Professional Web Applications Themes

Networking between WinXP and Win98 - Windows Networking

I have installed the files needed to network a WinXP and a Windows98 together. On both computers, they can see each other. On the WinXP, I can look at the shared folders on the Win98. However I can't access the files on the XP on either the XP or the Win98 computer. In Network Places on the XP, I click on one of the folders and it gives me the error "\Gateway\Gateway is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions". It ...

  1. #1

    Default Networking between WinXP and Win98

    I have installed the files needed to network a WinXP and
    a Windows98 together. On both computers, they can see
    each other. On the WinXP, I can look at the shared
    folders on the Win98. However I can't access the files
    on the XP on either the XP or the Win98 computer. In
    Network Places on the XP, I click on one of the folders
    and it gives me the error "\\Gateway\Gateway is not
    accessible. You might not have permission to use this
    network resource. Contact the administrator of this
    server to find out if you have access permissions". It
    continues to lines down in the same error and says "Not
    enough server storage is available to process this
    command." This is just a home network and both users on
    the XP are administrators. I'd expect this if I was
    trying to look at the XP from the 98 but it also does it
    when I look at the XP from the XP.
    Nathan Mooney Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Networking between WinXP and Win98

    In article <0bb001c347cd$2ca0f680$a601280aphx.gbl>, "Nathan Mooney"
    <namooneysbcglobal.net> wrote:
    >I have installed the files needed to network a WinXP and
    >a Windows98 together. On both computers, they can see
    >each other. On the WinXP, I can look at the shared
    >folders on the Win98. However I can't access the files
    >on the XP on either the XP or the Win98 computer. In
    >Network Places on the XP, I click on one of the folders
    >and it gives me the error "\\Gateway\Gateway is not
    >accessible. You might not have permission to use this
    >network resource. Contact the administrator of this
    >server to find out if you have access permissions". It
    >continues to lines down in the same error and says "Not
    >enough server storage is available to process this
    >command." This is just a home network and both users on
    >the XP are administrators. I'd expect this if I was
    >trying to look at the XP from the 98 but it also does it
    >when I look at the XP from the XP.
    That error message is very misleading. The problem is probably that
    an antivirus program has changed an obscure TCP/IP setting. Please
    see this Microsoft Knowledge Base article for a likely solution,
    specifying a value of 15 for IRPStackSize on the XP computer:

    Antivirus Software May Cause Event ID 2011
    [url]http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;177078[/url]
    --
    Best Wishes,

    [url]http://mvp.support.microsoft.com[/url]
    Steve Winograd [MVP] Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for the reply. I checked it out. The value was
    set for "b". I put in the value of 15 and it worked.
    Thanks a bunch.

    Nathan

    questions
    >addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.
    >
    >Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
    >[url]http://mvp.support.microsoft.com[/url]
    >.

    Nathan Mooney Guest

  4. #4