Professional Web Applications Themes

New drives added to RAID 5 (Netfinity 5500) not recognize under SCO Openserver 5.0.5. - SCO

Hi all, I never done this before but I think I'm on the right way. I have a Netfinity 5500 here running SCO openserver 5.0.5. This system run one RAID 5 array of three disks. I have add 3 more disks to this array using ipsadm(logical drive migration option-Add physical drive(s)). 2 disks have been assign "ONL" to the actual array and the other disk has been declared as "HSP"(Hot SwaP Disk). Even if it's a very long process, all step seems to go well. My problem is that before AND after "expanding" the array the SCO df -v command ...

  1. #1

    Default New drives added to RAID 5 (Netfinity 5500) not recognize under SCO Openserver 5.0.5.

    Hi all,

    I never done this before but I think I'm on the right way.

    I have a Netfinity 5500 here running SCO openserver 5.0.5.
    This system run one RAID 5 array of three disks. I have add 3 more
    disks to this array using ipsadm(logical drive migration option-Add
    physical drive(s)). 2 disks have been assign "ONL" to the actual array
    and the other disk has been declared as "HSP"(Hot SwaP Disk).

    Even if it's a very long process, all step seems to go well.

    My problem is that before AND after "expanding" the array
    the SCO df -v command show me the same result. So there must be an
    other step to do(probably under sco) but I don't know what to do.

    I only have /dev/root and /dev/boot as filesystems so I tought that
    /dev/root would expand automaticaly but it's not the case. So I have
    more space in the array and SCO don't see it.

    Can you tell me what step I should do now ? Like I told you, it's the
    first time I do something like this so please be as clear as possible.
    A step by step explanation would be really appreciate.

    Thank you!

    Mike
    Mike Guest

  2. #2

    "Mike" <com> wrote in message

    The disk ( logical scsi volume) is bigger. You need to use divvy to get
    access to extra free space that now exists.

    Rick Guest

  3. #3

    Hello Mike,

    I'm running SCO Unix OSR5.06 with RAID5 array (3hdd's + 1 spare).
    As I'd like to upgrade the array with 2 more hdd's, I contacted the
    ICP-Vortex support (the raid controler is an GDT7523RN) to know the steps.

    The support answered me that SCO Unix couldn't automaticaly grow the size,
    even the array physicaly growed.
    So I have to re-install the OS after merge the 2 more hdd's to the array,
    it's why I purchased the Lone-tar/Air-bag utility to make a speed
    install/restore.
    I didn't make it yet, so I hope these informations help you.

    F. STOCK

    Mike a écrit :

    --
    ****************
    Enlever ".remove-me" dans l'adresse.

    Frédéric Guest

  4. #4

    "Rick Peters" <com> wrote in message news:<3s57b.422201$bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>. ..

    > The disk ( logical scsi volume) is bigger. You need to use divvy to get
    > access to extra free space that now exists.[/ref]

    Can you explain me how to do this because in fdisk I don't see any
    change either. Still the same amount of total space. bizarre ?

    Thank you!

    Mike
    Mike Guest

  5. #5

    "Mike" <com> wrote in message
    news:<3s57b.422201$bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>. ..

    > > The disk ( logical scsi volume) is bigger. You need to use divvy to get
    > > access to extra free space that now exists.[/ref]
    >
    > Can you explain me how to do this because in fdisk I don't see any
    > change either. Still the same amount of total space. bizarre ?
    >
    > Thank you!
    >
    > Mike[/ref]
    What does the IBM raid management program show for the logical drive ? Does
    it not have an expand option to use the extra physical space to either expan
    d the logical disk ( what fdisk sees) or create a new logical disk ?

    Rick Guest

  6. #6

    "Rick Peters" <com> wrote in message news:<g4J7b.433260$bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>. ..
    > news:<3s57b.422201$bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>. ..
    > >
    > > Can you explain me how to do this because in fdisk I don't see any
    > > change either. Still the same amount of total space. bizarre ?
    > >
    > > Thank you!
    > >
    > > Mike[/ref]
    > What does the IBM raid management program show for the logical drive ? Does
    > it not have an expand option to use the extra physical space to either expan
    > d the logical disk ( what fdisk sees) or create a new logical disk ?[/ref]

    After the process of adding drive, the IBM RAID management program
    show me an expanded logical drive as it is suppose to be. But the
    problem is that in SCO, fdisk don't show me this new space. This is,
    in fact, the problem. Even if directly in the RAID manager, the space
    added is showing correctly for the logical drive, SCO don't seems to
    see it at all. I tought there were a step or two to do to make SCO
    "see" it. I'm in the clouds from there. If you have any idea please
    tell me. If I have no news or no lights on it, I will simply backup
    all my stuff and flush the logical drive and array and recreate all
    and then, reinstall the os, patch and so on.

    Thank you!

    Mike
    Mike Guest

  7. #7

    Mike made comment on Thu Sep 11 14:40:52 2003 :
    > > news:<3s57b.422201$bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>. ..
    > > What does the IBM raid management program show for the logical drive ? Does
    > > it not have an expand option to use the extra physical space to either expan
    > > d the logical disk ( what fdisk sees) or create a new logical disk ?[/ref]
    >
    > After the process of adding drive, the IBM RAID management program
    > show me an expanded logical drive as it is suppose to be. But the
    > problem is that in SCO, fdisk don't show me this new space. This is,
    > in fact, the problem. Even if directly in the RAID manager, the space
    > added is showing correctly for the logical drive, SCO don't seems to
    > see it at all. I tought there were a step or two to do to make SCO
    > "see" it. I'm in the clouds from there. If you have any idea please
    > tell me. If I have no news or no lights on it, I will simply backup
    > all my stuff and flush the logical drive and array and recreate all
    > and then, reinstall the os, patch and so on.[/ref]

    That is the best solution BUT ... use one of the supertars - no need
    to reload, re-patch etc - let Edge, Lonetar do that for you.

    divvy will not automatically find the new space, depending on the exact
    layout and experience level you _may_ be able to alter the divvy sizes
    and get away with it. Using a supertar is by far the best option.

    Tom Melvin demon.co.uk http://www.tkrh.demon.co.uk
    Veterinary Solutions Ltd Sysop Compuserve Unixforum
    Tom Guest