Professional Web Applications Themes

Networking Mac/PC - help - Mac Applications & Software

Hi, Basically, I've got an iBook and a WindowsPC (running XP home). I've got broadband internet (USB modem) which I can switch between the two computers. I'd prefer to be able to use them both online at once. Both machines have ethernet. I know I could get a router, but I have been told that it should be possible to configure the machines so that the PC connects via the modem, and then the iBook connects to the net via the PC. Has anyone been able to set this up, and could you tell me what network settings are required ...

  1. #1

    Default Networking Mac/PC - help

    Hi,

    Basically, I've got an iBook and a WindowsPC (running XP home).

    I've got broadband internet (USB modem) which I can switch between the
    two computers. I'd prefer to be able to use them both online at once.
    Both machines have ethernet. I know I could get a router, but I have
    been told that it should be possible to configure the machines so that
    the PC connects via the modem, and then the iBook connects to the net
    via the PC.

    Has anyone been able to set this up, and could you tell me what network
    settings are required ?

    Thanks,

    Mark
    Mark Elliott Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Networking Mac/PC - help

    "Mark Elliott" <m.c.elliottbtinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Basically, I've got an iBook and a WindowsPC (running XP home).
    >
    > I've got broadband internet (USB modem) which I can switch between the
    > two computers. I'd prefer to be able to use them both online at once.
    > Both machines have ethernet. I know I could get a router, but I have
    > been told that it should be possible to configure the machines so that
    > the PC connects via the modem, and then the iBook connects to the net
    > via the PC.
    >
    > Has anyone been able to set this up, and could you tell me what network
    > settings are required ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mark
    Cross over network cable - works a treat here :-) make sure you have a
    network bridge setting on the pc after you have ran the network setup wizard

    Martin

    Marty1a Guest

  3. #3

    "Mark Elliott" <m.c.elliottbtinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Basically, I've got an iBook and a WindowsPC (running XP home).
    >
    > I've got broadband internet (USB modem) which I can switch between the
    > two computers. I'd prefer to be able to use them both online at once.
    > Both machines have ethernet. I know I could get a router, but I have
    > been told that it should be possible to configure the machines so that
    > the PC connects via the modem, and then the iBook connects to the net
    > via the PC.
    >
    > Has anyone been able to set this up, and could you tell me what network
    > settings are required ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mark
    oh and make sure on the mac you have windows sharing etc.. active :-) and
    that windows users can log into the mac within your account settings

    Martin

    Marty1a Guest

  4. #4

    In article <m.c.elliott-5D9459.13394515072003news.swman.net.uk>,
    Mark Elliott <m.c.elliottbtinternet.com> wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >Basically, I've got an iBook and a WindowsPC (running XP home).
    >
    >I've got broadband internet (USB modem) which I can switch between the
    >two computers. I'd prefer to be able to use them both online at once.
    >Both machines have ethernet. I know I could get a router.....
    Others have pointed out how to do this without a router, but if you
    can, you should replace the USB modem with an ethernet (cable? dsl?)
    modem. These can have multiple ethernet outputs and contain a router.
    All machines in your house can then talk to each other and the internet.
    Each machine becomes independent of others for their network connection.
    This is really The Right Way to do this.

    --
    Daniel Packman
    NCAR/ACD

  5. #5

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:39:45 +0100, Mark Elliott
    <m.c.elliottbtinternet.com> wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >Basically, I've got an iBook and a WindowsPC (running XP home).
    >
    >I've got broadband internet (USB modem) which I can switch between the
    >two computers. I'd prefer to be able to use them both online at once.
    >Both machines have ethernet. I know I could get a router, but I have
    >been told that it should be possible to configure the machines so that
    >the PC connects via the modem, and then the iBook connects to the net
    >via the PC.
    >
    >Has anyone been able to set this up, and could you tell me what network
    >settings are required ?
    Connect the two via an Ethernet crossover cable.

    Plug the USB modem into the PC.

    On the PC, find the USB modem (it should be in Network Connections),
    and go through the options to turn on internet connection sharing.
    This will automatically change the IP address of your network card and
    allow the Mac to get an IP address from the PC's NIC/DHCP server.

    That should be all you need. You do NOT need to create any user IDs
    on either of the computers unless you want to directly share files
    between PC and Mac; that's not related to internet connection sharing.

    A better solution is to buy a router. Microcenter has them for $9
    after rebate this week, and $29 gets a wireless router (after
    rebates). Then you'd need a cable/dsl modem that had Ethernet
    outputs; after that point you'd be all set. [url]www.microcenter.com[/url]
    foo Guest

  6. #6

    Daniel Packman <packeos.ucar.edu> wrote:
    > In article <m.c.elliott-5D9459.13394515072003news.swman.net.uk>,
    > Mark Elliott <m.c.elliottbtinternet.com> wrote:
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >Basically, I've got an iBook and a WindowsPC (running XP home).
    > >
    > >I've got broadband internet (USB modem) which I can switch between the
    > >two computers. I'd prefer to be able to use them both online at once.
    > >Both machines have ethernet. I know I could get a router.....
    >
    > Others have pointed out how to do this without a router, but if you
    > can, you should replace the USB modem with an ethernet (cable? dsl?)
    > modem. These can have multiple ethernet outputs and contain a router.
    > All machines in your house can then talk to each other and the internet.
    > Each machine becomes independent of others for their network connection.
    > This is really The Right Way to do this.
    Seconded.

    USB modems are Evil, because they need drivers. Your OS gets updated,
    they stop working, you lose broadband until the company gets around to
    updating the drivers.

    With Ethernet, it all just works, since Ethernet is *designed* for
    networking so you won't need anything more than generic ethernet drivers
    (ie built-in). Using USB is just a dodgy hack that came about because
    more PCs have USB than have ethernet.

    -z-

    --
    "I'm not sure how useful this is, but it's bloody clever."
    - Jonathon Sanderson in uk.comp.sys.mac

  7. #7

    >I've got broadband internet (USB modem) which I can switch between the
    >two computers. I'd prefer to be able to use them both online at once.
    >Both machines have ethernet. I know I could get a router, but I have
    >been told that it should be possible to configure the machines so that
    >the PC connects via the modem, and then the iBook connects to the net
    >via the PC.
    Yes, it's possible.

    And it s. I mean it really, really s. it's unnecessarily aggrevating to
    do things this way.

    I shared my broadband connection this way for years. And I should have bought a
    router years ago.

    The advantages to the router:

    - MUCH easier to configure and set up.

    - You don't have to have the PC turned on to surf from the Mac.

    - Supports more computers.

    - Allows you to control port forwarding.

    - Protects all the computers with a hardware firewall.

    - And did I mention it's less aggrevating?

    --
    Rude T-shirts for a rude age: [url]http://www.villaintees.com[/url]
    [url]http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html[/url]

    Tacit Guest