Professional Web Applications Themes

Net transfers stall, but appear when cancelled - Mac Networking

Very often I find myself waiting for a web page to display, or for a usenet news article to display. The window is blank, and the connection appears to be stalled. But if I cancel the connection (command-period), the window displays most or all of the data. A possibly related issue: I start to load a web page (clicking a link) or a news article (double-clicking a header) and nothing happens for several seconds or several minutes. I cancel the connection and try the same thing again. This time it transfers immediately. I have seen this on several Macs running ...

  1. #1

    Default Net transfers stall, but appear when cancelled

    Very often I find myself waiting for a web page to display, or for a
    usenet news article to display. The window is blank, and the connection
    appears to be stalled. But if I cancel the connection (command-period),
    the window displays most or all of the data.

    A possibly related issue: I start to load a web page (clicking a link)
    or a news article (double-clicking a header) and nothing happens for
    several seconds or several minutes. I cancel the connection and try the
    same thing again. This time it transfers immediately.

    I have seen this on several Macs running various OS versions and
    clients, on dialup and broadband connections. Currently I am running
    Mac OS X 10.2.6, Internet Explorer 5.2.2, Safari 1.0, MT-Newswatcher
    3.3b1.

    Can someone explain what is happening here? Is this an indication of
    something broken or misconfigured in the client computer? Something
    flaky in the upstream stuff? Overloaded servers? Or just normal
    fluctuations in net congestion?

    If the problem is upstream, why do I often see a full window of data
    when I force a cancellation of the connection? Was my client stalled
    waiting for some sort of acknowledgment that the connection terminated
    normally?

    --
    Julian Vrieslander
    Julian Vrieslander Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Net transfers stall, but appear when cancelled

    In article
    <julianvREMOVE_THIS_PART-1F4488.23373115092003news01.west.earthlink.net
    Julian Vrieslander <julianvREMOVE_THIS_PARTmindspring.com> wrote:
    > If the problem is upstream, why do I often see a full window of data
    > when I force a cancellation of the connection? Was my client stalled
    > waiting for some sort of acknowledgment that the connection terminated
    > normally?
    Generally it's because it hasn't been able to download every element of
    a page, and hence the final layout isn't known. When you cancel it, it
    does a layout of the things it did receive. If you reload, it's often
    only got one or two things left to receive, so it uses the local cache
    for the rest and it's quicker.

    Also the connections for the individual items may be active separately,
    and one or more of them needs to be reset, holding up the whole bunch.
    This is especially applicable if some items come from other servers,
    e.g. an ad.

    Cheers,

    Matthew.
    Matthew Kirkcaldie Guest

  3. #3

    In article
    <Matthew.Kirkcaldie-F9F392.17083316092003seagoon.newcastle.edu.au>,
    Matthew Kirkcaldie <Matthew.Kirkcaldienewcastle.edu.au> wrote:
    > In article
    > <julianvREMOVE_THIS_PART-1F4488.23373115092003news01.west.earthlink.net
    > >,
    > Julian Vrieslander <julianvREMOVE_THIS_PARTmindspring.com> wrote:
    >
    > > If the problem is upstream, why do I often see a full window of data
    > > when I force a cancellation of the connection? Was my client stalled
    > > waiting for some sort of acknowledgment that the connection terminated
    > > normally?
    >
    > Generally it's because it hasn't been able to download every element of
    > a page, and hence the final layout isn't known. When you cancel it, it
    > does a layout of the things it did receive. If you reload, it's often
    > only got one or two things left to receive, so it uses the local cache
    > for the rest and it's quicker.
    >
    > Also the connections for the individual items may be active separately,
    > and one or more of them needs to be reset, holding up the whole bunch.
    > This is especially applicable if some items come from other servers,
    > e.g. an ad.
    The scenario you describe occurs in some of the cases I am describing.
    But I also see a fair number where the connection is stalled at the
    beginning, even if there is only one item coming from one server (like a
    long page of text, or a single large graphic). I start the transfer,
    and a throughput display (e.g., Net Monitor) shows the outgoing request,
    but no incoming data. I cancel the connection, try again, and the
    transfer starts and comes over quickly.

    I guess there are probably several different causes for these stalls.

    --
    Julian Vrieslander
    Julian Vrieslander Guest

  4. #4

    In article
    <julianvREMOVE_THIS_PART-C08A38.01101416092003news01.west.earthl
    wrote:
    > The scenario you describe occurs in some of the cases I am describing.
    > But I also see a fair number where the connection is stalled at the
    > beginning, even if there is only one item coming from one server (like a
    > long page of text, or a single large graphic). I start the transfer,
    > and a throughput display (e.g., Net Monitor) shows the outgoing request,
    > but no incoming data. I cancel the connection, try again, and the
    > transfer starts and comes over quickly.
    >
    > I guess there are probably several different causes for these stalls.
    Yes. In the scenario you describe above, your connection attempt
    to the web server may never have been successful in the first
    place because of--who knows? some network problem. there are lots
    of reasons why your http request would not receive a response. a
    busy server, a broken fiber connection; the causes can be major
    or minor, local or remote.

    I assume that after a certain amount of time your connection will
    time out. In any case, when you click again, you successfully
    make the connection that time, and--ouila.

    If it were my computer we're talking about, it would most likely
    be an intermittant ISP problem. But it could be lots of stuff.
    sam grey Guest