Professional Web Applications Themes

netapps server is not responding - Linux / Unix Administration

In my /var/adm/messages, it contains the following error. clinet_hostname statd[203]: [ID 859811 daemon.warning] statd: host old_netapps_server_hostname is not responding I used old_netapps_server_hosntame before, but I have changed the netapps server and with new hostname. why is the mouning still trying to pull the old_netapps_server_hostname. I have cleaned up /var/yp/aliases on client system and I use the new domain name at /var/yp/binding/new_domain_name Please shed a light. Thanks in advance...

  1. #1

    Default netapps server is not responding

    In my /var/adm/messages, it contains the following error.

    clinet_hostname statd[203]: [ID 859811 daemon.warning] statd: host
    old_netapps_server_hostname is not responding

    I used old_netapps_server_hosntame before, but I have changed the
    netapps server and
    with new hostname. why is the mouning still trying to pull the
    old_netapps_server_hostname.

    I have cleaned up /var/yp/aliases on client system and I use the new
    domain name
    at /var/yp/binding/new_domain_name

    Please shed a light.

    Thanks in advance

    blackdog Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: netapps server is not responding

    On 8 Nov 2005 04:52:29 -0800, blackdog <com> wrote:

    On, presumably, some system other than the netapp? Does it mount it, or
    what's the relationship?

    Does old_netapps_server_hostname resolve?

    That sentence may be key to identifying the problem and is unclearly
    worded. Can you try again?

    What's the fstab, vfstab, or whatever, look like? What OS are you on?

    Hang on, you're getting off in the weeds. Can you resolve the hostname?
    Can you ping it? Let's not worry about YP until you can actually see
    the netapp. I suspect name resolution problems and nothing more at this
    point.

    Dave Guest

  3. #3

    Dave Hinz wrote:

    > On, presumably, some system other than the netapp? Does it mount it, or
    > what's the relationship?[/ref]

    I have NIS server, mount the file form NetApps. NetApps is my filer.

    > Does old_netapps_server_hostname resolve?[/ref]

    We have moved the old_netapps_server to other area, I should not use
    the old_netapps_server.
    since I have the new server with the new hostname.
    Right now, the client is trying to talk to old_netapps_server.
    Obviously, client cannot
    get respond.

    > That sentence may be key to identifying the problem and is unclearly
    > worded. Can you try again?

    > What's the fstab, vfstab, or whatever, look like? What OS are you on?

    > Hang on, you're getting off in the weeds. Can you resolve the hostname?
    > Can you ping it? Let's not worry about YP until you can actually see
    > the netapp. I suspect name resolution problems and nothing more at this
    > point.[/ref]

    blackdog Guest

  4. #4

    Dave Hinz wrote:

    > On, presumably, some system other than the netapp? Does it mount it, or
    > what's the relationship?

    > Does old_netapps_server_hostname resolve?

    > That sentence may be key to identifying the problem and is unclearly
    > worded. Can you try again?

    > What's the fstab, vfstab, or whatever, look like? What OS are you on?[/ref]

    I use Solaris 2.8 for client, the vfstab as below:

    fd - /dev/fd fd - no -
    /proc - /proc proc - no -
    /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1 - - swap - no -
    /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 / ufs 1
    no
    -
    /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s5 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s5 /usr ufs 1
    no
    -
    /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s7 /var ufs 1
    no
    -
    /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s4 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s4 /apps1 ufs 2
    yes
    -
    /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s3 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s3 /apps2 ufs 2
    yes
    -
    /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s6 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s6 /tmp ufs 2
    yes

    > Hang on, you're getting off in the weeds. Can you resolve the hostname?
    > Can you ping it? Let's not worry about YP until you can actually see
    > the netapp. I suspect name resolution problems and nothing more at this
    > point.[/ref]

    blackdog Guest

  5. #5

    On 8 Nov 2005 08:06:13 -0800, blackdog <com> wrote:

    >> On, presumably, some system other than the netapp? Does it mount it, or
    >> what's the relationship?[/ref]
    >
    > I have NIS server, mount the file form NetApps. NetApps is my filer.[/ref]

    So you have a unix system of some sort, which uses nfs to mount a share
    exported by the filer.

    >> Does old_netapps_server_hostname resolve?[/ref]
    >
    > We have moved the old_netapps_server to other area, I should not use
    > the old_netapps_server.[/ref]

    There is your problem.

    You need to change your vfstab to point to:
    newserver:/share
    instead of
    oldserver:/share
     [/ref]

    Dave Guest

  6. #6

    On 8 Nov 2005 08:09:43 -0800, blackdog <com> wrote: [/ref]

    (snip vfstab)

    There is nothing talking about your filer in that vfstab. Perhaps you
    are mounting it by automount? What do /etc/auto?master and
    /etc/auto?home look like, for instance?

    Until you know what mechanism is supposed to be mounting that device,
    you don't know where to fix the problem.
    Dave Guest

  7. #7

    Dave Hinz wrote: [/ref]

    > (snip vfstab)
    >
    > There is nothing talking about your filer in that vfstab. Perhaps you
    > are mounting it by automount? What do /etc/auto?master and
    > /etc/auto?home look like, for instance?
    >
    > Until you know what mechanism is supposed to be mounting that device,
    > you don't know where to fix the problem.[/ref]

    Yes, I use automount.
    the auto_home contains:
    +auto_home

    and auto_master contains:
    +auto_master
    /net -hosts -nosuid,nobrowse
    /home auto_home -nobrowse
    /xfn -xfn

    blackdog Guest

  8. #8

    On 8 Nov 2005 08:53:04 -0800, blackdog <com> wrote:
     [/ref]
     [/ref]

    And what's in the auto_home map? The question we're painfully getting
    towards, slowly, maybe, is, where is the old netapp's hostname coming
    from. Find that, fix that. All will be better.

    Can you mount it manually? That'll verify that you're on the right
    track.

    Likewise, what does the auto_master map look like?
    Dave Guest

  9. #9

    Dave Hinz wrote:
    > [/ref]
    > [/ref]

    > And what's in the auto_home map? The question we're painfully getting
    > towards, slowly, maybe, is, where is the old netapp's hostname coming
    > from. Find that, fix that. All will be better.
    >
    > Can you mount it manually? That'll verify that you're on the right
    > track.

    > Likewise, what does the auto_master map look like?[/ref]

    I can mount from new filer system. But, every time I reboot the client,
    the log /var/adm/messages comes up an error as below on client:

    Oct 10 22:40:38 client_system statd[203]: [ID 859811 daemon.warning]
    statd: host old_netapps_server is not responding

    auto_master file contains as below:
    +auto_master
    /net -hosts -nosuid,nobrowse
    /home auto_home -nobrowse
    /xfn -xfn

    and the auto_home file contains as below:
    +auto_home

    blackdog Guest

  10. #10

    On 8 Nov 2005 09:16:59 -0800, blackdog <com> wrote:
     [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref]

    You need to look at the automount maps on your YP master.
     [/ref]

    That's the map.

    That's also a map.
    Dave Guest

  11. #11

    "blackdog" <com> writes:

    Check /var/statmon/sm and sm.bak for a file of the name old_netapps_server.

    Run
    /etc/init.d/nfs.client stop

    remove the file
    and run
    /etc/init.d/nfs.client start

    Casper
    Casper Guest

  12. #12

    Casper H.S. Dik wrote:

    > Check /var/statmon/sm and sm.bak for a file of the name old_netapps_server.[/ref]

    My /var/statmon/sm contains the new netapps_server_hostname, but the
    sm.bak
    contains the previous (old) netapps_server_hostname.
    Do you think this is the impact when I reboot my client system, the
    client is trying to
    pull the old_netapps_srever, and it turns out "is not responding"

    I thought the old_netapps_server_name is in sm.bak which should be an
    impact,
    any idea.

    blackdog Guest

  13. #13

    "blackdog" <com> writes:

    Yes.

    What happens is that statd uses the filenames as reminders that there's
    outstanding business on the server in question (locks, whatnot)

    Casper
    Casper Guest

  14. #14

    Thank you very much. And I am sorry I need to ask one more quesiton.
    Since my client system is trying to mount from old_netapps_server but
    "no responding"
    will it impact old_netapps_server's clinet system get lockup?

    Casper H. S. Dik wrote:

    > Yes.

    > What happens is that statd uses the filenames as reminders that there's
    > outstanding business on the server in question (locks, whatnot)
    >
    > Casper[/ref]

    blackdog Guest

  15. #15

    "blackdog" <com> writes:

    It's not mounting, just trying to contact it. It should not cause
    any lockups.

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.
    Casper Guest

  16. #16

    all of old_netapps_server's client system got lock up very often. That
    is the reason,
    I am looking into the problem.

    Thanks.
    Casper H.S. Dik wrote:

    > It's not mounting, just trying to contact it. It should not cause
    > any lockups.
    >
    > Casper
    > --
    > Expressed in this posting are my opinions. They are in no way related
    > to opinions held by my employer, Sun Microsystems.
    > Statements on Sun products included here are not gospel and may
    > be fiction rather than truth.[/ref]

    blackdog Guest