Professional Web Applications Themes

Netscape and Mozilla not recognizing tags - Macromedia Dynamic HTML

Hi, i am doing an image map and mapped out the coordinates using fancy tooltips and links and it works great in MSIE but the tooltips don't show in Netscape 8.0 or Mozilla 1.0.6. Dreamweaver is telling me "the title attribute of the AREA tag is not supported in Netscape 4 & 6". Does anyone know what the substitution is so it will work on all of the browsers?? Thanks in advance! Holly...

  1. #1

    Default Netscape and Mozilla not recognizing tags

    Hi, i am doing an image map and mapped out the coordinates using fancy tooltips
    and links and it works great in MSIE but the tooltips don't show in Netscape
    8.0 or Mozilla 1.0.6. Dreamweaver is telling me "the title attribute of the
    AREA tag is not supported in Netscape 4 & 6". Does anyone know what the
    substitution is so it will work on all of the browsers?? Thanks in advance!

    Holly

    maximom229 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Netscape and Mozilla not recognizing tags

    You are getting the correct information - it's not supported in those
    browsers, which together probably account for 0.5% of your site visitors or
    less. You can ignore it, if you are not interested in supporting those
    browsers.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

    "maximom229" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, i am doing an image map and mapped out the coordinates using fancy
    > tooltips
    > and links and it works great in MSIE but the tooltips don't show in
    > Netscape
    > 8.0 or Mozilla 1.0.6. Dreamweaver is telling me "the title attribute of
    > the
    > AREA tag is not supported in Netscape 4 & 6". Does anyone know what the
    > substitution is so it will work on all of the browsers?? Thanks in
    > advance!
    >
    > Holly

    Murray *ACE* Guest

  3. #3

    Hi, two things. yes, i do want to fix the code to support all the browers that
    I can, so i still need the fix.

    Actually, between AOL, netscape, mozilla, opera and the many others, MSIE
    share is only 85% in the US and the others are more common in Europe. I don't
    want to lose 15% of the population so if you can point me to the conversion,
    i'd appreciate it. :)

    Thanks again.
    Holly

    maximom229 Guest

  4. #4

    All you are really worried about here is NN4x and NN6. As I said, I doubt
    that there is more than .5% of your visitors using these browsers.
    Certainly nothing like 15%.

    Sometimes you have to make the tough decisions. There is no way to MAKE
    these browsers support the title attribute on <area> tags, and any
    workaround would be far more work that this tiny segment would justify.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

    > Hi, two things. yes, i do want to fix the code to support all the browers
    > that
    > I can, so i still need the fix.
    >
    > Actually, between AOL, netscape, mozilla, opera and the many others, MSIE
    > share is only 85% in the US and the others are more common in Europe. I
    > don't
    > want to lose 15% of the population so if you can point me to the
    > conversion,
    > i'd appreciate it. :)
    >
    > Thanks again.
    > Holly

    Murray *ACE* Guest

  5. #5

    Hi, no, it doesn't work in either Mozilla or Netscape - the new versions either
    - not just 4 and 6 of NN. that's alot of people. Is there a work around? a
    second script that detects browsers and loads a different script perhaps?

    maximom229 Guest

  6. #6

    The workaround would be not to rely on the title attribute, but to use an
    entirely different method, something like what you find when you Google for
    "overlib", although that's adding quite a bit of code overhead to the page.

    Alternatively, you could not use hotspots for this, and replace them with
    individual images - in this case the title attribute would work fine.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

  7. #7

    Hi, i found the overlib script but it too uses the area tag so it's no
    different. I emailed the overlib list right after your response but they never
    answered. the option of swapping images won't work here so i need another
    attribute that is supported by at least MSIE, Mozilla and NN. will <object>
    work here???

    maximom229 Guest

  8. #8

    > Hi, i found the overlib script but it too uses the area tag

    Then you are not understanding what it does. Of course it uses the area
    tag - that's where you are applying it. But instead of relying on the title
    attribute of the <area> tag, which is not working for you, overlib triggers
    a javascript behavior, which WILL work for you.
    > I emailed the overlib list right after your response but they never
    > answered.
    Don't expect one....

    Try overlib. It should work fine.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

    > Hi, i found the overlib script but it too uses the area tag so it's no
    > different. I emailed the overlib list right after your response but they
    > never
    > answered. the option of swapping images won't work here so i need another
    > attribute that is supported by at least MSIE, Mozilla and NN. will
    > <object>
    > work here???

    Murray *ACE* Guest

  9. #9

    [q]Originally posted by: maximom229
    Hi, i am doing an image map and mapped out the coordinates using fancy
    tooltips and links and it works great in MSIE but the tooltips don't show in
    Netscape 8.0 or Mozilla 1.0.6. Dreamweaver is telling me "the title attribute
    of the AREA tag is not supported in Netscape 4 & 6". Does anyone know what the
    substitution is so it will work on all of the browsers?? Thanks in advance!

    Holly[/q]
    Maybe you should use alt attribute instead of title?

    ValPolyakh Guest

  10. #10

    Will not work....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

  11. #11

    thanks. i did get some help from the Overlib list and it worked great.
    maximom229 Guest

  12. #12

    Yep. I thought it would be the best option.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert