Professional Web Applications Themes

New digital cameras? - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

Hi, I was wondering if some of you could give me some recommendations on good digital cameras that are at or under $550.00. I would like to get something that: a) Has a very good picture quality b) Has a good optical zoom c) Is fairly easy to use Thank you for any suggestions that might be given. I greatly appreciate it. Kyle...

  1. #1

    Default New digital cameras?

    Hi, I was wondering if some of you could give me some recommendations on good digital cameras that are at or under $550.00. I would like to get something that:

    a) Has a very good picture quality
    b) Has a good optical zoom
    c) Is fairly easy to use

    Thank you for any suggestions that might be given. I greatly appreciate it.

    Kyle
    Kyle Peterson Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: New digital cameras?

    Canon G2 or G3; recently reduced in price.
    James Dodge Guest

  3. #3

    Addendum: <http://dpreview.com/>
    James Dodge Guest

  4. #4

    The Nikon Coolpix 5700 street price is approaching your price range. It is an excellent camera and feels like a real camera. The Olympus cameras in the range are also excellent. I am really (and have been for 20 years) an Olympus man. Their exposure system has always been great. The 5700, however, with its 8X optical zoom is superior for use in outdoor action photos and in many macro applications.

    There are really so many good digital camera options in this price range that you really need to look at the particular options available and see which are appropriate to your own personal needs.

    Good Luck, John
    Tango45512 Guest

  5. #5

    Yes dpreview a great sight to do some figuring. I would also reccomend getting a camera that uses compact flash since the media is so cheap and you can get 512 MB, 1GB, ...sizes and even the micro drives.
    DOMTEK Guest

  6. #6

    [url]www.cnet.com[/url] is a great place to compare different models side by side, feature to feature, once you start to narrow down your search. they have a great search engine and allow you to bring up multiple user selected cameras to help you wade through the chaff to get to the wheat.
    dave milbut Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks for the help, everyone. I really appreciate the time taken in giving all the responses.

    Thanks again,
    Kyle
    Kyle Peterson Guest

  8. #8

    Kyle
    What do you want to use it for? Digital is great for snaps of the family when you have limited budget, but a great landscape or other picture is very disappointing if you want to enlarge the image beyond 10x8.
    I have an Olympus 4megapixel snapper and once I'd seen the results (some of which were poor because of user error! hands up) I bought a fifty year old Rolleiflex medium format. I let the digital come in once the photograph is in the bag.
    John
    JohnSWhite Guest

  9. #9

    I just wish Olympus would move above 4X optical zoom with a high MP camera.
    They are beginning to be left behind. This from someone that has never own
    anything but Olympus digital cameras.

    nospam Guest

  10. #10

    The Nikon 5700 would be an awesome camera and hard to be if it wasn't so
    slow and weak in low light focusing. Two things that could have been easily
    fixed if the designer had been using all 10% of his brain instead of the 5%
    he was using at the time. If you don't mind slow and poor low light focusing
    it is an awesome camera.

    nospam Guest

  11. #11

    Thanks again for the recommendations.

    Kyle
    Kyle Peterson Guest

  12. #12

    I have been using a Canon Powershot S30 as a complement to my regular 35mm equipment and I'm very happy with the results. But this camera is only 3.3 Mp so I recently upgraded to the Powershot S50 and the quality is very impressive. This is a 5 Mp camera that is easy to use, small in size, and packed with features (if you care to use them). Enlargements up to 11-14 are nice but I would not go much higher since I'm very picky about having tack sharp images.It costs around $500 and I would encourage you to check out review at [url]www.dpreview.com[/url] to see what actual users say.

    good luck

    Guero Guest

  13. #13

    Thanks again.

    Kyle
    Kyle Peterson Guest

  14. #14

    I really like my Olympus C-720, but I hear the C-730 is pretty good too. My 720 is a 3.0 mp 8x optical (3x digital, but I've never used it) nice sized lens. When used properly, I get nice sharp pictures. The effective size is (I believe) 1988 x 1500 (or somthing very close to that).

    It's feature rich, but can be complicated for those who don't know much about photography and it takes a few seconds to focus, but you get really good pictures with bright colors, sharp lines and good resolution.
    Cheesefood Guest

  15. #15

    Howdy Cheesefeed, good to av ya back Dude.
    Thee_DarkOverLord Guest

  16. #16

    TDO, howzzit going, you dyslexic misspelling british freak!
    Cheesefood Guest

  17. #17

    its guong weely goode, who ar you calling dislexick? :-)

    Thats harder than you think, when i try to misspell, I normaly end up getting it right.
    Thee_DarkOverLord Guest

  18. #18

    I have had a Fuji S602 for just over a year and have been very pleased with
    it. You need to decide what you want to use it for, though. I regret the
    size of the Fuji though it does have nearly all the features I wanted. It
    produces excellent prints up to 8x6 and good prints at 10x8. If you want to
    print bigger wait a few months for the Fuji S7000 to hit the streets. This
    is 6m native and 12meg interpolated with a decent zoom aswell.

    My father has just bought a Canon A70 and is well pleased and by all
    accounts produces excellent results and has had excellent reviews though
    [url]www.dpreview.com[/url] havent got around to testing yet. I like its size, not much
    bigger than a mobile phone so you can take it everywhere, and it has a good
    range of manual controls.

    Regards

    Hywel Harris

    "James Dodge" <dodjimphotoplusnet.com> wrote in message
    > Canon G2 or G3; recently reduced in price.

    Hywel Harris Guest