Professional Web Applications Themes

Network-ally Challenged - Mac Networking

We are semi-rural with no broadband as yet and we'd like to go with a wireless network so my husband can use his iBook (SE Graphite) anywhere in the house and for many other reasons. I have a G4 Quicksilver in my home office and I also have a Newer G3 (PowerCenter) downstairs that I'd like to get on the network as well. How well would it work if we situated an Airport Extreme hub near the G3 (so the G3 could be plugged into it)? Is that possible? The G3 and the iBook are both on OS 9.x. I ...

  1. #1

    Default Network-ally Challenged

    We are semi-rural with no broadband as yet and we'd like to go with a
    wireless network so my husband can use his iBook (SE Graphite) anywhere
    in the house and for many other reasons. I have a G4 Quicksilver in my
    home office and I also have a Newer G3 (PowerCenter) downstairs that I'd
    like to get on the network as well. How well would it work if we
    situated an Airport Extreme hub near the G3 (so the G3 could be plugged
    into it)? Is that possible? The G3 and the iBook are both on OS 9.x.
    I run 10.3.3 on the G4 and would like it to serve the network. I want
    to use the Airport Extreme since we'll likely replace the ibook with a
    Powerbook in the near future, though I realize that the iBook can't take
    advantage of it. I do not know about the G4 but I think it is not
    Airport Extreme "ready", right? Can that be altered?

    Will this configuration work? Will I be able to share the (Epson 740)
    printer currently attached to the G4 and, if so, how? Also, given that
    two of the computers are on OS 9, would Airport Extreme permit us to
    share a dialup (integrated pair) internet connection and how do we
    secure the network? Is there a website I can access that will explain
    this stuff? I have never set up a network before. Alas, I am
    network-ally challenged.

    Madeline
    Madwen Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Network-ally Challenged

    In article <giganews.com>,
    Madwen <com> wrote:

    Actually, it's quite easy. Get the Airport Extreme model with built-in
    modem (list price $250). If the printer is a USB printer, plug it into
    the USB port on the Airport.

    Plug the G3 into the LAN ethernet port on the Airport. Put an airport
    or airport extreme card (whichever is applicable) into the iBook and the
    G4. If the G4 doesn't have provisions for an airport card, you can get
    a PCI WiFi card for it.

    Then set up the system using the airport utilities that come with the
    system. (Download the upgrades as soon as you're on the network.)

    That's it.

    -- Michelle

    --
    Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.
    Michelle Guest

  3. #3

    In article <west.cox.net>,
    Michelle Steiner <org> wrote:

    > Actually, it's quite easy. Get the Airport Extreme model with built-in
    > modem (list price $250). If the printer is a USB printer, plug it into
    > the USB port on the Airport.
    >
    > Plug the G3 into the LAN ethernet port on the Airport. Put an airport
    > or airport extreme card (whichever is applicable) into the iBook and the
    > G4. If the G4 doesn't have provisions for an airport card, you can get
    > a PCI WiFi card for it.
    >
    > Then set up the system using the airport utilities that come with the
    > system. (Download the upgrades as soon as you're on the network.)
    >
    > That's it.
    >
    > -- Michelle[/ref]

    Wow. Thanks so much for responding. The printer (Epson 740 USB) needs
    to be in my office near the Quicksilver since I use it so much (the G3
    is on the lower level). So I guess I will have to print his docs for
    him or he can just come in and plug in like he does now. If he had a
    new Powerbook on OS X, could I wirelessly share the printer in my office
    with him (w/Airport downstairs) instead? A second printer would be
    another option I guess.

    Madeleine

    ..
    Madwen Guest

  4. #4

    In article <giganews.com>,
    Madwen <com> wrote:

    Sure, you can use your computer as a printer server.

  5. #5

    Michelle Steiner <org> wrote:

    USB printer sharing via an ABS is only support in OS X.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg
    Ralph Nader: Unsafe at any speed

  6. #6

    In article <1gdny4z.oz2avm14498g0N%invalid>,
    invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

    > USB printer sharing via an ABS is only support in OS X.[/ref]

    OK thanks.
    Madwen Guest