Professional Web Applications Themes

new digital body - old lenses - Photography

I started with digigal cameras with a simple point and shoot. I'd now like to evolve into a slr system. I have a couple of older Nikon lenses that I used with my Nikon film bodies. A macro lens: Nikon Micro-Nikkor-P.C. Auto 1:3.5 f=55mm A longer lens: Nikkor-Q Auto 1:3.5 f=135mm Is there a Nikon digital body that would allow me to use these lenses? (I am particularly fond of the macro lens for close-up work re: geology /tissue samples) - or are the mount standards different /evolved?...

  1. #1

    Default new digital body - old lenses

    cbrs@silicondairy.net Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: new digital body - old lenses

    net writes:

    Yes, any of them. Also the Fuji DSLRs (S1, S2, S3) and the Kodak
    DSLRs.

    However, the ones based on consumer bodies, including the three
    Fuji's and the Nikon D100 and D70, will not *meter* with these older
    lenses. Given the histogram display and the immediate feedback, I
    don't find this a problem; I use my older AIS lenses quite a lot. But
    some people find it a serious problem, either because of their own
    habits, or the types of photography they do.

    The D1 and D2, and the older Kodak models (before the 14), based on
    pro-level bodies, will meter with these older lenses.
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:net>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
    David Guest

  3. #3

    In article <dd-b.net>,
    David Dyer-Bennet <net> wrote:
    >Yes, any of them. Also the Fuji DSLRs (S1, S2, S3) and the Kodak
    >DSLRs.[/ref]

    Assuming you convert the lenses to Ai.

    could believe what it liked, including the idea that it bad been done by.
    It was allowed to keep its horse, since horses where so cheap to make.
    Philip Guest

  4. #4

    home.cs.vu.nl (Philip Homburg) writes:

    >>Yes, any of them. Also the Fuji DSLRs (S1, S2, S3) and the Kodak
    >>DSLRs.[/ref]
    >
    > Assuming you convert the lenses to Ai.[/ref]

    Hmmmm, I wasn't looking closely enough at exactly the lenses he
    listed! My oldest Nikon lenses date back to 1980, and are AIS; I tend
    to forget that some people may actually be using still older examples!

  5. #5

    "David Dyer-Bennet" <net> wrote in message

    >> Assuming you convert the lenses to Ai.[/ref]
    >
    > Hmmmm, I wasn't looking closely enough at exactly the lenses he
    > listed! My oldest Nikon lenses date back to 1980, and are AIS; I tend
    > to forget that some people may actually be using still older examples![/ref]

    I'm using lenses from the 70's that were recently converted. Great images,
    although I can't use the meter in the camera. Incredible images from my
    55mm macro.

    Sheldon Guest

  6. #6

    In article <com>,
    Sheldon <net> wrote:

    [ ... ]

    >I'm using lenses from the 70's that were recently converted. Great images,
    >although I can't use the meter in the camera. Incredible images from my
    >55mm macro.[/ref]

    Note that some of those lenses (but not all) can be retrofitted
    with a CPU to give you at least the metering, and camera body control of
    lens aperture -- though certainly not the autofocus.

    I have (so far) had one lens converted -- a 180mm f2.8 Nikor,
    which works flawlessly with my D70 -- unless you mind that it records
    the focal length as 300 mm in the information recorded in the photos.
    (It has not been a problem for me, since I don't *own* a 300mm lens to
    confuse it with. :-)

    The fellow who does the conversions may sometimes take longer
    than the lens' owner would like, but it works nicely in my experience
    based on this one example. I'm likely to send off my 20mm f2.8 next.

    Enjoy,
    DoN.
    --
    Email: <com> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    DoN. Guest

  7. #7

    com (DoN. Nichols) writes:

    > [ ... ]

    >>I'm using lenses from the 70's that were recently converted. Great images,
    >>although I can't use the meter in the camera. Incredible images from my
    >>55mm macro.[/ref]
    >
    > Note that some of those lenses (but not all) can be retrofitted
    > with a CPU to give you at least the metering, and camera body control of
    > lens aperture -- though certainly not the autofocus.[/ref]

    Unfortunately, most of the ones I care about can't be. And given how
    badly TTL flash works in the S2, I'm less interested than I might
    otherwise be in chipping the lenses. I've also heard some recent
    reports of problems with the main guy doing it.

    Last I checked the 58mm f1.2 NOCT wasn't eligible (no f1.2 chips). A
    couple of the others are, but it hasn't reached the top of the stack.