Professional Web Applications Themes

New CS Adjustment Shadow/Highlight - Why not New Adjustment Layer? - Adobe Photoshop Mac CS, CS2 & CS3

It seems that the new image adjustment Shadow/Highlight is a great addition. But why is it not offered as a "New Adjustment Layer"? This would make it possible to decide later on while editing if I wanted to change a setting or remove the adjustment altogether. Am I missing something here? Is there another way to work with such an adjustment and make it editable at a later date? I tried copying or duplicating the background layer, but then I cannot use tools like the clone or healer on the original layer. So, if I do decide to remove the ...

  1. #1

    Default New CS Adjustment Shadow/Highlight - Why not New Adjustment Layer?

    It seems that the new image adjustment Shadow/Highlight is a great addition. But why is it not offered as a "New Adjustment Layer"? This would make it possible to decide later on while editing if I wanted to change a setting or remove the adjustment altogether.

    Am I missing something here? Is there another way to work with such an adjustment and make it editable at a later date? I tried copying or duplicating the background layer, but then I cannot use tools like the clone or healer on the original layer. So, if I do decide to remove the duplicated background layer (to which I apply the Shadow/Highlight adjustment) then I lose the effects created by helaing and cloning tools and the like.

    Looking for help. thanks
    Chess_Edwards@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Because, as already explained -- Shadow/Highlight does things that aren't allowed in adjustment layers. It's just too complicated to be an adjustment layer.
    Chris_Cox@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    That's good to know. is there any way to make this adjustment editable at a later date?
    Chess_Edwards@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    History brush! Take a snap shot!
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks, but that is a method that I am unfamiliar with - Neither History Brush or snapshot. Can you describe? Appreciated.
    Chess_Edwards@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Chess - Duplicate the layer and apply the S/H adjustment to the copy.
    Now you have the option of lowering the adjusted layer's opacity to reduce the effect.
    You can also use a mask on the adjusted layer to remove/reduce areas of the effect that are not wanted. You also have the option of changing this adjusted layers Mode which is handy.

    Chip
    Hexebah@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Yes, but when I duplicate the background layer, then all other effectsare then also applied to that layer (not the original background layer), so I can not delete the duplicated layer later if I decide that I either no longer want the shadow/highlight effect or if I want to modify the effect.

    Is there any way to basically end up with a single layer that only has the Shadow/Highlight effect applied and all other subsequent effects applied to the original background layer?

  8. #8

    If you want the option of non-distructively removing it later, you'll have to make your other modfications first and then apply S/H on a duplicated layer. It'd just have to be one of the latter steps. No other way around it that I can see.
    PShock@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    It's just too complicated to be an adjustment layer.

    Um,

    I need it fixed Chris.
    Mike_Ornellas@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    The history palette records a certain number of operations and maintains a record of the doent to the point that the state of the doent has then ben reached.

    There is a history brush in the tool bar if you select the history brush and choose a brush size or custom brush from the brush palette and you select the state in the history before applying the Shadow and highlights Adjustment then you can use the history brush to paint the areas of the doent you want to revert to the previous state. You might find this very powerful. Not just for this and the History palette allows you to take a snap shot of any state of the doent along the way that you might want to revert back to in total or in part.
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Um,

    Ain't gonna happen Mike.

    Adjustment layers have some limits, and Shadow&Highlight doesn't fit those limits.
    Chris_Cox@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Yes, I know that.

    but, but , but....

    I know the limitations of some adjustment tools, so we need to think about how to implement those kinds of tools in a non linear fashion.
    Mike_Ornellas@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Ok,

    I got it.

    Since non color adjustment layers, are in essence filters and can not be applied in a layer fashion, the solution would be to render the changes out to a duplicated layer of the composited image, OR just the active layer.

    People are duplicating a layer of an image anyways when filters are ran so that the user can always go back to the original.

    Bruce, and Jeff's Pixel genius sharpen filter behaves as such.

    This is my solution to non-linear color adjustments for a Prebinding workflow.

    Done deal.

    breakage solved.

    The cult of personality.......
    Mike_Ornellas@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    I exploite you!

    yet...... you still love me.....

    just stop......... and ......watch .......T....V......!

    the cult of personality...

    the cult of personality...

    the cilt of per-son-nal-ity........
    Mike_Ornellas@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Mike,

    I thinks it's time for your meds!
    Ian_Lyons@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    got meds?

    I don't know Ian.

    I feel just fine here or there or anywhere you can fathom.

    Drugs just dull the pain.
    Mike_Ornellas@adobeforums.com Guest