Professional Web Applications Themes

Negative image to positive (color) ???? - Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator

I've scanned a color negative. On page 186 of the manual, it explains the INVERT feature, but states it only works for B&W negatives. Is it not possible to invert a color negative? I've looked in FAQs, the manual and it doesn't seem this is possible with Adobe Photoshop Elements 2. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me. S.B....

  1. #1

    Default Negative image to positive (color) ????

    I've scanned a color negative. On page 186 of the manual, it explains the INVERT feature, but states it only works for B&W negatives.

    Is it not possible to invert a color negative?

    I've looked in FAQs, the manual and it doesn't seem this is possible with Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.

    Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

    S.B.
    Sterling Brooks Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Negative image to positive (color) ????

    Try CTRL+I, should do the trick. Whether it is an exact reproduction, I can't tell you.

    Paul
    Paul L UK Guest

  3. #3

    Sterling,

    What that page was talking about was that color negatives have an orange
    masking layer in them and using the invert command will not correct for the
    orange mask.

    If you've scanned the negative and the scanned image has the orange cast to
    it, the invert command will inverse the colors but you will have a blue cast
    to the image.

    Can you correct for the color cast? Of course, however, most modern
    scanners that can scan negatives have a built in color negative mode that
    will do the correction for you at scan time. It's better to let the scanner
    do the correction as the bit depth is greater in the scanner. Check the
    manual for your scanner and see if it has this capability.

    The one problem with the scanner approach is that not all films have the
    same orange mask and some scanners will produce off color results. You may
    need to do some tweaking of the color anyway, regardless of how well the
    scanner did it's job.

    Try using the auto levels adjustment. That seems to do a pretty fair job of
    getting you in the ballpark and you can go from there in fine tuning the
    adjustments. You might also try the remove color cast command.

    RobertHJones Guest

  4. #4

    Sorry, a little OT, but not being a native speaker, what's the exact meaning of the expression: "getting you in the ballpark"?

    I know what's a ballpark, a long time ago in the history of baseball outside the hall of fame, I was a very promising curve ball pitcher but never fullfilled this promise. ;-(

    As far as I understand, it should mean you know where to start and how to go on. I'm right?

    Leen
    Leen Koper Guest

  5. #5

    Leen,

    That is an americanism that means to get you into the general area. Your explanation is pretty accurate. In dutch I think the closest expression might be, "in de buurt".

    Rich
    Richard Coencas Guest

  6. #6

    "in the ballpark" means "reasonably close"

    See
    [url]http://www.takeourword.com/Issue054.html[/url]
    (page down about half way) for the origin of the phrase.

    "Leen Koper" <leenkoperzeelandnet.nl> wrote in message
    > Sorry, a little OT, but not being a native speaker, what's the exact
    meaning of the expression: "getting you in the ballpark"?

    > I know what's a ballpark, a long time ago in the history of baseball
    outside the hall of fame, I was a very promising curve ball pitcher but
    never fullfilled this promise. ;-(

    > As far as I understand, it should mean you know where to start and how to
    go on. I'm right?

    > Leen

    JP Kabala Guest

  7. #7

    "Getting in the ballpark" would mean getting close to the result you want. Color correction is not often an exacting science, unless you want to make exacting changes in your images (e.g., change RGB 221,245,234 to RGB 231, 231, 231). When you are "in the ballpark" things are starting to get better -- say 90-95% plus the way you think they should. You then need to do fine-tuning, perhaps selctive changes, etc.

    The orange cast should be a linear one, and while I think you really do want to use the scanner to make the most of sampling (using scanner software to determine/select white/black points before you scan ... some will have an auto-select), you could possibly adjust the neg using levels (or Auto, as was suggested). Posting the image somewhere would allow us to take a better look at what you are working with.

    Richard Lynch
    Richard Lynch Guest

  8. #8

    Richard, where did you learn Dutch?
    Your name "Coencas" doesnot sound very "Dutch"......

    As far as I can see this translation is exactly right!
    Knowing an expression like this means your ability to speak Dutch should be very good!

    Leen
    Leen Koper Guest

  9. #9

    Hey, our guy Rich is very talented!
    Beth Haney Guest

  10. #10

    Leen,

    I don't have a Dutch bone in my body, but my first wife was from Holland and I lived there from 1987 to 1998. So, after a long time, I got to be fairly fluent. A skill that I rarely get a chance to use back here.
    Rich
    P.S. I even know how to pronounce Leen corretly <G>
    Richard Coencas Guest

  11. #11

    Richard, I do know how to pronounce your name too! ;-)
    Where did you live in the Netherlands?

    Funny how things suddenly can turn from OT (off topic) to OT (on topic)...
    As you are familiar with the Dutch language and a Photoshop expert, you might be able to answer my question about the Dutch version of PE2.
    Is it true I cannot apply plug ins like the Shipley curves because it is not supported by the Dutch version? Or is it my fault and lack of knowledge?
    I usually think the latter. ;-)
    But I might be wrong.

    Leen
    Leen Koper Guest

  12. #12

    Hi Leen,

    I lived for several years in Den Haag and then we spent a number of years in my ex's birthplace, Vlaardingen.

    As to the plug-ins. I've never tried any of these things on a localized version, but my best guess is that he is pointing inside of his actions to specific file locations that are different in the Dutch version. If you look in your application folder you will see that some folder names are translated. That might be what is breaking the actions he is depending on.

    Maybe you could write to Mr. Shipley or Richard Lynch and see if they might be interested in creating a localized version of the add-ons.

    Rich
    Richard Coencas Guest

  13. #13

    I am sure you spent much time sharing this website! I'm really here to appreciate that you are a good writer!!! I hope to be read more new commemts from you. Thank you so much!
    [url=http://positivelifestyle.co/]positive thinking[/url]
    Obertury is offline Junior Member
    Jul 2012
    Location