Professional Web Applications Themes

New Apple Powerbooks - Mac Applications & Software

At last! <http://www.apple.com/powerbook> Bill...

  1. #1

    Default New Apple Powerbooks

    At last!

    <http://www.apple.com/powerbook>

    Bill
    Bill Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: New Apple Powerbooks

    Bill:

    *****

    Powered by -- the dead-end Motorola G4 -- with real-world application
    speeds up to half as fast as the fastest Wintel notebooks! Yawn.
    <http://www.davidillig.com/cinema.shtml>

    Davoud

    --
    usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
    Davoud Guest

  3. #3

    Davoud wrote:

    I often find myself standing across a great ideological divide from you,
    Davoud, and this is such a time. I am shocked -- shocked!! -- that you
    fail to appreciate the value of a glow-in-the-dark keyboard.

    Jim, also yawning
    --

    Longhaired freaky people need not apply.
    Jim Guest

  4. #4

    In article <bk70ql$33k$swcp.com>, com (Jim Hill)
    wrote:

    > I often find myself standing across a great ideological divide from you,
    > Davoud, and this is such a time. I am shocked -- shocked!! -- that you
    > fail to appreciate the value of a glow-in-the-dark keyboard.[/ref]

    Well, you know, in Apple's favor, there's not a whole lot they can do.
    While the machines aren't a real exciting change -- the better Airport
    reception, USB 2.0 & Firewire 800 additions, and graphics upgrades --
    and they could cost a bit less, there's not a whole lot more that
    Apple could have added to these machines.

    - geoff

    --
    Visit http://PostingUp.net
    All college basketball, no Andy Katz

  5. #5

    Davoud: [/ref]

    Jim Hill:

    *****

    Wrong again, O benighted one. I meant to write "...but at least it has
    a glow-in-the-dark keyboard. Yawn."

    Davoud

  6. #6

    Geoffrey F. Green wrote:

    >> I often find myself standing across a great ideological divide from you,
    >> Davoud, and this is such a time. I am shocked -- shocked!! -- that you
    >> fail to appreciate the value of a glow-in-the-dark keyboard.[/ref]
    >
    >Well, you know, in Apple's favor, there's not a whole lot they can do.[/ref]

    Which raises the question of why make a big deal out of the release?
    They can "feature-bump" without pretending they're changing the world.

    Jim

  7. #7

    Davoud wrote: [/ref]

    >Jim Hill:
    >
    >*****
    >
    >Wrong again, O benighted one. I meant to write "...but at least it has
    >a glow-in-the-dark keyboard. Yawn."[/ref]

    In that case, I have to call attention to another of your failures, that
    being your lack of enthusiam for, um, faster USB ports. Surely _that_
    is worthy of a giant foam finger in the shape of We're Number One! waved
    manically from the cheap seats?

    Jim

  8. #8

    Jim Hill wrote:

    I'm virtually priapic thinking about the new Bluetooth enabled wireless
    meece.

    Unless or until AAPL releases a G5 PB -- and I guess they might have to
    build a new totally perforated case with an included high volume floor
    fan for it -- it's going to be a long and tedious road of incremental PB
    updates.

    [BTW, that just missed the Abbey Road cut: The Long and Tedious
    Road...dot dah..]

    Executive Summary:

    Lower your PB expectations.

    --
    -John Steinberg
    email: invalid

    ....And that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped.
    --Sir Bedevere
    John Guest

  9. #9

    Davoud: [/ref][/ref]

    Jim Hill: [/ref][/ref]

    Davoud: [/ref]

    Jim Hill:

    Davoud:
    As far as I'm concerned, the new PB's are worth some sort a finger
    gesture, for sure. USB 2? 400+ Mb/Sec? Do they make mice that fast?

    Davoud

  10. #10

    Say Davoud, tell us again why you're here?

    --
    Bjorn Nitmo <com>
    Yes, my name is Bjorn and no, I don't work at Ikea.

    Bjorn Guest

  11. #11

    In article <deepsky.com>,
    Bjorn Nitmo <com> wrote:

    I think it's to tell us how much better Intel is, from the perspective
    of a Mac user.

    --
    Matthew T. Russotto net
    of justice is no virtue." But extreme restriction of liberty in pursuit of

  12. #12

    In article <srv.hcvlny.cv.net>,
    John Steinberg <invalid> wrote:
     [/ref]

    Because making a big deal about it tends to boost sales.

    I think a 15-inch PB with the newer improved Airport antenna is a nice
    improvement. But on the whole it's not all that exciting.

    Sounds painful. Hope your underwear's not too delicate.

    Maybe a G5 PB could be a cross-promotion with those George Foreman
    grills, eh?

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  13. #13

    Jim Hill <com> wrote:

    Who's making a big deal out of these new laptops? I haven't
    heard anything from Apple other than an announcement on
    Apple's web site. I also have a 15" Powerbook that I bought six
    months ago and I am very happy with it.

    stan@temple.edu Guest

  14. #14

    Davoud <net> wrote:

    No, but if they made digital cameras with memory that fast, I
    would jump at USB 2.0.

    stan@temple.edu Guest

  15. #15

    Bjorn Nitmo: [/ref]

    I don't owe you an explanation as to why I am here. I've been here
    quite a while -- gotten some help with my six Macs and even managed to
    help some others with their Mac problems from time to time -- or so I'm
    told. I take it that you didn't follow the link in my reply to the OP?
    Here it is again: <http://www.davidillig.com/cinema.shtml>.

    Matthew Russotto:

    I wouldn't have put it quite that way, but if you're talking hardware,
    specifically laptops...

    I recently had to buy a Wintel laptop (I chose a Sony Vaio) to run
    astronomy software that will never be available on the Mac. One can't
    help but make comparisons. Forget the OS; Win XP Pro isn't good enough
    to be called a cheap imitation of the Mac OS. But in terms of speed and
    cost, the hardware is great. 16", 2.6GHz, FW, DVD, 512MB/64MB Vid, two
    card slots, lots of bundled software, much of it junk, but a lot of it
    quite worthwhile, like MS Works (AppleWorks equivalent) and Photoshop
    Elements -- under $2k. Apple can say what it wants about myths, but the
    dual 2GHz G5 is the only machine they make that is (presumably) faster
    than this Vaio in real-world operations -- based on admittedly
    unscientific side-by-side tests with a neighbor's 1.8GHz G5/1GB RAM.
    Elements on the Vaio outran Photoshop on the G5 with the same filters
    and the same file; the same for MSWorks vs. Excel with the same
    spreadsheet. Application loading is faster, and --get this -- network
    operations are faster on my AirPort network when the Vaio is on one end
    of the file transfer. MSIE is much faster at loading pages than Safari
    on the G5 -- both on the same cable modem... you get the idea. The Vaio
    would be a dream machine -- even without the glow-in-the-dark keyboard
    -- if it could run the Mac OS. So I just want a PowerBook this fast,
    that's all. My PowerBooks -- a 300MHz G3 and a TiBook 667 -- are
    getting a bit long in the tooth, and I'm ready to buy, but in this Year
    of the Obsolete PowerBook, it seems that I've got some waiting to do.

    Davoud

  16. #16

    Davoud wrote:
    [large snip]

    [sniparoony]

    I still don't get it. Speed. What is this need for speed? Are we so
    much better at what we do that we cannot use last year's speed? Is it
    true that every user who does not have current devices is crippled?

    If the /only/ metric is speed- as in, must have speed first will worry
    about OS, Unix underpinnings, networking, vulnerability to attacks, blah
    blah blah- only after my speed needs are met- then how can they be
    *ever* met?

    Won't you be hearalding the arrival of 4 GHz ium Pros in a coupla
    years and will be asking how anyone can survive on something that only
    thinks 2 billion times a second?

    I don't understand it. I still manage to "get stuff done" with toys of
    any platform that are sub-maximal in speed. In fact, that has never
    been the issue. Heck, even my dorky Sunbox is a dog- but it runs
    Solaris. Which is what I wanted. I have never had someone call me to
    say: "It simply isn't fast enough", they always call and say 'What is
    this SoBig thing that I have to worry about?' or why can't I run Gimp or
    is there a SSH client for my box or any number of a zillion things that
    seem very simple on MacOS X.
    But I have never had them say: 'If only I was 10% faster, this project
    would be possible'- usually they are outside smoking ten percent of the
    time anyway while the rest of us have chocolate breaks, meanwhile these
    poor machine go through 600 billion cycles, doing nothing.

    cheers, moon

    wheat Guest

  17. #17

    In article <bk7nvv$1le$temple.edu>, edu wrote:

    > No, but if they made digital cameras with memory that fast, I
    > would jump at USB 2.0.
    >[/ref]

    And they do make scanners that exceed USB 1.1. So having USB 2.0 would
    be nice for that alone.

    --
    Hank Shiffman http://www.disordered.org
    Have Opinion, Will Travel org

  18. #18

    In article <bk7plv$h00$cc.utexas.edu>,
    wheat <utexas.edu> wrote:

    > [sniparoony]
    >
    > I still don't get it. Speed. What is this need for speed? Are we so
    > much better at what we do that we cannot use last year's speed? Is it
    > true that every user who does not have current devices is crippled?[/ref]

    There are plenty of tasks that could benefit from every bit of
    performance we throw at them. I have a one minute video I built in
    After Effects that takes almost two hours to render on a 1GHz PowerBook.
    Cut that to half an hour and I could do a whole lot more experimenting
    in the same time and with the same effort.

    Just because you don't see the need for speed doesn't mean there isn't
    one.

    --
    Hank Shiffman http://www.disordered.org
    Have Opinion, Will Travel org
    Mountain View, California
    Hank Guest

  19. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    John Guest
    Moderated Post

  20. #20

    <edu> wrote:

    > No, but if they made digital cameras with memory that fast, I
    > would jump at USB 2.0.[/ref]

    Flash memory may not be as fast as USB 2.0, but it sure beats USB 1.1 in
    speed. That's why you do need USB 2.0 to download your pictures as fast
    as possible.

    --
    Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl
    Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast