Professional Web Applications Themes

Nested Button in Movie Clip - Macromedia Flash Sitedesign

Hi Guys, I am having problems with the buttons in a drop down menu I have created. The buttons are nested in movie clips and I cannot make them pick up links to different scenes in the same Flash file. All buttons work fine when I use a getURL command, but nothing happens when I use gotoAndPlay('Scene 2',1)? My non-working button script looks like this: on (release) { gotoAndPlay('home',200); } Is there a problem linking from "inside" a Movie Clip to a different scene or even to frames in the same scene, but "outside" the Movie Clip? Do I need ...

  1. #1

    Default Nested Button in Movie Clip

    Hi Guys,

    I am having problems with the buttons in a drop down menu I have created. The
    buttons are nested in movie clips and I cannot make them pick up links to
    different scenes in the same Flash file. All buttons work fine when I use a
    getURL command, but nothing happens when I use gotoAndPlay('Scene 2',1)?

    My non-working button script looks like this:

    on (release) {
    gotoAndPlay('home',200);
    }

    Is there a problem linking from "inside" a Movie Clip to a different scene or
    even to frames in the same scene, but "outside" the Movie Clip? Do I need to
    add extra scripting or is it just not possible?

    Your help is much appreciated.

    Cheers,
    Jacob

    Domarus Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Nested Button in Movie Clip

    yes and also you dont use scenes!

    "Domarus" <com> wrote in message
    The

    scene or

    J Guest

  4. #4

    Yes there is a problem...there doesn't exist a Scene 2 in the movieclip... the
    scene 2 is in the main movie... so what you need to do is add a _root. command
    to your button script... so something like this..

    on (release) {
    _root.gotoAndPlay('home',200);
    }

    Greetz
    [Sprnv4]

    Sprnv4 Guest

  5. #5

    YEEEAAAH. It's working! Cheers Mate!
    Domarus Guest

  6. #6

    I've had the same problem. Why is it so? In proper programming languages (like c++) it just would not happen.
    wayneos Guest

  7. #7

    Does anyone have a solution to this problem?
    Fasty Guest

  8. #8

    same problem :0S
    silentWord Guest

  9. #9

    use frame lables not scenes and frame numbers makes life so much easier.

    make sure that you are targeting the movie that you want to affect.

    "silentWord" <com> wrote in message

    J Guest

  10. #10

    Alright dudes, I had the same problem but managed to come across this solution
    that is supposed to work but didn't for me but what the hell, it may for you:

    on (release) {
    with (_root) {
    gotoAndPlay("Scene3", 1);
    }
    }

    The code that did work was putting a frame label in the first frame of the
    scene - "scene3"

    on (release) {
    _root.gotoAndPlay ("scene3");
    }

    Hope this helps.

    jamiebarry Guest

  11. #11

    as I said use lables!

    :)

    "jamiebarry" <com> wrote in message
    solution
    you:
    the

    J Guest

  12. #12

    I think J hit the nail on the head when he said:
    "make sure that you are targeting the movie that you want to affect."

    I'm guessing that you can make it work by changing your code to:

    on (release) {
    _root.gotoAndPlay('home',200);
    }

    or:

    on (release) {
    _level0.gotoAndPlay('home',200);
    }

    The problem with leaving out the _level0 or _root is that your goto command
    is only targeting the movie that your button is embedded in. In this case,
    that's no good. Using labels instead of frames may help too.

    Hope that helps,
    Sonam Miller
    http://www.inertiadesign.net

    this._name Guest

  13. #13

    hi guys,
    I have a problem. i had created a button in movie clip to go from one seane
    to another but when i tested
    a movie link doesn't work.
    i had used following script
    on (release) {
    gotoAndPlay("team", 1);
    }
    team is my another scene
    hope so u help me as erliar as possible
    thanks in advance
    vin

    vinrau Guest

  14. #14

    Simply add _root before gotAndPlay ...

    Should look something like this:

    on (release) {
    _root.gotoAndPlay('team',1);
    }
    Domarus Guest

  15. #15

    thanks
    but i did this script

    on (release) {
    _root.gotoAndPlay('team',1);
    }
    but that's no results

    vinrau Guest

  16. #16

    I'm a complete beginner, but should it have team.swf?
    "vinrau" <com> wrote in message

    Colin Guest