Professional Web Applications Themes

Netgear PS101 and OSR5.0.7 - SCO

Hello all, Anyone have any magic to print to a netgear PS101 print server connected to an HP LaserJet 5L, through OSR5.0.7? I can get it to print blank pages but nothing sane. No problem with Linux LPD in ASCII mode or with other OSes on the same network. My printcap entry looks like: mis1:\ :lp=:rm=psmis:rp=mis1:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/mis1:mx#0: I added the printer through scoadmin printer. Cheers for any pointers. Skot....

  1. #1

    Default Netgear PS101 and OSR5.0.7

    Hello all,

    Anyone have any magic to print to a netgear PS101 print server connected
    to an HP LaserJet 5L, through OSR5.0.7? I can get it to print blank
    pages but nothing sane. No problem with Linux LPD in ASCII mode or with
    other OSes on the same network.

    My printcap entry looks like:
    mis1:\
    :lp=:rm=psmis:rp=mis1:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/mis1:mx#0:

    I added the printer through scoadmin printer.

    Cheers for any pointers.

    Skot.

    Skot Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Netgear PS101 and OSR5.0.7

    Skot <com> wrote in message news:<6nGeb.301$qq2.91edtnps84>...

    I have had this problem and very quickly fixed it. The problem is
    that the printer is only receiving a line feed without a carriage
    return. This means that print will stagger, and you'll at best get
    the first line and nothing else on the page.

    The solution is to set cr/lf on the PS101. To do this, browse to the
    printer in a web browser, click the logical ports link on the left of
    the window and at the bottom of the configuration for logical port L1,
    set the CR/LF option. Don't forget to save the settings on this page
    before moving to another page.

    Simon Ferré
    Simon Guest

  3. #3

    co.uk (Simon Ferre) wrote in message news:<google.com>...

    > I have had this problem and very quickly fixed it. The problem is
    > that the printer is only receiving a line feed without a carriage
    > return. This means that print will stagger, and you'll at best get
    > the first line and nothing else on the page.
    >
    > The solution is to set cr/lf on the PS101. To do this, browse to the
    > printer in a web browser, click the logical ports link on the left of
    > the window and at the bottom of the configuration for logical port L1,
    > set the CR/LF option. Don't forget to save the settings on this page
    > before moving to another page.
    >
    > Simon Ferré[/ref]

    I hope this print server see very light use, and I hope you are using
    lpd or smb and not the otherwise preferable netcat.

    this model has a firmware problem where it locks up a lot and drop
    jobs and prints half jobs and takes a long time to start printing a
    job etc etc etc
    if the firmware is the most current.

    I have one at home, that I had on a 5.0.7 site. I had to take it out.
    I tried every possible way of porinting to it and nothing was
    reliable. netcat, lpd, facetwin (smb). It was even the same printer a
    5L.

    it would go for half a day and need to be power-cycled.

    I swapped in a hp or intel in the same place, same cables, same
    network switch, same everything, and it's been perfect ever since (6
    months)

    the ps101 is doing fine at my house, on another 5L, but at home I
    print about 10 sheets a month, using just windows at the moment since
    my freebsd box has a mild case hard drive death. (it's just a little
    dead :)

    You have been warned.
    Ultra cheap hardware usually costs a lot more than the expensive good
    stuff that works the first time and keeps working until you take it
    out. Unless your time is utterly worthless and you can keep going back
    to the client and spending hours trying to get a piece of crap to work
    like it wasn't a piece of crap. Even if your time were worthless,
    surely the clients isn't?

    get an hp or an intel.
    Brian Guest

  4. #4

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 20:00:02 GMT, Skot <com> wrote:

    1. It's not printing a blank page. It's printing the first few lines
    of your test page, which happen to be blank, and then "stair-case" the
    following lines until it runs off the right side of the page.

    I have a religious issue about using the print server (or printer
    driver) to do ANY kind of post processing or formatting. The program
    should belch exactly what the printer is suppose to injest. However,
    reality is never quite the way I prefer, so accomidations must be
    made. Try:
    cat your_test_file | /usr/lib/lponlcr | lp -d mis1

    2. I'm on my third Netgear PS101 (under warranty). The first died in
    a failed attempt to upgrade the firmware. The 2nd was dead on arrival
    and obviously the results of a failed attempt at repair. The current
    incantation is running just fine on an HP 4si and a Windoze network.
    However, it's managed to lock up erratically requiring a power cycle.
    Methinks it's AC power related as the lockups seem to coincide with
    when the UPS complains about the power and goes into backup mode. No
    action on the "Printer Alert" light. Caveat Emptor.

    3. I haven't found a way to print directly to an IP socket for n
    using netcat instead of LPR/LPD. However, I didn't spend much time
    with the problem and have not done the requisite RTFM. If I find the
    magic port number, I'll post something.

    --
    Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
    (831)421-6491 pgr (831)336-2558 home

  5. #5

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 11:13:27 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
    <santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

    The "tech" manual (in MS Word format) says that port 4010 will work
    with the PS101, same as the other PS100 series print servers.
    However, Netgear recommends that Unix users should use LPD instead of
    printing directly to an IP socket
    http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N101141.asp
    because of the alleged lack of flow control. I disagree, but Netgear
    support may have a point if they ed up the IP side of the flow
    control when the PS101 buffer fills. I'll play with it later and see
    what I can break. (Yet another project).

    Not very complimentary review of the PS101.
    http://att.dealtime.com/xPR-Netgear_PS101_PS101NA~RD-109859475076

    Article on buggy Netgear PS110 firmware.

    http://www.google.com/groups?selm=com

    # santa-cruz.ca.us
    # 831.421.6491 digital_pager com AE6KS
    Jeff Guest