Professional Web Applications Themes

Networking Windows XP Home Edition with Windows 2000 Professional - Windows Networking

I have a D-link wireless router (di-614+) connected to cable modem. Desktop computer with Windows XP Home Edition connected to router with CAT5 ethernet cable. Laptop computer with Dlink dwl-650 wireless network card. At this point, each computer can see the other one when viewing "entire network". I have put them both in a workgroup of the same name. I even made the SSID on the router the same as the workgroup. However, I can't access files on either computer. When I try from laptop to desktop I get "There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon ...

  1. #1

    Default Networking Windows XP Home Edition with Windows 2000 Professional

    I have a D-link wireless router (di-614+) connected to
    cable modem. Desktop computer with Windows XP Home
    Edition connected to router with CAT5 ethernet cable.
    Laptop computer with Dlink dwl-650 wireless network card.

    At this point, each computer can see the other one when
    viewing "entire network". I have put them both in a
    workgroup of the same name. I even made the SSID on the
    router the same as the workgroup.

    However, I can't access files on either computer. When I
    try from laptop to desktop I get "There are currently no
    logon servers available to service the logon request".
    When I try from desktop to laptop I don't have password
    for the BASEMENT\username. BASEMENT is the name of the
    desktop computer. I think this issue can be resolved my
    having the administrator at work create a password for
    me.

    I am getting frustrated, any help is appreciated.
    Earl Guest

  2. #2

    Your laptop is probably joined to a domain so when you connect to the
    desktop you will have to connect with a username of BASEMENT\username.

    For desktop to laptop, you can do the reverse and use a username of
    LAPTOPNAME\username or have a matching account of your desktop account on
    the laptop.

    --

    Ken Wickes [MSFT]

    "Earl" <kandeschneideratt.net> wrote in message
    > I have a D-link wireless router (di-614+) connected to
    > cable modem. Desktop computer with Windows XP Home
    > Edition connected to router with CAT5 ethernet cable.
    > Laptop computer with Dlink dwl-650 wireless network card.
    >
    > At this point, each computer can see the other one when
    > viewing "entire network". I have put them both in a
    > workgroup of the same name. I even made the SSID on the
    > router the same as the workgroup.
    >
    > However, I can't access files on either computer. When I
    > try from laptop to desktop I get "There are currently no
    > logon servers available to service the logon request".
    > When I try from desktop to laptop I don't have password
    > for the BASEMENT\username. BASEMENT is the name of the
    > desktop computer. I think this issue can be resolved my
    > having the administrator at work create a password for
    > me.
    >
    > I am getting frustrated, any help is appreciated.

    Ken Wickes [MSFT] Guest

  3. #3

    Ken,

    Thanks for the prompt response. To clarify, I'm not sure
    I know what you mean when you say connect to the desktop
    with a username of BASEMENT\username. Do you mean login
    this way upon startup, because I don't get prompted for
    username and password when trying to access BASEMENT
    through explore - my network places - entire network -
    microsoft windows network - WORKGROUP - BASEMENT (with
    double left click). I just get the error message. Maybe
    I'm trying to get at the folders the wrong way?

    The second paragraph of your response also throws me
    off. When I put in my username and password (that I use
    at work) the computer returns the desktop computer name
    (BASEMENT\), not the laptop name, in front of my username
    and asks for a new password.

    You also mention desktop account. How do I know what
    this is?

    If this is too much for you to deal with, I will forward
    your previous response to my IT guys, and we can likely
    figure it out.

    Thanks

    Earl Guest

  4. #4

    I'll try and be more clear. When you connect to a server, you need to use
    an account that makes sense to the server. In the absence of a domain, each
    computer has it's own accounts which are unknown to each other.

    So if you want to connect to BASEMENT (from any computer) and the account on
    BASEMENT is User1, then the full name of the account is BASEMENT\User1. So
    use the Map Network Drive wizard, and select Connect as a different user,
    and give it the full account name and password.

    Now there is a sneaky shortcut. When you connect to a remote server,
    Windows will try logging onto a server account using the same short username
    and password that you are logged on with. This works for many home users,
    but doesn't for you because your laptop is joined to a domain and you are
    probably logging in with a domain account.

    Better?

    --

    > Ken,
    >
    > Thanks for the prompt response. To clarify, I'm not sure
    > I know what you mean when you say connect to the desktop
    > with a username of BASEMENT\username. Do you mean login
    > this way upon startup, because I don't get prompted for
    > username and password when trying to access BASEMENT
    > through explore - my network places - entire network -
    > microsoft windows network - WORKGROUP - BASEMENT (with
    > double left click). I just get the error message. Maybe
    > I'm trying to get at the folders the wrong way?
    >
    > The second paragraph of your response also throws me
    > off. When I put in my username and password (that I use
    > at work) the computer returns the desktop computer name
    > (BASEMENT\), not the laptop name, in front of my username
    > and asks for a new password.
    >
    > You also mention desktop account. How do I know what
    > this is?
    >
    > If this is too much for you to deal with, I will forward
    > your previous response to my IT guys, and we can likely
    > figure it out.
    >
    > Thanks

    Ken Wickes [MSFT] Guest

  5. #5

    Earl you are doing better than me... i ahve the same
    wireless router, a desktop running XPhome, laptop running
    XPpro.. and i cant even get them to see eachother.

    which did you setup first, the laptop, or desktop? did
    you use the wizard?

    all i want to do is share one folder, so i can eliminate
    using my usb drive pen.

    thanks for your help

    matthew Guest

  6. #6

    Ken,

    Thanks again for responding, but I attempted to connect
    as a different user through the Map Network Drive wizard
    with no luck. Here's what I did:

    1. Desktop has user Earl and I made a password (all
    lower case).

    2. Went to laptop and connected as a different user (I
    tried both BASEMENT\Earl and Basement\Earl, even
    basement\earl).

    3. That returns me to Map Network Drive where I browse
    out to Basement.

    4. Double left click on Basement with HMMG workgroup and
    nothing happens.

    5. Right click on Basement and try to open and I'm back
    to "There are currently no logon servers available to
    service the logon request".

    This wouldn't be a problem with the firewall in the
    router would it? I don't think so since the computers
    can see each other.

    Also, since the computers are both in the same workgroup
    (HMMG) I wouldn't have to put that in front of the
    username (e.g. HMMG\Basement\Earl)?

    I do appreciate all your help. If this thread reveals
    any relevant info please get back to me, if not thanks
    again.

    earl Guest

  7. #7

    I am stuck on the same problem with my two PC's please let
    me know if you find anything out.

    sbarraza

    sbarraza Guest

  8. #8

    The net use trick was mostly to show that it does work. Here's what you can
    do.

    On the laptop create an account that uses the same username and password as
    you use when you log into BASEMENT. That should allow you to access the
    laptop from the desktop.

    You don't mention what OS the laptop runs. If it is XP Pro, visit the User
    Account control panel and go to the advanced tab. It will allow you to
    store names and passwords for different servers. Use the name and password
    that worked for NET USE.

    Are you referring to just sharing the programs files or accessing the
    Windows desktop of the desktop machine? If the latter, you could consider
    upgrading to XP Pro which has Remote Desktop. Otherwise there are 3-rd
    party products like PCAnywhere, but I have never used any of them. Maybe
    others here have some advice.

    --

    > Ken,
    >
    > It worked and I mapped the drive I wanted. Will I have
    > to authenticate through DOS evertime?
    >
    > I also got the printer to work.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > This may sound like too much, but I would really like to
    > be able to run apps off the desktop from the laptop when
    > I'm home. Can I achieve this with PC Anywhere, VPN, or
    > something else.
    >
    > Thanks for all your help.
    >
    > Earl

    Ken Wickes [MSFT] Guest

  9. #9

    Ken,

    My laptop has 2000 professional. Do I need my
    administrator at work to set up the username and
    password, or can I do it within my standard login profile?

    Judging from your email, I take it that I can't use
    Remote Desktop Connection in XP Home Edition?

    I might try VNC which is a freeware that is supposed to
    accomplish what I want. Upgrading to XP Pro seems like a
    real hassle since I would have to reinstall all my
    applications, etc.

    Thanks again.

    Earl

    Earl Guest

  10. #10

    I don't believe 2000pro could store passwords like XP, but it's been a
    while, anyone?

    Home edition cannot be a remote desktop server, just a client.

    --

    > Ken,
    >
    > My laptop has 2000 professional. Do I need my
    > administrator at work to set up the username and
    > password, or can I do it within my standard login profile?
    >
    > Judging from your email, I take it that I can't use
    > Remote Desktop Connection in XP Home Edition?
    >
    > I might try VNC which is a freeware that is supposed to
    > accomplish what I want. Upgrading to XP Pro seems like a
    > real hassle since I would have to reinstall all my
    > applications, etc.
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > Earl

    Ken Wickes [MSFT] Guest

  11. #11

    Ken,

    I thought I posted a reply, but maybe not. So, I will
    write it again.

    I have 2000 professional on laptop. Do I need my
    administrator at work to add a username and password that
    duplicates the basement computer, or can I do it?

    As far as remote sharing, I am actually on the laptop now
    with a virtual session on the desktop using Net Meeting.
    It's a little crude but seems to work. I don't think
    that I can use Remote Network Connection directly in XP
    Home Edition?

    It's all been a fun learning experience, and I'm glad to
    see some results in a couple of nights. Thanks again for
    your help.

    I might try some freeware called VNC from AT&T, have you
    heard of it? My company IT guys think it will open ports
    and leave me susceptible to hackers.

    Earl

    Earl Guest

  12. #12

    I don't think there is much your domain admin can do. You could add another
    local account to your laptop, this would require you to switch between
    accounts when you use your laptop. You could just click on the share in
    explorer and enter your name and password when prompted. If you don't mind
    storing your password in batch file you could put one in your startup group
    that did the net use.

    It's possible you could add an account to your desktop that match the
    username password of your laptop domain account. Not sure if that would
    work, never tried it.

    XP Home can't be a Remote Desktop server, just a client.

    Never used VNC. If you are running the server on your desktop and the
    desktop is behind a router, I doubt you have much to worry about.

    It's good for me too to understand the troubles customers have with the NT
    permissions model. A quick read through this newsgroup shows that it is not
    obvious to a great many people.

    --

    > Ken,
    >
    > I thought I posted a reply, but maybe not. So, I will
    > write it again.
    >
    > I have 2000 professional on laptop. Do I need my
    > administrator at work to add a username and password that
    > duplicates the basement computer, or can I do it?
    >
    > As far as remote sharing, I am actually on the laptop now
    > with a virtual session on the desktop using Net Meeting.
    > It's a little crude but seems to work. I don't think
    > that I can use Remote Network Connection directly in XP
    > Home Edition?
    >
    > It's all been a fun learning experience, and I'm glad to
    > see some results in a couple of nights. Thanks again for
    > your help.
    >
    > I might try some freeware called VNC from AT&T, have you
    > heard of it? My company IT guys think it will open ports
    > and leave me susceptible to hackers.
    >
    > Earl

    Ken Wickes [MSFT] Guest

  13. #13

    Ken,

    I am trying to reply post for the third time to your last
    thread. Not sure what the problem is. I'm trying this
    one from work. Last night I wrote:

    "The laptop runs 2000 professional. Do I need an
    administrator at work to set up the user name and
    password, or can I do it within my profile?

    As far as remote desktop, I was able to use net meeting to
    access the desktop of the desktop from my laptop. It's
    crude but works. It's crude because I need the computers
    together to set it up and grant access for control.

    I was considering using freeware called VNC from AT&T in
    Cambridge for remote desktop stuff, but my IT people at
    work say it is a security risk since it opens ports.

    Thanks again for all your help. I have come a long way in
    a couple of nights because of your help."

    Earl

    Earl Guest

  14. #14

    I've seen all 3 of your responses, and answered the last 2, hopefully you
    can find them.

    --

    > Ken,
    >
    > I am trying to reply post for the third time to your last
    > thread. Not sure what the problem is. I'm trying this
    > one from work. Last night I wrote:
    >
    > "The laptop runs 2000 professional. Do I need an
    > administrator at work to set up the user name and
    > password, or can I do it within my profile?
    >
    > As far as remote desktop, I was able to use net meeting to
    > access the desktop of the desktop from my laptop. It's
    > crude but works. It's crude because I need the computers
    > together to set it up and grant access for control.
    >
    > I was considering using freeware called VNC from AT&T in
    > Cambridge for remote desktop stuff, but my IT people at
    > work say it is a security risk since it opens ports.
    >
    > Thanks again for all your help. I have come a long way in
    > a couple of nights because of your help."
    >
    > Earl

    Ken Wickes [MSFT] Guest