Professional Web Applications Themes

Netscape will cease development for new browsers. - Macromedia Dreamweaver

From Eric Meyer's [url]http://www.meyerweb.com/[/url] is the following announcement:It's true: Netscape is no longer a viable entity. I'll leave it to others to draw conclusions regarding how this move is related to the agreement AOL and Microsoft reached a while back. Y'all can probably do a much better job of it anyway. From what I can discern, there will be no more new versions of Netscape; the browser will go into maintenance mode, whatever that means. More than half the staff was let go today, and Mozilla has been spun off into an independent, non-profit foundation supported by AOL, IBM, Sun, ...

  1. #1

    Default Netscape will cease development for new browsers.

    From Eric Meyer's [url]http://www.meyerweb.com/[/url] is the following announcement:It's true: Netscape is no longer a viable entity. I'll leave it to others to draw conclusions regarding how this move is related to the agreement AOL and Microsoft reached a while back. Y'all can probably do a much better job of it anyway.

    From what I can discern, there will be no more new versions of Netscape; the browser will go into maintenance mode, whatever that means. More than half the staff was let go today, and Mozilla has been spun off into an independent, non-profit foundation supported by AOL, IBM, Sun, and others. I have no idea what will happen with netscape.com itself. DevEdge will cease producing new content, it would seem, which is a shame. We produced some really good stuff, and had more in the pipeline. Hopefully that forthcoming material will find another outlet.

    For now, I still have a job, although my team's been split up and sent to different organizations within AOL. I don't know yet how this will turn out for me, but I do know that today I'm saddened by the loss. Yes, Mozilla will go on, but another pioneering force of the Web has just been painfully dimmed. It's worth a moment to reflect on where we've been... and where we might be headed.

    Looks like the so-called 'browser wars' are really over indeed.

    Yachats_Guy webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    "Yachats_Guy" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    > From Eric Meyer's [url]http://www.meyerweb.com/[/url] is the following announcement:It's true: Netscape is no longer a viable entity. I'll leave it to others to draw conclusions regarding how this move is related to the agreement AOL and Microsoft reached a while back. Y'all can probably do a much better job of it anyway.
    >
    > From what I can discern, there will be no more new versions of Netscape; the browser will go into maintenance mode, whatever that means. More than half the staff was let go today, and Mozilla has been spun off into an independent, non-profit foundation supported by AOL, IBM, Sun, and others. I have no idea what will happen with netscape.com itself. DevEdge will cease producing new content, it would seem, which is a shame. We produced some really good stuff, and had more in the pipeline. Hopefully that forthcoming material will find another outlet.
    >
    > For now, I still have a job, although my team's been split up and sent to different organizations within AOL. I don't know yet how this will turn out for me, but I do know that today I'm saddened by the loss. Yes, Mozilla will go on, but another pioneering force of the Web has just been painfully dimmed. It's worth a moment to reflect on where we've been... and where we might be headed.
    >
    > Looks like the so-called 'browser wars' are really over indeed.
    Who cares about the Netscape *brand*.

    A good read is this article:
    <http://siliconvalley.internet.com/news/article.php/2235701>

    Firebird and Thunderbird are the new applications (based on Gecko).
    Everything is moving towards individual apps instead of a one big
    monolith one like Mozilla. Even Composer is an independent app, that
    might one day be a very good free html visual editor.

    So in short, we will still be developing for Gecko for the foreseeable
    future.

    Dagwood Bumstead Guest

  3. #3

    In article <bf4161$qvs$1forums.macromedia.com>,
    Dagwood Bumstead <dagwoodsmalltown-usa.org> wrote:
    > Who cares about the Netscape *brand*.
    The 50 people who were let go, maybe?

    --
    Eric A. Meyer
    [url]http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/[/url]

  4. #4

    Eric A. Meyer wrote:
    > In article <bf4161$qvs$1forums.macromedia.com>,
    > Dagwood Bumstead <dagwoodsmalltown-usa.org> wrote:
    >

    >>Who cares about the Netscape *brand*.
    >

    > The 50 people who were let go, maybe?
    Yes of course - I didn't mean to trivalize that aspect. I've been there
    and it's not pleasant, especially with the personal relationships one
    develops.

    Hixie moved to Scandanavia and seems to be happy working for Opera, and
    apparently some others were hired by the Mozilla Foundation.

    Dagwood Bumstead Guest