Exchange server from remote can only be done
    if you can connect to your LAN via a VPN. If your company isn't
    willing or able to provide VPN access, you will be out of luck. How
    do the Windows people do it?

    Mozilla supports this. A few others do as well.

    Nope. A lot of ISPs these days restrict news server access to users
    on the local network. Some will allow remote access if you use NNTP
    authentication (username and password) but many don't.

    E-mail can be done through IMAP - which many third-party e-mail
    programs support.

    Exchange's calendar, contacts and bookmark database requires LDAP
    access and Outlook (or Entourage, I think.) This will require being
    on the LAN or connected to it with a VPN. Otherwise, you'll have to
    deal with web access.

    (I've got the same problem at my office. I have to run Outlook in
    order to access the calendar facility.)

    -- David
    David Guest