Professional Web Applications Themes

network xp/win98 can't print to shared printers - Windows Networking

hi, can someone help me - please. two home computers are networked and sharing internet connection. Network finally seems to be running ok - can browse internet from shared connection, see shared folders etc., and each others computers etc. though network neighbourhood - but can't use each others printers. Message on each computer is that other's printer can't be found on network. I've followed instructions, several times in fact. "Help" said to check permissions, by holding down CNTRL & right- clicking printer for security tab, but no matter how much I try the tab won't come up. I'm at my ...

  1. #1

    Default network xp/win98 can't print to shared printers

    hi, can someone help me - please. two home computers are
    networked and sharing internet connection. Network
    finally seems to be running ok - can browse internet from
    shared connection, see shared folders etc., and each
    others computers etc. though network neighbourhood - but
    can't use each others printers. Message on each computer
    is that other's printer can't be found on network. I've
    followed instructions, several times in fact. "Help" said
    to check permissions, by holding down CNTRL & right-
    clicking printer for security tab, but no matter how much
    I try the tab won't come up. I'm at my wit's end, is
    there someone out there know's the answer?????
    Maryann Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: network xp/win98 can't print to shared printers

    Maryann wrote:
    > hi, can someone help me - please. two home computers are
    > networked and sharing internet connection. Network
    > finally seems to be running ok - can browse internet from
    > shared connection, see shared folders etc., and each
    > others computers etc. though network neighbourhood - but
    > can't use each others printers. Message on each computer
    > is that other's printer can't be found on network. I've
    > followed instructions, several times in fact. "Help" said
    > to check permissions, by holding down CNTRL & right-
    > clicking printer for security tab, but no matter how much
    > I try the tab won't come up. I'm at my wit's end, is
    > there someone out there know's the answer?????
    You need to mark the printer to be shared; obvious, but sometimes
    overlooked. And, you need to give each printer a short, simple
    ShareName, like BEAUTY or BEAST. Then, click on the AddPrinter
    icon (details depend on the OS), choose Network Printer, and enter
    the name of the other-PC's printer as \\PCname\ShareName.

    That usually will suffice, but nothing about printers is perfect.
    Some printers cannot be easily shared between different OSs, due
    to limitations in the drivers supplied by the printer vendors.
    --
    Cheers, Bob

    Bob Willard Guest

  4. #4

    Hi Bob
    Thanks for taking the time to help me with my problem. I
    had taken those steps several times, to no avail.
    However, each time just as it started to add the printer
    icon to the printer list, a message would state that the
    printer wasn't connected. Later on after posting my
    query, the 98 computer stopped being able to browse and
    check emails (message - TCP/IP error), also lost network
    icons completely. Luckily I had written down the network
    settings and upon checking found several changes to IP
    address etc. After copying them back in and rebooting
    today, the problem is fixed.
    Touch wood!
    Thanks again
    Maryann