Professional Web Applications Themes

New: Canon Rebel XT - Photography

Slight correction, PMA hasn't started yet ;) This is a pre-show announcement. "Charles" <com> wrote in message news:160220052120068126%com... ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Canon Rebel XT

    Slight correction, PMA hasn't started yet ;) This is a pre-show
    announcement.

    Darrell Guest

  2. #2

    > Actually it appears to be a leak of a pre-show or show announcement.
    >[/ref]
    I puzzled over this as the URL is not linked anywhere in the pma-show.com
    website. Perhaps you are correct. Maybe Phil Askey on DPreview has the same
    info but has not released the info. As these reports take a bit of time to
    write, I could guess there is a agreement that they hold the item until the
    official announcement.

    Darrell Guest

  3. #3

    "John Francis" <com> wrote in message

    > >I didn't see any mention of price in a quick scan, but if they're going[/ref][/ref]
    to [/ref]
    but

    > I'd be extremely surprised if it's priced any higher than the 300D
    >[/ref]
    A hint may be yesterday Canon Canada dropped the 300D MSRP by $200, that
    puts it at $999 CDN, My guess is the XT will be introduced at $1000 USD, or
    around $1500 CDN. The 20D body is $1950 CDN in our store as a point of
    reference, the D70 with kit lens is $1500 CDN.

    Darrell Guest

  4. #4

    "Larry" <net> wrote in message

    > > I didn't see any mention of price in a quick scan, but if they're going[/ref][/ref]
    to [/ref]
    in [/ref]
    but

    > I've made a guess at $2000 (US)
    >
    > I think they will do that and continue to sell the original DRebel.
    >
    > I have absolutely no real reason (and no inside info).
    >[/ref]
    As the announcement said USD $899 body, USD $999 camera/lens your guess
    would be wrong. I am however always happy to match any higher price ;)

    Darrell Guest

  5. #5

    Default New: Canon Rebel XT

    New Canon Rebel announced at PMA

    http://www.pma-show.com/review/canon/001_EOS_digital_rebel_xt.html

    --
    Charles
    Charles Guest

  6. #6

    "Charles" <com> wrote in message
    | New Canon Rebel announced at PMA
    |

    | http://www.pma-show.com/review/canon/001_EOS_digital_rebel_xt.html
    |
    | --
    | Charles

    I've often wondered: What is the camera rebelling against?

    Old Dad

    Old Guest

  7. #7

    In article <VBTQd.8431$news.prodigy.com>, Old Dad
    <net> wrote:

    Camera names with a bunch of boring letters and numbers? :)

    --
    Charles
    Charles Guest

  8. #8

    "Old Dad" <net> wrote in message

    being sold to fat lardy d yanks proberbly

    canongirly Guest

  10. #10

    Old Dad wrote:

    > I've often wondered: What is the camera rebelling against?
    >
    >[/ref]

    In the words of a BRMC hard and sullen guy:

    "Wuddaya got?"

    Frank Guest

  11. #11

    Charles <com> wrote in

    > Actually it appears to be a leak of a pre-show or show announcement.
    >[/ref]

    Intentional leak...no doubt.

    --

    Bill
    Woodchuck Guest

  12. #12

    > New Canon Rebel announced at PMA

    I didn't see any mention of price in a quick scan, but if they're going to
    sell it for anywhere near $1000, I'd guess that D70s are going to drop in
    price pretty quickly. It seems much closer to a 20D than the Rebel 300, but
    it's likely not nearly as tough. Still, if it goes for $1000 with kit
    lens...

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    Mike Guest

  13. #13

    In article <VTUQd.668$news.prodigy.com>, mikej1
    ix.netcom.com says...

    Isn't the BG-E3 the same vertical grip the 20D uses? Because that's
    what it's shown with.

    Looks very nice. Although I'd love to have a 20D, if the RebelXT
    provides similar image and noise performance I might have to trade in
    the 10D.
    Brian Guest

  14. #14

    Mike Jacoubowsky <netcom.com> wrote:

    >I didn't see any mention of price in a quick scan, but if they're going to
    >sell it for anywhere near $1000, I'd guess that D70s are going to drop in
    >price pretty quickly. It seems much closer to a 20D than the Rebel 300, but
    >it's likely not nearly as tough. Still, if it goes for $1000 with kit
    >lens...[/ref]

    I'd be extremely surprised if it's priced any higher than the 300D

    The good news for Canon is that it's going to be very hard for anybody
    to compete against this (which is bad for other manufacturers).
    The bad news for Canon is that this is almost certainly going to make
    inroads into sales of the 20D. And I'd guess the 20D has higher margins.

    John Guest

  15. #15

    In article <cv1683$a5a$panix.com>, com says...

    > I'd be extremely surprised if it's priced any higher than the 300D
    >
    > The good news for Canon is that it's going to be very hard for anybody
    > to compete against this (which is bad for other manufacturers).
    > The bad news for Canon is that this is almost certainly going to make
    > inroads into sales of the 20D. And I'd guess the 20D has higher margins.[/ref]

    Hard to say, really. I know there are a lot of 300D users who are
    waiting for an upgrade. They love their 300Ds, but can't resist the
    lure of more pixels and more features. They weren't going to buy 20Ds
    anyway.

    Neither was I, for that matter. The 20D is nice, and I drool over the
    low noise and AF performance, but I simply don't have the funds to
    upgrade. With the new Rebel, I should be able to sell the 10D and my
    28-135mm lens and not have to shell out too much more for the RebelXT
    with the 17-85mm EF-S. I'd consider dropping my 20mm f/2.8, but I love
    that lens in low light too much to get rid of it. Sure, less noise with
    the newer models... but still! I'd rather shoot 1/30th of a second at
    ISO 800 instead of ISO 1600 if I could.
    Brian Guest

  16. #16

    "Brian Baird" <right> wrote in message

    > Isn't the BG-E3 the same vertical grip the 20D uses? Because that's
    > what it's shown with.
    >
    > Looks very nice. Although I'd love to have a 20D, if the RebelXT
    > provides similar image and noise performance I might have to trade in
    > the 10D.[/ref]

    Point of information, the grip for the 20D is the BG-E2, not -E3 as on these
    images of the RebelXT.
    This one may find it's way into our nal. My wife has been complaining
    of the bulk of the 20D with Quantum flash attached, and we've been looking
    for a back up body, this just may be it.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip Guest

  17. #17

    "Brian Baird" <right> wrote in message
    news:verizon.net... [/ref][/ref]
    to [/ref][/ref]
    in [/ref][/ref]
    but

    > > I'd be extremely surprised if it's priced any higher than the 300D
    > >
    > > The good news for Canon is that it's going to be very hard for anybody
    > > to compete against this (which is bad for other manufacturers).
    > > The bad news for Canon is that this is almost certainly going to make
    > > inroads into sales of the 20D. And I'd guess the 20D has higher[/ref][/ref]
    margins.

    I was very close to buying a 20D to replace my 300D. I hadn't even thought
    of checking out the 300D replacement but now seeing it's features I think
    I'll wait for the 350D/XT.

    Greg
    --
    "destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late,
    the battles we fought were long and hard,

    G.T. Guest

  18. #18

    >> > The good news for Canon is that it's going to be very hard for anybody [/ref]
    > margins.
    >
    > I was very close to buying a 20D to replace my 300D. I hadn't even
    > thought
    > of checking out the 300D replacement but now seeing it's features I think
    > I'll wait for the 350D/XT.[/ref]

    The 20D may still be the better choice for many, but it partly depends upon
    how these factors work out on the 350-

    --Build quality. 350 is presumably plastic, while the 20D is Magnesium.
    Could be that this is more about style than actual durability, don't know.

    --Focusing speed. Those into shooting sports have been impressed that the
    20D focuses much more quickly than the original Rebel. Where will the 350
    fit in?

    --Image noise. The Canon PR piece makes it sound like the 350 benefits from
    a later generation of CMOS imaging sensor than the 20D so who knows, could
    be even better? Tests will tell.

    --Shutter noise. Some have complained that the 20D is rather loud; if the
    350 is more subtle, it could be something that the more casual, "discrete"
    enthusiast might appreciate.

    --Quality of the "kit" lens. Canon implies that the 18-55 on the 350 is a
    new version (II). If it has significantly improved optics over the original,
    then the $999 package price for the 350 makes for a pretty attractive
    starter package. If the lens isn't so hot (the original seems not to be
    highly regarded), then you're still several hundred dollars away from a
    really decent body/lens combo, and when the price of the 350 with decent
    lens overlaps the price of a body-only 20D, some might thing, well, gee,
    I'll just save a little bit more money, since I'm already spending as much
    as a 20D alone anyway...

    Just my humble opinion, of course. And it's not just an educational
    exercise; I've been looking very closely at the 20D for taking bike race
    photos and such. But now... if the 350 is close, and with a smaller &
    lighter size making it a bit easier to carry on the bike... but either way I
    can't lose, because if the 350 is really that great a camera, it's likely
    the 20D will come down a bit in price. Life is good.

  19. #19

    In article <VTUQd.668$news.prodigy.com>, mikej1
    ix.netcom.com says...

    > I didn't see any mention of price in a quick scan, but if they're going to
    > sell it for anywhere near $1000, I'd guess that D70s are going to drop in
    > price pretty quickly. It seems much closer to a 20D than the Rebel 300, but
    > it's likely not nearly as tough. Still, if it goes for $1000 with kit
    > lens...
    >
    > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    > www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
    >

    >[/ref]

    I've made a guess at $2000 (US)

    I think they will do that and continue to sell the original DRebel.

    I have absolutely no real reason (and no inside info).

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

  20. #20

    In article <tfXQd.766$news.prodigy.com>, mikej1
    ix.netcom.com says...

    This "plastic" body is probably the first thing that will seperate the 20D
    buyers from XT buyers.

    Canon (corporately)would be CRAZY to have the XT do anything either as well
    as or better than the 20D. Right now the 20D is the goose thats laying
    golden eggs all over Canons corporate lawn, I dont think they want to kill
    ANY sales of the 20D

    I think Canon will set retail for the XT kit almost the SAME price as the 20D
    (body only). Another thing to keep it from killing any 20D sales. This camera
    seems designed to capture the buyer who wants a DSLR, but doesn't want BIG &
    BULKY.

    All of this is simple OPINION, but its based on my own observation of Canons
    past marketing strageties, which overall have shown Canon to not "shoot
    itself in the foot" very often.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.