Professional Web Applications Themes

Netscape and templets - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Does netscape not let people view pages that have the .dwt file extension?...

  1. #1

    Default Netscape and templets

    Does netscape not let people view pages that have the .dwt file extension?

    matt27 webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Netscape and templets

    "matt27" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    > Does netscape not let people view pages that have the .dwt file extension?
    Hi

    What exactly are you doing with your templates?

    --
    Cheers jojo
    Team Macromedia Member Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX

    jojo Guest

  3. #3

    NONONONONONONO!

    Those files with the dwt extension are template files and should never be
    uploaded to the site.

    Please say more about what you are doing and why!

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "matt27" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Some of my pages just have the .dwt extension on them. Should I change
    them to htm extensions? Also in netscape my marque is slightly out of
    postion, any way to fix that with out messing it up in ie. Thanks very much
    for your help.

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  4. #4

    What about pages with .asp? Are those ok to upload?

    matt27 webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  5. #5

    "matt27" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    > What about pages with .asp? Are those ok to upload?
    Yes, the .asp files should be fine.

    Your template files .dwt are simply that, templates.

    You create a template and then you create pages from the templates, they
    are simply a pattern for your site and perform no other function than that.

    Templates should always be stored in the root of your site within a
    folder called Templates, this folder should hold only templates and
    nothing else.

  6. #6

    Matt:

    Template files are design time tools, and only that. They are only meant
    (as JoJo explained) to be used *locally* as a way of creating pages that
    have identical layout and navigation. You would create child pages from
    your template pages by using FILE | New From Template (in DW4), or FILE |
    New > Templates > Site > Template File > create new page (in DMX). They
    should not be uploaded, and they should definitely not be resaved with a
    different extension. To read about them, check the F1 Help in DW.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

  7. #7

    You know, I was moving some sites back and forth between a pc and a mac
    recently and noticed when I tried saving newly created pages from
    templates, DW was wanting to save them as .dwt files.

    After a bit of frustration I discovered that during the moving, my
    template files had been renamed to all caps. After renaming the files to
    all lowercase, I was able to save the files as html files.

    I don't know if that is any kind of known issue but it's something I
    came across.

    David

    "matt27" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    > Some of my pages just have the .dwt extension on them. Should I change them to htm extensions? Also in netscape my marque is slightly out of postion, any way to fix that with out messing it up in ie. Thanks very much for your help.

    David Anderson Guest

  8. #8

    David:

    OK - this sometimes happens when you copy your files to a CD or a ZIP disk.
    Your best bet for moving files like this is to zip them before copying to
    either of those media.

    I want to make sure I am understanding what you are saying. You moved an
    ordinary HTML file from the Mac to the PC and when you tried to save it on
    the PC, DW wanted to save it as a template file? This must be because the
    file contained TEMPLATE markup. Had you merely renamed the dwt file with an
    HTML extension? That is big trouble if you did.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

  9. #9

    HI Murray,

    I did some site copy/backup transfers with an external, shared drive
    that we use between XP and OSX. The way the drive is formatted I
    normally don't have the caps problem but I did check the files to verify
    none were caps as I'm familiar with that happening. What I didn't
    consider was that some of template files would get converted so I never
    looked at those.

    Current HTML files I tried to save still saved to html but when I creatd
    any New>New From Template files and then tried to save, they saved to
    ..dwt extensions.

    I could open an existing html page and Save As... and save it as a new
    html file. That's actually what I did for a couple files until I noticed
    some of the template files were caps. I renamed them, recreated the site
    and everything's been fine.

    In the future, I won't shortcut the process by not zipping. I thought
    that could have been a similar issue with the person who intially posted.

    Thanks!

    David

  10. #10

    David:

    I gotcha. While I still don't understand exactly what happened, and cannot
    for the life of me imagine how having an uppercase name would trigger the
    save as template thing, if you are satisfied with the result then that's
    great!

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

  11. #11

    The original template name was created in lowercase and all html pages
    related to the template in the site were lowercase.

    I should add that if I created a new template from scratch and saved it
    in all caps, that worked fine. I think the problem was with the name
    being changed to caps outside of Dreamweaver and then not making the
    adjustment.

    I deduced it was a caps issue after deleting site preferences and
    rebooting. But, after your last post I went into an old site, changed a
    template's name in my Finder to all caps and opened DW and of course,
    couldn't te the problem.

    I'll check the nut behind the keyboard next time.

    David

    Murray *TMM* wrote:
    > David:
    >
    > I gotcha. While I still don't understand exactly what happened, and cannot
    > for the life of me imagine how having an uppercase name would trigger the
    > save as template thing, if you are satisfied with the result then that's
    > great!

    David Anderson Guest

  12. #12

    David:

    I'm confident that your last suspicion is likely behind it all.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > The original template name was created in lowercase and all html pages
    > related to the template in the site were lowercase.
    >
    > I should add that if I created a new template from scratch and saved it
    > in all caps, that worked fine. I think the problem was with the name
    > being changed to caps outside of Dreamweaver and then not making the
    > adjustment.
    >
    > I deduced it was a caps issue after deleting site preferences and
    > rebooting. But, after your last post I went into an old site, changed a
    > template's name in my Finder to all caps and opened DW and of course,
    > couldn't te the problem.
    >
    > I'll check the nut behind the keyboard next time.
    >
    > David
    >

    > Murray *TMM* wrote:
    > > David:
    > >
    > > I gotcha. While I still don't understand exactly what happened, and
    cannot
    > > for the life of me imagine how having an uppercase name would trigger
    the
    > > save as template thing, if you are satisfied with the result then that's
    > > great!

    Murray *TMM* Guest