Professional Web Applications Themes

Netster? (Unwanted Intrusion) - Mac Networking

Tonight I entered "rottontomatoes.com" as a URL address in Safari and instead of arriving at RottonTomatoes, a site I have frequently visited I ended up in Netster which appears to be yet another "home page search site" kind of place. I retried several times and the same thing happend. I strongly resent the intrusion of Netster, a site I have no interest in visiting, and a site that interfered with and intruded upon my intentions. Has this happened to others, and if so, does it occur only as a response to certain URLs? -- James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft...

  1. #1

    Default Netster? (Unwanted Intrusion)

    Tonight I entered "rottontomatoes.com" as a URL address in Safari and instead
    of arriving at RottonTomatoes, a site I have frequently visited I ended up in
    Netster which appears to be yet another "home page search site" kind of
    place.
    I retried several times and the same thing happend.

    I strongly resent the intrusion of Netster, a site I have no interest in
    visiting, and a site that interfered with and intruded upon my intentions.

    Has this happened to others, and if so, does it occur only as a response to
    certain URLs?

    -- James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft

    James Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Netster? (Unwanted Intrusion)

    In article <prodigy.net>,
    James L. Ryan <com> wrote:

    ---

    The problem is likely that the domain is defunct or went into arrears.
    The registrar then imposed that screen as a filler.
    D. Guest

  3. #3

    In article <prodigy.net>,
    James L. Ryan <com> wrote:

    Well, you might want to try spelling it correctly. It's *rotten*. And
    it works very well indeed.

    --
    Hank Shiffman http://www.disordered.org
    Have Opinion, Will Travel org

  4. #4

    In article <verizon.net>,
    "D. Kirkpatrick" <com> wrote:

    Or you can't spell either. :)

    It's www.rottentomatoes.com and it works just fine.
    Reginald Guest

  5. #5

    On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 00:51:00 -0500, Reginald Dwight wrote
    (in article <verizon.net>):

    Ouch!!!!

    I can't believe I didn't catch my own spelling error! What I think happened
    is that once I entered the incorrect "rottontomatoes" instead of the correct
    "rottentomatoes" I failed to notice that Safari was filling out the remainder
    of the address incorrectly.

    That aside, had I received word that I had entered an invalid URL I would
    have likely immediately caught the error. I still strongly resent Netster's
    taking advantage of my error in the manner they did.

    -- James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft

    James Guest

  6. #6

    Default Re: rottentomatoes.com

    After all this discussion, I'm going to have to find out what this
    website is! Hope it's neat!
    -- Josh
    Joshua Guest

  7. #7

    On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 15:51:06 GMT,
    James L Ryan (com) wrote:

    > Ouch!!!!
    >
    > I can't believe I didn't catch my own spelling error! What I think happened
    > is that once I entered the incorrect "rottontomatoes" instead of the correct
    > "rottentomatoes" I failed to notice that Safari was filling out the remainder
    > of the address incorrectly.[/ref]

    Safari just converts rottontomatoes to rottontomatoes.com (or
    www.rottontomatoes.com) which resolves to the IP address 66.223.50.92

    Netster owns that domain (rottontomatoes.com), and redirects requests
    received at 66.223.50.92 to laurel.netster.com - that's one way they get
    people to use their search engine.

    Redirecting misspelt domain names is quite a common practise. I'm
    surprised you haven't encountered it previously.

    Beverly
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    England go three up at Bridgetown!

  8. #8

    In article <prodigy.net>,
    James L. Ryan <com> wrote:

    ---

    Ok, for pennance you have to use a Windows 3.1 system for 1 week.
    D. Guest

  9. #9

    In article <60eec.27444$nyroc.rr.com>,
    Joshua Steinberg <rr.com> wrote:

    Film and video rental stuff and reviews.
    D. Guest

  10. #10

    In article <net>,
    "Bev A. Kupf" <net> wrote:

    > > Ouch!!!!
    > >
    > > I can't believe I didn't catch my own spelling error! What I think happened
    > > is that once I entered the incorrect "rottontomatoes" instead of the
    > > correct
    > > "rottentomatoes" I failed to notice that Safari was filling out the
    > > remainder
    > > of the address incorrectly.[/ref]
    >
    > Safari just converts rottontomatoes to rottontomatoes.com (or
    > www.rottontomatoes.com) which resolves to the IP address 66.223.50.92[/ref]

    I think he's talking about the auto-complete feature, where he just
    types "rott" and it fills in the rest. Once the misspelling got into
    its cache, he kept going to the misspelt name.

    --
    Barry Margolin, mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  11. #11

    On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 15:53:58 -0500, Barry Margolin wrote
    (in article <ash.giganews.com>):

    [commenting on my "rottontomatoes" fiasco, detailed earlier in this thread]

    I just now checked and Safari suggests the completion "rottontomatoes.com/"
    after I've typed "r". What's interesting (amusing?) is that Safari continues
    to fill in this way after I've correctly entered a "rottentomatoes".

    -- James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft

    James Guest

  12. #12

    On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 22:35:42 GMT,
    James L Ryan (com) wrote:

    > I just now checked and Safari suggests the completion "rottontomatoes.com/"
    > after I've typed "r". What's interesting (amusing?) is that Safari continues
    > to fill in this way after I've correctly entered a "rottentomatoes".[/ref]

    I think that clearing Safari's history (under the history menu) should
    fix this behaviour.

    Beverly

  13. #13

    On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 15:17:35 -0500, D. Kirkpatrick wrote
    (in article <verizon.net>):

    [suggesting a suitable penalty for my having grumped about being sent to the
    Netster website in response to my having mispelled "rotten"]

    Considering the severity of my crime I'm most grateful for the leniency of
    the court!

    -- James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft

    James Guest

  14. #14

    In article <prodigy.net>,
    James L. Ryan <com> wrote:

    > Considering the severity of my crime I'm most grateful for the leniency of
    > the court![/ref]

    Gee, and here I was thinking that was a clear case of cruel and unusual
    punishment.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    Version 2.0: Delocalize, Repair Permissions, lots more.

  15. #15

    In article <prodigy.net>,
    James L. Ryan <com> wrote:

    > Considering the severity of my crime I'm most grateful for the leniency of
    > the court![/ref]

    If it were really bad we'd sentence you to Windows XP. 3.1 doesn't have
    the dancing paper clip.

    --
    Barry Margolin, mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  16. #16

    On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 15:51:06 GMT, James L Ryan <com> wrote:

    Oh, I agree, but it's technically a _valid_ domain, just not the one you
    intended to go to. Lots of these "domain squatters" will pick URLs that
    are close to existing sites, to take advantage of exactly what you saw.
    Somehow, they think that being fooled into looking at their ad will make you
    want to give them money - not sure how that is supposed to work, though.

    Dave Guest

  17. #17

    On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 20:17:35 GMT, D. Kirkpatrick <com> wrote:

    > Ok, for pennance you have to use a Windows 3.1 system for 1 week.[/ref]

    Hey now, let's keep things civilized in here, please.

    Dave Guest

  18. #18

    Kirk Guest

  19. #19

    In article <net>,
    "Bev A. Kupf" <net> wrote:

    > > I just now checked and Safari suggests the completion "rottontomatoes.com/"
    > > after I've typed "r". What's interesting (amusing?) is that Safari
    > > continues
    > > to fill in this way after I've correctly entered a "rottentomatoes".[/ref]
    >
    > I think that clearing Safari's history (under the history menu) should
    > fix this behaviour.
    >
    > Beverly[/ref]

    clearing Safari's history clears some but not all (at least on my
    computer Panther 10.3.3, Safari 1.2.1). Where are these "shortcuts"
    stored?

    Karl.
    Karl Guest

  20. #20

    On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 21:30:07 -0500, Kirk Strauser wrote
    (in article <com>):

    [responding to my grumping about having arrived at "netster" instead of
    "rottentomatoes".

    As you may have noticed in the other postings in this thread my arrival at
    netster was the result of an inadvertent spelling error on my part.
    Apparently the owners of netster had registered the domain name
    "rottontomatoes" (note the misspelling) which is the misspelling I accidently
    used.

    As for bookmarking rottentomatoes, I actually have done that, but my personal
    tendency is to type in the beginnings of the URL and let Safari fill it out,
    an action I find generally faster than using the bookmark.

    -- James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft

    James Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast