Professional Web Applications Themes

New File - Adobe Photoshop Elements

When I have a picture on screen and click new file and choose resolution, etc and then OK it brings up an empty window with a white background and has no effect either on the picture on the screen or any new ones I open. How do you apply that to a specific picture? And speaking of opening pictures, when I use Browse or Browse for file, that window opens below the taskbar where it cannot be seen. I have to restore down from full screen so as to see the top of it to drag it up and then ...

  1. #1

    Default New File

    When I have a picture on screen and click new file and choose
    resolution, etc and then OK it brings up an empty window with a white
    background and has no effect either on the picture on the screen or any new ones I open. How do you apply that to a specific picture?

    And speaking of opening pictures, when I use Browse or Browse for file, that window opens below the taskbar where it cannot be seen. I have to restore down from full screen so as to see the top of it to drag it up and then go back to full screen.

    With regard to the suggestion about the Eclectic Academy, that is appreciated and most likely a good idea. But for now I am just learning this program and graphics per se and find it a little easier to muddle along and throw out my questions as I come to them.
    It may seem silly but I will go there when I am more conversant with "the language." Right now I have no idea what I am doing and wouldn't know a raster from a lossy if my life depended on it.
    BTW, the best book I have found that I can understand is, "Adobe Photoshop Elements 2" by Philip Andrews.
    Louis
    louis Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: New File

    louis, the purpose of the New File, is to create a blank canvas on which to compose a new image. Some people do literally compose from scratch; not me, because I'm not creative enough. I open a New File - also often referred to as a new canvas - when I want to combine two or more pictures into one image, when I want to select just a portion of a picture I have and make it into a separate image file, or when I want to move a number of smaller images to one canvas so I can print them all at once to conserve paper and time. It's not designed to modify any portion of an image file per se. Might you be thinking of creating a new layer when you say you were expecting to see an effect on an existing image?

    Ooops. Meant to add that I'm not good at troubleshooting Browser issues, so I can't help you with that part of your post. :)
    Beth Guest

  3. #3

    louis,

    where it cannot be seen. I have to restore down from full screen so as to
    see the top of it to drag it up and then go back to full screen.

    Yeah that darn thing does hide down there sometimes.

    If you have pictures open and it is hidden down there just go to "Windows"
    on the menu bar up top and then Images / and either tile or cascade.

    Also look at edit / preferences and make sure the "save palette locations"
    is checked. Make sure the "Browser" window is not hidden when you close the
    program or it will remain hidden when you open the program again. (saving
    the location so to speak).

    PeteD

    Pete Guest

  4. Moderated Post