Active Directory Sites & Services-->%SITENAME%-->Servers-->%SERVERNAME%. Right-click on NTDS Settings, choose Properties. "Global Catalog" is a check-box on the General Tab. [quote] > > 3. If it is a GC, and he takes it down incorrectly, what do I have to be > concerned about being lost?[/quote] Hard to say without knowing what you mean by "take it down incorrectly". If all he did was power the machine down, it should fire back up and start servicing logon requests without complaint. [quote] > > 4. How do I bring the machine back up, fix it and change the IP address?[/quote] Windows 2000/2003 lives and dies by DNS. As long as you update your DNS information for your clients and servers after you make the change to the IP address, you shouldn't have too much difficulty. [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => <#aylFKaXEHA.808@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl> [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Laura E. Hunter \(MVP\) [ip] => "Laura E. Hunte [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 2 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> New client potential problem with GC and IP address change.... - Windows Server

New client potential problem with GC and IP address change.... - Windows Server

I have a new client that is moving all of his office machines to my town. He has contracted me to get him up and running but the problem is that he has no idea what it is that he has other than it is Windows. It may not even be a true server but a workstation. Assuming that it is a server and assuming the worse of it being a Global Catalog, I know that there are issues with changing the IP address of a GC. So: 1. When will a GC even exist? 2. How do I determine ...

Default New client potential problem with GC and IP address change....

I have a new client that is moving all of his office machines to my
    town. He has contracted me to get him up and running but the problem is
    that he has no idea what it is that he has other than it is Windows. It
    may not even be a true server but a workstation.

Assuming that it is a server and assuming the worse of it being a Global
    Catalog, I know that there are issues with changing the IP address of
    a GC.

So:
    1. When will a GC even exist?

2. How do I determine if it is a GC when I'm trying to reconnect it?

3. If it is a GC, and he takes it down incorrectly, what do I have to be
    concerned about being lost?

4. How do I bring the machine back up, fix it and change the IP address?

Thanx, Dave Satchell.

Dave Satchell Guest

Default Re: New client potential problem with GC and IP address change....

Replies inline below:

--
    Laura E. Hunter - MCSE, MCT, MVP
    Replies to newsgroup only

"Dave Satchell" <dsatchellREMOVECAPSaustindvd.net> wrote in message
    news:%23aylFKaXEHA.808tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > 1. When will a GC even exist?
    Global Catalogs are a part of Active Directory, and any Active Directory
    domain controller can be configured as a GC. No Active Directory = No GC.
    No domain controller = No GC.
    >
    > 2. How do I determine if it is a GC when I'm trying to reconnect it?
    Administrative Tools-->Active Directory Sites &
    Services-->%SITENAME%-->Servers-->%SERVERNAME%. Right-click on NTDS
    Settings, choose Properties. "Global Catalog" is a check-box on the General
    Tab.
    >
    > 3. If it is a GC, and he takes it down incorrectly, what do I have to be
    > concerned about being lost?
    Hard to say without knowing what you mean by "take it down incorrectly". If
    all he did was power the machine down, it should fire back up and start
    servicing logon requests without complaint.
    >
    > 4. How do I bring the machine back up, fix it and change the IP address?
    Windows 2000/2003 lives and dies by DNS. As long as you update your DNS
    information for your clients and servers after you make the change to the IP
    address, you shouldn't have too much difficulty.

Laura E. Hunter \(MVP\) Guest

Default Re: New client potential problem with GC and IP address change....

What you describe has always been my experience.

So why is it then that I'm always hearing admins say that if your server
    is a GC then you can't change the IP address without loosing everything?

Also, is there a good source for DNS setup and troubleshooting?
    Something like DNS for Dummys. I've got 10+ years of experience but
    amazingly enough I've never really had to deal with DNS.

Thanx for your help Laura.

Dave.

Laura E. Hunter (MVP) wrote:
    > Replies inline below:
    >
    Dave Satchell Guest