Professional Web Applications Themes

Network Connection Lost - Windows Networking

Sorry, I forgot some information. This computer is running XP Home. I have also tried to ping websites and the other computer on the network, no luck. Any info at all would be really helpful as this is used as a business computer at a home office, important to get back up and running. Thanks....

  1. #1

    Default Network Connection Lost

    Sorry, I forgot some information. This computer is
    running XP Home. I have also tried to ping websites and
    the other computer on the network, no luck. Any info at
    all would be really helpful as this is used as a business
    computer at a home office, important to get back up and
    running. Thanks.
    Andrew Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Network Connection Lost

    Was there ever a firewall, virus scanner, VPN client etc, installed on that
    computer? If so try uninstalling it.

    --

    Ken Wickes [MSFT]

    "Andrew" <ndxc3hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have a simple two computer network set up. Linksys 4
    > port router. Cable modem. Both computers have worked
    > without problems. Now one computer (basically a brand new
    > computer) is not connecting. By looking on the router it
    > shows it as being connected. It is sending packets out,
    > but nothing is coming back. I have connected it directly
    > to the modem, no luck. Used that cable with another
    > computer, cable is fine. Tried to "Repair" the connection
    > and get "Cannot renew IP address" The computer has the IP
    > and Subnet Mask set. Only idea I have left is to
    > reinstall the network driver and all that. Anyone know a
    > good article on that if you have no other ideas? Thanks,
    > any help is greatly appreciated
    > -Andrew

    Ken Wickes [MSFT] Guest

  3. #3

    Possibly a virus scanner that came with the computer. I
    will check. Lavasoft AdAware was recently installed. No
    firewall, VPN or anything else. Computer is used simply
    for AutoCad. Needs network connection though. Also
    uninstalled the network adapter and reinstalled. Going to
    try and reinstall the network driver.

    confers no rights.

    Andrew Guest

  4. #4

    Adaware has a bit of a track record for causing problems like this.

    What error do you get when you type "ipconfig /renew" at a command line?

    --

    > Possibly a virus scanner that came with the computer. I
    > will check. Lavasoft AdAware was recently installed. No
    > firewall, VPN or anything else. Computer is used simply
    > for AutoCad. Needs network connection though. Also
    > uninstalled the network adapter and reinstalled. Going to
    > try and reinstall the network driver.

    Ken Wickes [MSFT] Guest

  5. #5

    Ken,
    Thanks for your replies. I am not at the computer (with
    the problem) right now, I will be in a couple hours. But
    if I remember correctly, when I run ipconfig /renew, I get
    something like, command can not be run because it is not
    being run against a socket or something similar to that.
    I will find out the exact error message and post it, once
    I am at the computer. I will also check out AdAware.
    Andrew

    Andrew Guest

  6. #6

    Sounds like a corrupted Winsock catalog, seems to be a common side effect of
    Adaware

    If you have access to a working XP machine you can try this KB

    [url]http://support.microsoft.com/?id=811259[/url]

    --

    > Ken,
    > Thanks for your replies. I am not at the computer (with
    > the problem) right now, I will be in a couple hours. But
    > if I remember correctly, when I run ipconfig /renew, I get
    > something like, command can not be run because it is not
    > being run against a socket or something similar to that.
    > I will find out the exact error message and post it, once
    > I am at the computer. I will also check out AdAware.
    > Andrew

    Ken Wickes [MSFT] Guest

  7. #7

    The error message received from ipconfig /renew is "An
    error occurred while renewing interface Local Area
    Connection: An operation was attempted on something that
    is not a socket."
    Andrew Guest

  8. #8

    Ken,
    Thank you so much. That was exactly the problem. However
    I found another article for that problem, directly related
    to AdAware. For your own reference or anyone else reading
    this: I ran the following program and it fixed my
    registry keys:

    [url]http://members.shaw.ca/techcd/WinsockXPFix.exe[/url]

    Thanks again for your help. It's greatly appreciated.
    Andrew
    Andrew Guest