Professional Web Applications Themes

New Apple device coming! - Mac Applications & Software

Amazing. All the rumour sites don't seem to have a clue about the next surprise Apple has in store for us. But if you just look at the digital lifestyle model you can see the huge gapping hole that I'm willing to bet Apple is filling in January at the latest - although France next week would be nice too. Not a clue what I'm talking about? MacTV of course. The iMac is ideally placed for the living room - give it a TV tuner and Tivo software and it replaces not just your stereo but your TV, VCR and ...

  1. #1

    Default New Apple device coming!

    Amazing. All the rumour sites don't seem to have a clue about the next
    surprise Apple has in store for us. But if you just look at the digital
    lifestyle model you can see the huge gapping hole that I'm willing to bet
    Apple is filling in January at the latest - although France next week would
    be nice too.

    Not a clue what I'm talking about?

    MacTV of course.

    The iMac is ideally placed for the living room - give it a TV tuner and Tivo
    software and it replaces not just your stereo but your TV, VCR and DVD
    player as well. And about time too - I had to buy a TV tuner for one of the
    PCs here at work so that I don't miss out on CSI when working late - I would
    much prefer to be able to do this on my Mac.

    :-)

    Markus

    Markus Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: New Apple device coming!

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 19:45:23 +1200, Markus Winter
    <ac.nz> wrote:

    It's a wicked-cool idea but it would be $$$ to have a decent-size
    monitor. OTOH most flat-panel and plasma TVs are really just big
    computer displays. Some even have a separate box for the tuner.
    forge Guest

  3. #3

    In article <BB868153.20EE7%ac.nz>,
    Markus Winter <ac.nz> wrote:

    Already been done. Fairly dismal failure. Not sure if Apple will want to
    dredge it up again any time soon. Consider how long it took them to
    introduce a product with III in the name after the Apple III.

    Gregory Guest

  4. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Matthew Guest
    Moderated Post

  5. #5

    Markus Winter <ac.nz> wrote:

    You can already do this with an EyeTV or other similar product.

    stan@temple.edu Guest

  6. #6

    Default Re: New Apple device coming (based on EyeTV)?

    Markus Winter wrote:

    http://www.macintoshdigitalhub.com/reviews/eyetv/

    The main drawback for me is U.S. broadcasting format (320X240).
    It's a big pain in the butt trying to look at that tiny little
    window on a computer monitor, especially when compared to the
    voltage-ramped og display on a low-res CRT. So you
    end up just playing back your iMac HD on an actual t.v. screen.
    Might as well get Tivo instead and cut out the middleman.
    George Guest

  7. #7

    In article <com>,
    George Williams <com> wrote:

    > http://www.macintoshdigitalhub.com/reviews/eyetv/[/ref]

    Where did you hear this? There's nothing on Apple's web site except
    for a few references to EyeTV. Are they just repackaging it?
    I'm a few days away from buying an EyeTV, so this is of some
    interest.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  8. #8

    In article <4N28b.6063$bellglobal.com>, dotlyc
    <ca> wrote:

    It should be noted that Jim wrote this article/review over 14 months
    ago, preceding the initial commercial release of EyeTV. Since that
    time, El Gato has released significant new software functionality for
    the EyeTV, though I've yet to see any hardware revisions.

    The current (1.2) EyeTV software includes the ability to edit footage
    out of the recorded show, before saving to QuickTime or burning to
    Video CD, for example. Additionally, it will wake your Mac up from
    sleep to record scheduled shows.

    You also aren't tied to TitanTV for scheduling. For example, if you use
    Watson, their TVGuide tool includes buttons for scheduling your EyeTV
    to record shows.

    I've been using my EyeTV since shortly after release and have been very
    pleased with its performance, reliability, and functionality.

    If Apple does release a device based upon the EyeTV, I only hope that
    the folks at El Gato receive the recognition (both laudatory and
    financial) that they deserve for the groundwork they laid.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  9. #9

    In article <attbi.com>,
    Gregory Weston <com> wrote:

    Is there one? There's the G3. But prior to that, they even skipped
    directly from 2 (Mac II series) to 4 (Quadra)

    --
    Matthew T. Russotto net
    of justice is no virtue." But extreme restriction of liberty in pursuit of

  10. #10

    speakeasy.net (Matthew Russotto) writes:

    > Is there one? There's the G3. But prior to that, they even skipped
    > directly from 2 (Mac II series) to 4 (Quadra)[/ref]

    Apple III (1980)

    LCIII (1993).

    Power Macintosh G3 and PowerBook G3 (1997)

    Interestingly enough, Canon skipped the number 4 in their
    PowerShot G series. G1, G2, G3, and now the G5.
    Apparently due to the bad luck associated with the number
    four in Japan.

    No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
    BreadWithSpam@fractious.net Guest

  11. #11

    In article <BB868153.20EE7%ac.nz>,
    Markus Winter <ac.nz> wrote:

    Been there; done that; sold poorly. In fact it's just shy of ten years
    ago that it was introduced. See
    <http://www.lowendmac.com/500/mactv.shtml> for details. It was the only
    black Mac that wasn't a laptop.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  12. #12

    In article <tph-2F1207.14413711092003localhost>, Tom Harrington
    <no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:

    > Been there; done that; sold poorly. In fact it's just shy of ten years
    > ago that it was introduced. See
    > <http://www.lowendmac.com/500/mactv.shtml> for details. It was the only
    > black Mac that wasn't a laptop.[/ref]

    Check out the 5400 and similar models as well. Many of them came with a
    TV tuner card (like the old 5400/180 I have in the other room). They
    were 603e-based PowerMacs.

    Similarly, many models of PowerMacs (like the 8500) came with video
    input jacks and you could connect up any TV tuner, such as a VCR and
    watch TV on your Mac's screen with supplied System software (and,
    optionally, record it to your hard-disk in QT format--also the
    5400-class Macs had this).

    Most recently, the original 15" flat-panel displays that Apple paired
    with the B&W G3s had composite jacks on the back, where you could
    switch them to use as a TV screen.

    In other words, providing functionality to let you use your Mac as a TV
    or PVR isn't new.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  13. #13

    In article <net>,
    speakeasy.net (Matthew Russotto) wrote:

    > Is there one? There's the G3. But prior to that, they even skipped
    > directly from 2 (Mac II series) to 4 (Quadra)[/ref]

    LC III.

    Gregory Guest

  14. #14

    In article <panix.com>,
    net wrote:

    The same reason was given to explain the lack of a "D-4" designation
    for professional digital video recording formats.
    --
    chuck reti
    detroit mi

  15. #15

    I know it has been done before and was a failure, but the problem back then
    was a VERY poor implementation and advertising with the MacTV. The Performa
    5200 on the other hand had a TV tuner which was great but it wasn't widely
    advertised.

    Now however it would just be the next logical step in the iMac as a digital
    hub, and that hard disk prices have fallen dramatically made devices like
    the TiVo viable. Let's face it, with a 500 MB hard disk and no built in CD
    or DVD writer there was no way to properly use the Mac to record TV. Now the
    whole ball game has changed, partly due to excessive advertising, and the
    popularity of the TiVo and other such devices just proves my point.

    Markus

    Markus Guest

  16. #16

    In <tph-2F1207.14413711092003localhost> Tom Harrington wrote:

    The Power Mac 5400 and 5500 were also available in black in some
    countries. They were often sold with a video in/out card, designed for
    doing video editing before digital video cameras were readily available,
    but the card also had a TV and FM radio tuner and like the Mac TV it
    even came with a remote control.

    PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac
    order at http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz
    Roger Guest

  17. #17

    In <panix.com> net wrote:

    >> Is there one? There's the G3. But prior to that, they even skipped
    >> directly from 2 (Mac II series) to 4 (Quadra)[/ref]
    >
    > Apple III (1980)
    >
    > LCIII (1993).
    >
    > Power Macintosh G3 and PowerBook G3 (1997)
    >

    > Interestingly enough, Canon skipped the number 4 in their
    > PowerShot G series. G1, G2, G3, and now the G5.
    > Apparently due to the bad luck associated with the number
    > four in Japan.[/ref]

    The Power Mac 4400 was renamed the Power Mac 7220 for the Asia-Pacific
    region.

    Quote from <http://www.eta.org/~shaggy/BJS_970410/beijingscene/iii1/
    business_briefs.html>
    -
    The reason is that among the more superstitious members of Chinese
    communities, the number "44" (si si literally means "double death") is
    believed to bring bad luck and may even carry connotations of impending
    death.
    -

    Personally, I would be *more* likely to buy a computer called the Power
    Mac Double Death. But maybe that's just me.

  18. #18

    check out the Televio -

    No 352 pixel wide pic here - we're talking 640 wide w MPEG-4, and that's
    a beautiful thing. Timer recording coming soon.

    Included with the package: a sweet and slender remote control that runs
    other applications - with iTunes, it's the bomb! Advance through your
    playlist, change / mute volume, toggle between the full screen visual
    plugin and back to the normal playlist. I love it.

    The home office:

    http://www.meilenstein.com/

    and U.S.A. distribution:

    http://www.drbott.com/prod/db.lasso?QuickSearch=televio
    Jane Guest

  19. #19

    In article <panix.com>,
    <net> wrote:

    >> Is there one? There's the G3. But prior to that, they even skipped
    >> directly from 2 (Mac II series) to 4 (Quadra)[/ref]
    >
    >Apple III (1980)
    >
    >LCIII (1993).[/ref]

    Right -- That's the one I forgot. Not so bad as the Apple III, but not
    a rousing success either.

    Also Korean and Chinese -- I wonder if Apple renames the G4s in those
    countries..

  20. #20

    In article <BB8798A1.21049%ac.nz>,
    Markus Winter <ac.nz> wrote:

    Fair enough.

    But immediately means you must ask whether the market's already
    saturated. Or whether there's a niche within that market that's not
    being addressed and large enough to support the startup and ongoing
    costs of a new alternative.
    Gregory Guest