Professional Web Applications Themes

New 3d Engine, how does it work? - Macromedia Director 3D

Hello, I see the new 3d engine of director 11 is going to be a major imporvment. I am about to start a large project in shockwave 3d and I realy have to have some answers that might chage my project plan. so - does anybody knows how will it work - how will I make the 3d physic work in director - will I have to export it from my 3d modeling software ? like the HKE in Havok, or will there be another way to apply the 3d physic to the w3d member? Many Thanks Pardon my English ...

  1. #1

    Default New 3d Engine, how does it work?

    Hello, I see the new 3d engine of director 11 is going to be a major
    imporvment. I am about to start a large project in shockwave 3d and I realy
    have to have some answers that might chage my project plan. so -
    does anybody knows how will it work - how will I make the 3d physic work in
    director - will I have to export it from my 3d modeling software ? like the HKE
    in Havok, or will there be another way to apply the 3d physic to the w3d member?

    Many Thanks
    Pardon my English
    Yoav:confused;

    Yohan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: New 3d Engine, how does it work?

    Director 11 is using the same old 3d engine.
    Havok support has been dropped, but you can still use the old Havok xtra and HKE files.
    Romeo.Marian Guest

  3. #3

    Yes, but to get the HKE file I need to work with Max 5 or Plasma, corret me if
    I'm worng. If I'm not worng, does this mean that all the shockwave 3d games I
    see online were built in Max 5(or Plasma)?
    Adobe says that Diector 11 will have a new and better 3d physics engine - the
    AGEIA Physix, and by what I have read it it ment replace the Havok, only they
    don't explain how it will be done exactly.

    ?
    Thanks

    Yohan Guest

  4. #4

    Hi Yohan,

    At Mockworld we never export any physics data from 3DS Max, we do all of the
    physics stuff in Director through code. You must simply insert a Havok Physics
    Scene and initialize it, I'm assuming it will work in a similar fashion with
    AGEIA PhysX.

    Steve

    mockworld Guest

  5. #5

    So you do all the physic by code, including rigid bodies, and motor systems as
    well (like a car)?
    Do you have a good tutorial for that?
    What do you mean when you say "insert a Havok Physics Scene and initialize it"
    -
    I have the W3D file, and I have Havok behaviors. Do you mean a 3d file built
    using the reactor plug-in ,and then use the "Havok (inserted HKE)" behavior?
    and what then?

    Many thanks
    Yoav

    Yohan Guest

  6. #6

    And another question - how do I creat a HKE file member (that member with the havok icon) if not by importing it?

    Thanks
    Yohan Guest

  7. #7

    This will probably help
    http://director-online.com/havok/xdev/docs.html

    I think you can create the member in director, but it has been a while since I did it.
    KingDruid Guest

  8. #8

    > how do I creat a HKE file member (that member with the havok icon) if not by importing it?

    Insert -> Media Element -> Havok Physics Scene

    Creating an Ageia Dynamiks member will likely be a similar process.
    Sean Guest

  9. #9

    So, creating a car (motor+wheels and all) is also by code?
    Have you got any place with good examples for it?
    The Havok libs however, do not include any behavior cocerning motors, and the
    jeep tutorial in Havok's site is not really enough (no wheels for example).
    Please....

    Thanks
    Yoav

    Yohan Guest

  10. #10

    I wonder if the new physics engine will bring an end to Director's
    two-cast-member approach to physics in SW3D?

    It would be great if you could just do transform changes to objects in a 3D
    cast member and have the collisions of rigid bodies resolve right there.

    Unity does it that way. ;-)

    MartyPlumbo Guest