Professional Web Applications Themes

network speed - please advise me - Mac Applications & Software

Setup: Mac OS X and snow airport network [via regular ethernet cable and not wireless]. My network utility application says that the link speed is 10Mb on both my eMac and TI PowerBook both of which support 100Mb speeds. Why and how do I fix this? Can't I set the speed to 100Mb? Shouldn't it be set automatically? Please help. Thanks, PaulN...

  1. #1

    Default network speed - please advise me

    Setup: Mac OS X and snow airport network [via regular ethernet cable and not
    wireless].

    My network utility application says that the link speed is 10Mb on both my
    eMac and TI PowerBook both of which support 100Mb speeds.

    Why and how do I fix this? Can't I set the speed to 100Mb? Shouldn't it be
    set automatically?

    Please help. Thanks, PaulN
    Paul Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: network speed - please advise me

    In article <bj7n38$but$magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>,
    com (Paul Nevai) wrote:

    If you've got multiple Macs wired in, you must have a hub or a switch in
    there somewhere. Does it support 100BaseT?

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  3. #3

    Paul Nevai <com> wrote:

    What speed does your network provider support? Chances are, it
    is only 10Mb, which is common for home broadband network providers.

    stan@temple.edu Guest

  4. #4

    In article <bj7n38$but$magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>,
    Paul Nevai <com> wrote:

    What are your eMac and Powerbook plugged into? The Airport only has
    one LAN port.
    --
    Matthew T. Russotto net
    of justice is no virtue." But extreme restriction of liberty in pursuit of

  5. #5

    Tom Harrington <no.spam.dammit.net> aszonygya:
    :If you've got multiple Macs wired in, you must have a hub or a switch in
    :there somewhere. Does it support 100BaseT?

    Hey, that might be it!!! Let me check...intel inBusiness...about 4 years old.

    How do I know if it supports 100 Mb? It says 10BASE-T Does "10" refer to 10
    Mb? I guess so [I will call their tech support too I did - yes 10Mb].

    OK, so I need to buy a new hub. Any suggestions? I mean quality-wise not
    price-wise. I could use an 8 hub port.

    BTW, Tom, I very much appreciate your insight. /PaulN
    Paul Guest

  6. #6

    On 4 Sep 2003, Paul Nevai wrote:

    10 Base-T means 10 megabits/s, which means you will get a maximum real
    world throughput of around 1 megabyte/s.

    Fred

    Frederick Guest

  7. #7

    Frederick Cheung <DUH.ucam.org> aszonygya:
    :10 Base-T means 10 megabits/s, which means you will get a maximum real
    :world throughput of around 1 megabyte/s.

    Yep, you are right. I see that Intel is no longer selling inBusiness hubs.
    Some Amazon raters complain that their Linksys hubs die too soon. Any
    suggestions for a solid 100 Base-T 8 port hub to work with my Airport? /PaulN
    Paul Guest

  8. #8

    On 4 Sep 2003 20:36:10 GMT,
    Paul Nevai (ohio-state.edu) wrote:

    Yes, the 10baseT refers to 10 mbits/sec.

    I have a Netgear FS108 8-port fast ethernet switch that has never given
    me trouble -- supports both 10 Mbps and 100 Mbps devices. Runs about
    $50 - $60.

    But there are many good, reliable choices in that price range with similar
    features. I happen to like Netgear's products. I would recommend a switch
    over a hub.

    Beverly
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev Guest

  9. #9

    bevakupfthose_who_need_to_know_have_it aszonygya:
    :But there are many good, reliable choices in that price range with similar
    :features. I happen to like Netgear's products. I would recommend a switch
    :over a hub.

    Please explain the difference between a hub and a switch. Sorry for being so
    dumb. Google came up with over 300,000 hits for "ethernet hub switch". I'd
    appreciate a pointer for explanation. Thanks, PaulN
    Paul Guest

  10. #10

    In article <bj87nq$ees$magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>,
    ohio-state.edu (Paul Nevai) wrote:

    Why not go with a router instead. The Asanté Friendlynet that I have
    also has a serial port and parallel print spooler which really speeds up
    PostScript to the printer.

    --
    Ron
    Ron Guest

  11. #11

    In article <bj89b6$ekf$magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>,
    ohio-state.edu (Paul Nevai) wrote:

    Go buy the cheapest 8-port 10/100 switch you can find. Shouldn't cost
    more than $30. Dumb (unmanaged) 100Mb switches are a commodity item at
    this point; they all use the same chipsets, and are all capable of
    wire-speed performance. It's not even worth thinking about spending
    significant money for a brand name for home/small office use here.
    Don't buy a hub unless you have a specific need for one (such as traffic
    sniffing - if you don't know what it is you don't need it). The only
    caveat is that if you are still using AppleTalk rather than TCP/IP in
    your home network, you need to be careful as very few low-end switches
    support it.

    The responder talking about broadband provisioning and 10 Mb was way off
    base - ignore that posting.

    KeS
    Kevin Guest

  12. #12

    On 4 Sep 2003 21:19:22 GMT,
    Paul Nevai (ohio-state.edu) wrote:

    When a hub receives an ethernet frame, it transmits that frame to all
    of its ports. When a switch receives a frame, it reads the destination
    address from the header information in the frame and sends the packet
    only to the single destination port that the packet should be
    transmitted to.

    The net effect is that switched networks are much more efficient, because
    of an effective reduction in losses of efficiency due to frame collision.

    The NICs in your Macs will operate in full duplex mode if they are
    connected to a switch. They will operate in half duplex mode if connected
    to a hub. My guess is that a 8-port Fast Ethernet Switch will be about
    as expensive as an 8-port hub. So get the switch.

    Cheers,
    Beverly
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev Guest

  13. #13

    Ron Parsons <net> aszonygya:
    :Why not go with a router instead. The Asanté Friendlynet that I have
    :also has a serial port and parallel print spooler which really speeds up
    :PostScript to the printer.

    Probably I don't need a router. I have an Airport with 3 Macs and and HP
    LaserJet 3300 Postscript printer with an HP print server. The printer works
    fine except that HP does not support OS X 10.2 so that I can use the printer
    only as a printer and not as a scanner and such unless I am in classic mode.

    /PaulN
    Paul Guest