Professional Web Applications Themes

Nested Style to exact "Word" or "Small Phrase" - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

Ok, this question is for all you nested style experts - I use and love nested styles, but there's one trick I haven't figured out. As background, I know that I can used a series of characters as my style end signal, such as ".,?" ( a period, a comma, or a question mark) so that my style will end when it encounters any of these characters. I also understand that I could place an "end nested style" character, and I do that often, but that's not my question. My question is: How can I get the style to look ...

  1. #1

    Default Nested Style to exact "Word" or "Small Phrase"

    Ok, this question is for all you nested style experts - I use and love nested styles, but there's one trick I haven't figured out.
    As background, I know that I can used a series of characters as my style end signal, such as ".,?" ( a period, a comma, or a question mark) so that my style will end when it encounters any of these characters. I also understand that I could place an "end nested style" character, and I do that often, but that's not my question.
    My question is: How can I get the style to look for a particular exact word, or even a phrase? Let's say, for instance, that my section always ends with a sign off phrase, such as "Wow!", or "And that's the truth!". If I type that whole thing in the field, the style will stop when it encounters ANY of the characters I've typed in such as the "W", or the "o" or the "w" of "Wow!" If I put the word in quotes, then any quote character will trigger the end of style.
    I would like the sytle to end when it encounters the complete string! Has anyone figured a way to do this trick?
    SilverDollar@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: IDCS2: Nested Style, up to, exact "Word" or "Small Phrase"

    Nested style work only on individual characters. If you try to use more than one character, the end of the style will be at the first occurrence of any of the characters you put there.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Ok, that's what I thought. Maybe in CS3 !
    SilverDollar@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    An easy workaround would be to do a find/replace and put in the replace box an "end nested style here" character.
    Fred_Goldman@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Yessir! Been there, done that!
    SilverDollar@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    One thing I REALLY wish you could do is resize the Paragraph Style Options dialog box so that you could see all your nested styles at once instead of having to scroll that little window. Hard to keep track of where you are when you're scrolling up and down...
    Rick_Whiteman@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    do you mean the para styles palette? drag bottom left corner down.
    Tom_L@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    No, he means the Style Options dialog. And I agree. Once you get to 10 or so nested styles, it's the very devil to keep them organized when you can only see three.

  9. #9

    So, Dave, do you know of a good way to do what amounts to conditional formatting in a nested style?

    I've got a series of hotel listings all styled with nested style sheets. There's hotel name, address, listing info, web address and a series of icons for pool, restaurant, handicapped access, etc. The kicker is that I want to style the web addresses so that they will never break mid-url, but not every hotel listing has a web address. Is there a way I can have it style the icons if it never finds and styles the step before that (i.e. the web address)?

    I've got hundreds and hundreds of these listings and I'd really rather not go through each one to manually set the non-breaking style. But I'm going to bill the job as if I did! :)
    Rick_Whiteman@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    You can't do conditional formatting with nested styles, but you can use the End Nested Style Here character to terminate a style that doesn't have a terminator or even to skip a nested style altogether.

    You might be able to insert them with find/change, depending on the cirstances.

  11. #11

    Yes, I've made a demo style that uses invisible characters before and after the URL. Even if there is no URL, the styles are still triggered in sequence.

    I don't know what your layout looks like, but I put the three elements on a single line, with the phone flush left, the URL sitting on a center tab, and the icons forced right with a Right Indent TAb character. The nested style uses PhoneNumber to the first TAB, then URLItalic to the Right INdent Tab and ICONDingbats to the end.

    As long as the "TAB" and "Right Indent Tab" characters are there, you don't need a URL to make it look right.

    It would be an easy matter to insert the Right Indent Tab with a Find/Replace on the ".com", replacing ".com" with ".com & Right Indent Tab". You'd only have to paste the character manually in cases where the hotel has no URL.

    Of course, and End Nested Style, or any other invisible character, would work if you're not using a right indent tab.
    SilverDollar@adobeforums.com Guest