Professional Web Applications Themes

Need to permanently cut a hole out of an image in illustrator - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Hi, I have a raster image with some text over it. I need to cut the text out of the image in illustrator. I know I can use a clipping mask of sorts, but I want to actually make that part of the raster white. Pretty much the same thing you'd get if you went into photohsop and overlayed text then hit 'delete'. But I want it to actually come out of the raster image, not just a clipping mask. Is there any way to do this? Thanks. Stan...

  1. #1

    Default Need to permanently cut a hole out of an image in illustrator

    stan_alachniewicz@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    To actually modify image pixels, you must work in Photoshop. There are a few things that Illustrator can do to entire images, but it can't do anything to just part of an image.

    It is not quite clear exactly what you want to do. You say "but I want to actually make that part of the raster white. Pretty much the same thing you'd get if you went into photohsop and overlayed text then hit 'delete'." But, except for Background layers, hitting Delete in Photoshop doesn't make the selection white, it makes it transparent. If you had something red behind your image, and you did this cutting operation, would you want the red to show through the cut area, or would you want it to be white?

    Can you say more about why you don't want to use a clipping mask? It would have several advantages over modifying the image pixels, such as a smoother vector-based edge. If you do it right, the text can even still be editable while it is performing its cut-out function, which would not be true if you modified the image.
    Teri Guest

  3. #3

    Teri,

    Thanks for responding. I know you are one of the gurus here and I'm glad I got you :)

    You already told me what I needed to know "you can't modify pixels in Illustrator".

    I say background because I'm assuming I'd open a flat image, make my selection and hit 'delete' with white as the background color, which would result in a white cutout.

    I can't use a clipping mask because I am trying to create a dwg file for autocad, and autocad, IME, doesn't like clipping masks or compound paths. Our logo, which s, unfortunately contains a raster image. There are all kinds of clipping masks and compound path action going on in the original file, so I had to find a way to remove those. And the only way I could do it with a raster, was to actually cut the pixels to make them white. Am I wrong?
    stan_alachniewicz@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Stan,

    Unfortunately I don't know anything about Autocad or what kinds of constructs are exported cleanly to dwg.

    If you really want white text, and not transparent text that shows through whatever is behind the image, why not just assign a white fill to your text?
    Teri Guest

  5. #5

    It's strange, but in my experience, anytime you have too much going on, including a path over another path, AutoCAD gets confused. It's really stupid that way.
    stan_alachniewicz@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    If you want the text to become raster white and become part of the raster image, set the text in white above the raster image, select both the raster image and white text and object>rasterize image to the desired ppi resolution.

    Warning: This is a destructive solution. No going back once it is made. (except for undo)
    John_Kallios@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks John, that's the kind of thing I was looking for.
    stan_alachniewicz@adobeforums.com Guest